PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning Advice - a bit delicate.....

One of my cats poo'd underneath the computer desk this morning :mad: and needless to say it went all over the wires, plug & trailing leads :eek: I spent a good half hour on my hands & knees cleaning it with Stardrops & bleach, unplugged everything & wiped every individual lead but I can still smell it :confused: I cleaned the floor, skirting, every nook & cranny & I swear I can't see anymore ...... but I can still get a faint whiff. Any ideas? I wondered about mopping under there with biological washing powder but wondered if there's anything else? Sorry if you're eating your tea :o

Comments

• Have you tried bicarbonate of soda sprinkled over the area?

When our cat became incontinent - I was convinced I could smell the "smell" even after I had washed and cleaned the areas - I sprinkled bicarb on the carpeted areas and left it over night then hoovered it up - it seemed to do the trick.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Have you got any vodka ? I got this tip from another poster on here, vodka takes the smell out of almost anything, if you have some, wipe everything down with neat vodka.

If you can still smell it, sit down and drink the rest :D :beer: , no really, perhaps the room needs a good airing xx
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :eek::eek::eek: Poor you!

I second baileysbattlebus - I think bicarb sprinkled liberally and left for a good few hours, then vacced up should do the trick.

[I don't think I could have done that job without contributing to the stuff to clean up - if you see what I mean:D]
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice everyone. No vodka so I've poured bicarb up against the edge of the flooring/skirting board & will leave until tomorrow. I do wonder if it's me that can 'smell' it more because I know what was there :rolleyes: Thanks again!
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    There really is something "special" about cat poo isn't there? It amazes me that something so little can make such a stinking mess! Luckily for me the odd time our cat has had an accident she's been considerate enough to do it on the lino next to the loo so it's easy to clean up!
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I find that Bicarb is good for most really bad smells. A milk carton dripped in the beer fridge and went unnoticed until it got minging. I sprinkled bicarb over it and forgot about it....took the smell away though. So when I found it again, I left a wet cloth on top of the spill and wiped it away.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family