PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Move out before sale complete? Advice needed!

Options
My husband and are are selling a property in the south of England in order to relocate to Scotland. This is because my husband started a job up there in August. We knew the job was coming so we put the property on the market back in April and we accepted an offer in July. Until now my husband has been staying in a shared house, renting a room, and I have stayed in England with the children. As we had agreed a sale and it was getting close to completion, we started to rent a house in Scotland this month. It's still empty! I've also had enough of living apart. If I go ahead and move into the rented house while the sale is still ongoing, who do I need to notify about the empty property? A friend tells me it can affect my home insurance, so I will call them and ask. But the same friend also said to check the terms of my mortgage.So I did and I found a clause saying "you will occupy the property yourself unless we agree otherwise in writing". Does this mean I need my lender's consent to move out???

Comments

• Cardinal-Red
    Options
    I am pretty sure the occupy term means you can't let somebody else occupy it, i.e. let it out to somebody.

For the insurance, you probably ticked a box that said the house will not be left unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time. You will just need to inform them that it is now going to be empty. There may well be an extra premium for this especially if you continue to insure contents there.

Neither a bank nor an insurance company can force you to live somewhere, don't worry!
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The lender's condition refers to you renting it out, to sub-letting, not to you moving to a new house.

The insurance while empty is the only issue you have to worry about - typically insurance companies will be referring to it being empty more than 30 days.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have someone who can look in whilst you are away? Your insurance will probably be on the basis that the house is inspected once a week and with the cold whether coming you may need to have the heating on for a while.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The lender's condition refers to you renting it out, to sub-letting, not to you moving to a new house.

The insurance while empty is the only issue you have to worry about - typically insurance companies will be referring to it being empty more than 30 days.
    Though mortgage conditions often also have a similar condition, so you may need lender's consent even if you've put suitable insurance in place.
  • Jenwahh
    Jenwahh Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all - that's so helpful. I'm going to call the insurance now. I can leave keys with my very well trusted neighbours and can have them look in on it for me every few days. Then I will probably also keep popping back every few weeks myself just until the sale is all done.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Rad the insurance policy. Some allow up to 30 days unoccupied, some 45 or 60 days.

If longer than allowed, call them. You may have to ay extra, or your cover may be reduced (eg no cover for burglary). And yu may have to take cerain actions eg
    * drain down the water
    * turn off the gas
    * get the property visited/checked once a week
    etc

If you move your furniture out, you may get a discount off Council Tax - read your council's website.

TV licence? Not sure if you can 'transfer' that to your new rental, or get a refund.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    Jenwahh wrote: »
    My husband and are are selling a property in the south of England in order to relocate to Scotland. This is because my husband started a job up there in August. We knew the job was coming so we put the property on the market back in April and we accepted an offer in July. Until now my husband has been staying in a shared house, renting a room, and I have stayed in England with the children. As we had agreed a sale and it was getting close to completion, we started to rent a house in Scotland this month. It's still empty! I've also had enough of living apart. If I go ahead and move into the rented house while the sale is still ongoing, who do I need to notify about the empty property? A friend tells me it can affect my home insurance, so I will call them and ask. But the same friend also said to check the terms of my mortgage.So I did and I found a clause saying "you will occupy the property yourself unless we agree otherwise in writing". Does this mean I need my lender's consent to move out???

Obviously not.....

It's to ensure you don't let it out to other people.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Rad the insurance policy. So allow up to 30 days unoccupied, some 45 or 60 days.

If longer than allowed, call them. You may have to ay extra, or your cover may be reduced (eg no cover for burglary). And yu may have to take cerain actions eg
    * drain down the water
    * turn off the gas
    * get the property visited/checked once a week
    etc

If you move your furniture out, you may get a discount off Council Tax - read your council's website.

TV licence? Not sure if you can 'transfer' that to your new rental, or get a refund.
    Yep you can, it's easier than getting a new one.
  • Jenwahh
    Jenwahh Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I called my insurance and they said that if the sale completes within the next 60 days then it's all fine and I don't need to do or change anything. If it takes longer than that, then I just have to give them a call and they can amend my policy by adding an unoccupancy endorsement. Happy days!
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Jenwahh wrote: »
    they can amend my policy by adding an unoccupancy endorsement.

But as GM said that may include reducing your policy to FLEA cover, there are a few insurers out there that will give you full cover on a month by month basis. OCASO is one I have used in the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure