Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    not a lot of people realise that you have to pay this licence if you have 'on hold' music on the telephone
    If only that put more organisations off! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Just had another phonecall from The Performing Rights Society. Converation went like this:

Caller: Hi I am calling from the performing rights society, I need to speak to the owner or manager of this business regarding the music licence for your premises.
    Me: Well I am one of the owners...
    Caller: This call will be recorded for training & monitoring purposes...
    Me: Well I am not giving you permission to record this converstion.
    Caller: Oh right, thanks, bye.

:T

Yay! That's the way to get rid of them!! :rotfl:
  • The PRS are evil.
    I've done some work in the past for a registered charity. They're a hospital radio station, funded by collections and donations, and staffed entirely by unpaid volunteers.

They also have to pay royalties for the songs, albeit at a lower rate than commercial stations.
    It's not even broadcast outside of the hospital - just cabled internally between beds, but it still counts as broadcasting.

This is much the same for every other hospital radio station, although the stations did get together as a collective and argue the charges with the PRS, because what they wanted was totally unrealistic.

I think it's a little different if you're a nightclub or are somehow making money off the back of the music, but to play it in an Oxfam shop or in the accounts department at work really should be excluded from charges as far as I'm concerned.
  • I have heard that music which is over a certain age is exempt - so possibly true.

If my findings are correct:

Although you may have paid to buy your CD or MP3 you haven't paid to own the recording just merely a license to play the song for your own private pleasure. Just the same as computer software, you can use it but you don't own the product.

Music over a copyright age is what is called in the public domain is able to be played without license, I believe, hence why some shops and especially lifts play the likes of Beethovern, Mozart, and Handel (classical music) as it is royalty free. In the uk music is copyrighted for 50 years however elsewhere in Europe it is 70 years yet America is 95 years.

I remember last year Cliff Richard was campaigning to raise the copyright time limits as it quite clearly would put many of his recordings out into the public domain before he has left this little planet without any further rewards for him, the government however turned it down.

I think some of the Beatles first catalogue actually becomes public in 2013 which means you could theoretically use it for anything however reproduction use would still need to be authorised by the owners.

Charity shops only pay £1 per week under an arrangement with PRS.

If you come across a business without a license and is playing music / radio within earshot of customers you can inform on them to the PRS and be rewarded £50 for your efforts.
  • justjims wrote: »
    If you come across a business without a license and is playing music / radio within earshot of customers you can inform on them to the PRS and be rewarded £50 for your efforts.

Unbelieveable :rolleyes: As toasterman said "the PRS are evil".
  • I'd be interested to hear from anyone working at a radio station that has or relies upon advertising to support their income as the listening audience will be shrinking I would have thought. I personally know of at least a dozen or so companies with probably 1000 employees in total that no longer allow radios in the workplace and thus don't listen to any advertising either.

I used to hear a new piece of music on the radio and then go buy the whole album (last year alone I est. around #500), so I can't helping thinking that a PRS music licence in trying to brow beat money out of us is going to rather having an adverse effect on any given musicians income.

I can see the argument for stopping the broadcasting of music that you have purchased but I can't quite get my head around paying for something that is being transmitted to me for free.
  • Just had another phonecall from The Performing Rights Society. Converation went like this:

Caller: Hi I am calling from the performing rights society, I need to speak to the owner or manager of this business regarding the music licence for your premises.
    Me: Well I am one of the owners...
    Caller: This call will be recorded for training & monitoring purposes...
    Me: Well I am not giving you permission to record this converstion.
    Caller: Oh right, thanks, bye.

:T

Yay! That's the way to get rid of them!! :rotfl:

If the PRS were recording the conversation for training purposes, surely that means by their own definition they should pay YOU royalties for benefiting from the conversation, and every time it's played back during training sessions?

Taking that a stage further you could apply that logic to ANY company that recorded the telephone conversations for training purposes, ask for their PRS licence number as you will be receiving royalties.
  • Just tell them you only listen to Talk radio - no music to have to pay a PRS license for then!

This PRS thing is just like the Portable Apliance Testing scare story companies use to make you pay them money "The law says you MUST have everything with a plug inspected every year or you will be fined heavily!" when in fact it is not the case.
  • BagpussBoy wrote: »
    If the PRS were recording the conversation for training purposes, surely that means by their own definition they should pay YOU royalties for benefiting from the conversation, and every time it's played back during training sessions?

Taking that a stage further you could apply that logic to ANY company that recorded the telephone conversations for training purposes, ask for their PRS licence number as you will be receiving royalties.

The problem is we become so used to hearing this on the telephone that we probably don't register it when someone says "this call wil be recorded..."

When I asked my employee about the previous call she had from them, she said she couldn't remember if they said that. I suspect they did and use this in their favour when they catch out unsuspecting employees when they admit they have a radio on in their office. Anyone who gets a company ringing up & asking if they can record the phonecall should be told to get lost in my opinion.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just tell them you only listen to Talk radio - no music to have to pay a PRS license for then!

Or create your own music. :D
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport