Water running out of walls :( help!

This is bizarre and I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and has the answer! Decorated the downstairs wc - looked lovely! Possibly had a not very serious problem with damp in one corner. 3 days after room completed black mould started to appear, complete with fungus (you would not believe how quickly fungus blossoms!) the floor was soaking to the touch the walls quickly became patched with black mould up to half the height,. Had the local water authority round, they tested and said there were no leaks on the main water pipes. It's a single skin wall, and there are no central heating pipes, nothing! Outside it is as if the water is coming out of the bricks at about shoulder height and pooling on the ground! There's nothing happening overhead... You can almost see the water coming out of the bricks but there seems to be no reason for it! It is too extreme surely to be rising damp, which I always thought was far more insidious... Does anyone have any ideas please?

Comments

• tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wrong board. This is the "Boost your income" board. Try 'In my home'.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I've moved this thread for better responses but have left a redirect on the original board so that if OP comes back they can find it again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What was there before you decorated?
    What is the wall made off?
    What did you decorate with (assuming you have used paint will need the brand names and variety etc)?
    As above but wallpaper?
    How is the room painted?
    Lastly if you know how to upload pics then a few of the inside and outside would be useful?
  • Do you have a washbasin in the WC? If so, how does the hot water get to it? Could the hot pipe be running in a channel in the wall?
  • Having seen water coming out of a wall after a chap tried to hang a picture,make sure there isn't a micro-bore copper pipe in the wall. During my carpet-laying days I had a few problems with these as plumbers quite often just cut a notch out of the top of floor joists and run these flexible pipes anywhere.In a very swish four story house in Knightsbridge,a carpenter fixing skirting board to a stud wall on the fourth floor managed to find one going inside the stud work,Quite interesting when I opened to front door on a Sunday morning to finish off the carpets.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Guttering above?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Guttering above?

If the gutters are full of leaves/moss and other blockages, the water can run over the rear edge and then onto the wall.

You know any one with a drone and a camera? send it up and have a quick look and if it looks blocked, get a roofer / handyman (person) to clear it out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure