Tesco insulation

I am looking at the promotion for free cavity wall insulation. I would be interested to know of any one who has had this done through Tesco and their experiences.

I have also heard horror stories of damp problems following insulation, should I be put off?

The house is a 1988 semi-detached that I am looking to have insulated.

Thanks

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Are you sure that your 1988 property doesn't have it already?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Joewise
    Joewise Posts: 13
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    Are you sure that your 1988 property doesn't have it already?

Cheers

What is the best way to check this?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Drill a test hole through a mortar joint.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    Drill a test hole through a mortar joint.

AND ??????!!!!!!helpful but useless information really. Depending what type of build it is .Many 1988ish buildings have timber frames some types dont have nor need insulation. before drilling a hole in your wall then stand there looking at it . Try turning your eleccy off and taking a plug socket /light switch off and looking through there if you have any internal cills need replacing do it a while your at it look for your cavities and what insulation, drill out a external brick and have a nose or as macman says drill a hole hire a boroscope and check that way. you can call in a expert and get a free estimate assesment and quote to do it, there are grants around atm but a 1988 house should be properly insulated
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Joewise
    Joewise Posts: 13
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for your advice, I really am unsure if it has insulation. When the house was surveyed it was assumed that it was insulated. I may just have them round to inspect.

As for my other request has anyone any experience of insulation through the Tesco stuff?

Thanks
  • I guess no one has used them yet then?....
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    We tried last year but the surveyor said our cavities weren't suitable.
  • The best thing to do is apply, they send out an assessor for free, who will know if your house is suitable, if it is, they drill holes and look in the cavity with a special tool, a bit like a doctor. Our house was built in 92, but didn't have insulation.
    We had ours done by Tesco a couple of years ago and had to pay around £200 for both wall and loft insulation, and has been one of the best things we have done to the house, makes a big difference, and would guess has paid for itself now.
    Tesco used a contractor who were great, and the work was done within a couple of hours.
  • surfergilbert, how intrusive is the process?

We had our walls repainted 6 months ago, now thinking about insulation (not great planning, I know) and was wondering what the impact of the insulation process on the paint job was going to be.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    We had it done by a Tesco nominated contractor and had nothing but praise for the standard of work.

My only comment was that when the assessor came round, I told him that I did not want polystyrene pellets as I am petrified of what happens if ever there is a fire - I know it's unlikely to have a fire within a cavity wall but nevertheless ... He simply accepted what I asked and arranged for blown white mineral fibre to be used instead.

I recently had some of the soffits and fascias replaced with upvc and it was reassuring to see that the 'woolly jumper' comes right up to the roof timbers with no gaps. Hope that helps you make a decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure