Cost of chimney Sweep

Hi

I am currently refurbishing my lounge and have removed the fireplace (and attached back boiler). Plasterers are currently at work tidying up.

I understand I need to have my chimney swept and the tubing removed . The fireplace company told us this and I got a quote from their recommended company and it is £250+VAT for 2hrs work. Is this right?

I have heard quotes of £40-£50

Please help here

Comments

• feclmum
    feclmum Posts: 216 Forumite
    it vcost me £25 to have my chimney swept dont know about removing the tubing
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    It's going to cost me £45.00 to have my chimney swept next week for the first time in about 60 years. Can you not pull out the tubing yourself or ask one of the plasterers to get it.
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just been quoted £28.00 for our chimney to be swept. This was from the company where we buy are coal from.
    Sorry never heard of having tubing removed from a chimney. (Goes off to google).
    Maybe a phone call to your local coal merchants, might be cheaper.

You learn something new everyday http://www.chimneyline.com/chimneyliningtechniques.htm
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • oslamp
    oslamp Posts: 54 Forumite
    The 'tubing' is the chimney liner that is still present. Note I also had a back boiler as part of this fireplace. Rarely used nowadays. It needs to be replaced and I have read up this is a job left to the pros.

I think it will be more than £40 but £250 seems excessive
  • By tubing do you mean a corrugated gas/oil flue liner ?
    These are usually fixed to an aluminium terminal on top of the chimney; would probably require going on the roof to remove and make good with new chimney pot.
    What fuel are you going to burn in the fire place?
  • evilgoose
    evilgoose Posts: 532 Forumite
    To have a lined flue and a back boiler (on an open fireplace) seems an odd combination, I wouldn't have expected the chimney to have a lining if its an open fireplace and old enough to have a back boiler.

I recently paid about £150 for four chimneys to be swept.

If there is a flue then it should be clamped to the chimney pot at the top end, (so dont yank it down!!) and depending on how its fitted, it will be packed around the outside (between the lining and the innerface of the chimney) with vermiculite, then a register plate at the bottom of the fire. (I thought that flue lining tends to be for stoves and gas fires)
  • oslamp
    oslamp Posts: 54 Forumite
    Fuel type - Will be using Gas

Liner - yes the liner is the corrugated gas/oil flue liner
  • Can't understand why it would need sweeping if you had gas.:confused: The act of pulling the old liner out should dislodge any dust or soot in the chimney if it was previously a coal fire.

Unless you are using a balanced flue system you will have to put a new liner up the chimney.
  • Before you pay anyone to do anything, what do you want from your fireplace once you have had a refurb ?

I am a hetas engineer and as part of course of installing a new woodburner or open fire, we would remove the old liner, sweep and then proceed to put in a new liner etc.

Just think about what you want the end product to be and you may well be able to get a registered hetas engineer to do the lot for a lot less money.
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    My sweep does my chimney for £12, can you not buy a set of rods and do it yourself....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure