Anyone else taking Lionbridge Exam next week?

Options

Comments

• Fro-ald
    Fro-ald Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations everyone that has passed :)

I am on my 11 month so expect to get my marching orders pretty soon but have to say that it has been great whilst it lasted - so flexible.
    For all you newbies - you may find the first few weeks a hard slog but don't get despondent. The job has it's frustrations but it is worth it and gets much easier as the weeks go on.

Good luck.

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO TAKE TIME TO POST COMPETITIONS :beer:
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 December 2011 at 7:16PM
    Options
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lexilex wrote: »
    I have a question (probably the first of many)...

What's everyone doing about bank accounts? I don't know whether to use my main account or whether (if I have time) to set up another account for peace of mind.

Also I think I read some banks charge for payment in foreign currency? Anyone know which ones don't?

I have two current accounts - I haven't considered getting a separate one. Halifax are £7 for international receipts over £100 and £2 for under £100. I've just found out though that First Direct don't charge (if the IBAN is used - which it is).
  • wendywhite
    Options
    Hi I have a natwest account and dont think they charge...will research that one (also have nationwide so hopefully oneof them?)

''I am on my 11 month so expect to get my marching orders pretty soon but have to say that it has been great whilst it lasted''

Do they have a tendancy to let u go after the contract period??
  • mrsyardbroom
    Options
    It could be that there's a problem with employment status if a firm keeps giving the same people work all the time. I seem to remember that legislation was brought in to stop people doing this on a long term basis if they weren't actually employing the workers. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
  • Cassiopeia01
    Options
    I'm with Barclays and they don't charge :)
  • PurplePow
    PurplePow Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations to the newly-passed. My advice is to spend an hour or two now, looking over the sight, as there is a lot of information to digest (makes sure you read the SxS/Side by Side guidelines, as they are very helpful and I've found them to be a common task type). Also, check out the Noob webinar.

As soon as you've read a bit, JUMP STRAIGHT IN!!! I found the hardest part starting tasks after logging in, but I've rated for the first time over the last two days and I've actually enjoyed it!

Good luck on getting started in any case.

Question for others out there: Do you need to submit your timesheets at the end of each month, or do Lionbridge take whatever information has been already been saved on there?

P.S. I didn't get my confirmation email until 5am - I was expecting by 3pm the afternoon beforehand. don't worry if it's a bit late :)

Please remember your NDA agreement! Don't want you to get in trouble. I advise you edit your post and take out the task name....

You don't need to submit your timesheets, it's all done automatically, you will recieve an email in the next few days saying it's approved (or not!).
  • PurplePow
    Options
    Well done everyone.
    Don't worry about self employment. Revenue and Customs are really helpful and they'll guide you through everything you have to do, plus there's loads of help on here.:j:j:j:beer:

Must say I'm dreading doing my tax return for this year, I started in April so haven't done it yet, but because I started on 1st April (before I'd even been paid by LB!) I had to do 5 days worth of self assessment, basically inputting what I earn in my fulltime job, but it was confusing enough!
  • PurplePow
    Options
    I have two current accounts - I haven't considered getting a separate one. Halifax are £7 for international receipts over £100 and £2 for under £100. I've just found out though that First Direct don't charge (if the IBAN is used - which it is).

I get paid into a HSBC account and it's no charge. They even send me a letter each time to say what conversion rate was applied.
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Must say I'm dreading doing my tax return for this year
    Honestly, there's no need to dread it. If you do it online it's much easier and you can always ring the helpline for advice if you get stuck. I've been doing tax returns for several years now and never had any problems.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure