Hand foot and mouth claim

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably as soon as you read the notice you asked to move hotels.

Given the OP's responses it seems moving hotels ranked lower on the list than apportioning blame and the subsequent claim :mad:
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's a risk you take when you go on holiday with small children. Sickness, chickenpox, hand foot and mouth etc, they're all illnesses that most kids get at some stage, wherever they might be. To prevent it, don't ever go anywhere.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    meer53 wrote: »
    It's a risk you take when you go on holiday with small children. Sickness, chickenpox, hand foot and mouth etc, they're all illnesses that most kids get at some stage, wherever they might be. To prevent it, don't ever go anywhere.

Wouldnt that be what a no win no fee ambulance chaser would say ? and even if they took the case the holiday companies are now fighting back
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    meer53 wrote: »

One year my son went down with mumps on the first day of our holidays
  • It's amazing the negativity and unhelpful-ness on these forums. I originally asked if anyone had ant experience of these NWNF claims. I never once said I will sue everyone and blame everyone, nor that people shouldn't get sick while on holiday.

As for the person who suggested my first priority was claiming over changing hotels, you need to look at your own priorities.. my first one was to pay for private medical care that isn't covered by the insurance I took out, as it meant him being seen an hour sooner!

And yes I asked to move hotels also, TUI have since been in touch saying that my child should have been placed in isolation to prevent spreading.. he wasn't, so they have admitted it was their fault and are coming back to me in means of compensation.

Honestly though, thanks for all your help, remind me of all this good will when you need a question answering!
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's amazing the negativity and unhelpful-ness on these forums. I originally asked if anyone had ant experience of these NWNF claims. I never once said I will sue everyone and blame everyone, nor that people shouldn't get sick while on holiday.

As for the person who suggested my first priority was claiming over changing hotels, you need to look at your own priorities.. my first one was to pay for private medical care that isn't covered by the insurance I took out, as it meant him being seen an hour sooner!

And yes I asked to move hotels also, TUI have since been in touch saying that my child should have been placed in isolation to prevent spreading.. he wasn't, so they have admitted it was their fault and are coming back to me in means of compensation.

Honestly though, thanks for all your help, remind me of all this good will when you need a question answering!

That reads to me as if other people can claim as TUI didn't isolate your child and they caught it off him - however why can you claim?
  • 814man
    814man Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The answer to Royston's point questioning the helpfulness of users on here, or lack of it, I'd suggest is this. Those of us who frequently read and interact of this forum tend I suspect to be on the whole seasoned travelers who like to be able to offer a money saving tip to a fellow traveler or share an experience in the hope others find it useful. The majority of posters on here receive a genuine response to a well founded question with most forum members going out of their way to post helpful replies.
    However there does seem to be an increasing number of folks who sign up for accounts just to ask how they can sue, get compensation, or rant about generally minor examples of perceived poor service or experiences. I think this rather misses the point and the aims of the web forum and I have to say that at times these users can occasionally get responses they dont like.
  • It's amazing the negativity and unhelpful-ness on these forums. I originally asked if anyone had ant experience of these NWNF claims. I never once said I will sue everyone and blame everyone, nor that people shouldn't get sick while on holiday.

Hopefully the doctor visited you in your room. The tour operator can't insist a child is isolated. Only a doctor can do that, and the private doctor you paid to see obviously didn't see it as being necessary. I could almost see why they would compensate the people who caught it from your child, both on the flight and in the hotel, but why would they compensate you for not having your child isolated?
  • If they didn't want to pass it on they would have isolated their own child.
    Doesn't look like they did.
    I can't get over the greed of some people.
    Probably hoping for a million lol
    travelover
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Getting food poisoning from a hotel can be claimed for, if you can prove It, due to it being caused by negligence and poor practices by the restaurant. If they did things right there wouldn't be food poisoning. However it's hard to see what a hotel or travel company have done wrong if someone catches a contagious illness from other hotel guests. They can't be responsible for people arriving ill, coughing into the air, touching handrails just before someone else does, etc. Even if they know there are a number of cases in the hotel they don't know who else is contagious but not got symptoms yet or who else arriving might already be spreading the illness. Plus it often can't be proved that people caught an illness in the hotel and a high number of cases isn't proof as they coukd have all caught it on the same flight or be due to an epidemic back home.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport