MSE EE broadband deal : We want your feedback

Options
Former_MSE_David_P
Former_MSE_David_P Posts: 13 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 8 October 2014 at 11:25AM in Phones & TV
Hi all,

In our broadband guide EE is in our top picks.

We're after feedback from people who have applied this offer and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the broadband.

Thanks for all help in advance

Comments

• lexington013
    Options
    Hi David, I registered for the offer about 6 weeks ago (the Amazon voucher was £100 at that time). Very straightforward, cancelled my talk talk account, requested the MAC code, no problem, passed MAC code to EE. New router arrived on time, switch over was painless, paid my line rental upfront as per the terms of the deal and I'm now enjoying broadband with no hiccups for £2.50 a week. I'm delighted. Customer service was great from EE.:j
  • Brightone
    Brightone Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. Delighted to share my experiences of the EE/Amazon offer, which I took when it was highlighted on Martin's weekly email.

I moved house back in spring and couldn't take my existing service with me (the new home is not in a Virgin Media area). I applied on line for the EE offer and completed the forms on 16th April. I chose to pay a year's line rental in advance in order to keep costs as low as possible. My router arrived very quickly, but my connection date was given as 2nd May. And, indeed, on 2nd May the service was connected.

The broadband service isn't too bad and I have had very few drop-outs. I am getting speeds of 10 to 12 Mbps and the router itself gives very good coverage throughout the house.

My only problem was the £120 of Amazon vouchers. After three months I had heard nothing, so contacted EE for assistance and they initially told me to contact MSE. When I queried this, they said to contact Amazon instead. Their customer service team clearly knew nothing about the offer, nor what to recommend to customers when they made an enquiry. In this respect, I would say EE scored 0/10 for customer service.

However I found another thread on the MSE forums which pointed me towards the company handling the promotion on behalf of EE (you'd think that EE could have given me the same information). A few emails, some additional information, and I've just had confirmation that the £120 will be paid this month. This promotion company were excellent in their service and I always had prompt, polite, clear replies. If EE scored 0/10 then this company was worth 10/10.

So in summary, despite some problems along the way, I am very happy with my broadband which is effectively costing me a few pounds a month including line rental. Whether I stay with them in a year's time remains to be seen - there may be better offers out there.
  • snortmaiden
    Options
    I signed up for this deal earlier this year and my 'go live' date was 30 April. This meant that the £120 Amazon voucher should have been sent to me by 30 July.

I signed up for the line rental saver and received a confirmation e-mail. When I received my first bill, it showed a monthly charge, so I contacted EE. The person I spoke to advised that it could take a month or two for the the line saver to be shown, but I was definitely signed up to it and would receive the discount. I was told the same thing on subsequent months until early August, when I was told that I wasn't signed up for line saver (even though I had an e-mail proving that I was)

I was less than happy with this and my call was transferred to Customer Retention. The person I spoke to tried to fob me
    off with an offer of 3 x £4.75 credit for previous months and setup Line Saver rental from then on (so I'd enter a new 12 month contract) I advised that I wasn't happy with this and I wanted the Line Saver deal back dated to my contract start date.

The CSA I spoke to checked with a manager than advised they
    weren't able to do this. I asked to speak to a manager and was to have to wait 48 hours for a manager call .

I advised that this wasn't acceptable and demanded to speak to the manager. CSA then told me that his manager wasn't in, so I asked to speak thee manager that he had just spoken to. He tried to fob me off again and I insisted.

My call was then transferred to Ben Sawyer, manager of Pre-Live Cancellations team. After much argument, he offered to credit my account with 3 x £4.75 in respect of the May, June and July bills and place a recurring credit onto my account for the
    next 9 months so the effect would be as if I had Line Saver. I agreed to this and asked for written confirmation, which he was unable to issue.

When I received my next bill, the credits had been correctly applied. However, I spent approximately 2 hours on the phone between May and August and only got the result I did through sheer force of personality (i.e. I shouted a lot) I shouldn't have had to insist that EE honour a contract that they had entered into with me - a lot of people would have given up or been persuaded into extending their contract to get the line saver.

The Amazon voucher has yet to materialise. On 31 July, I contacted eevouchers@affiliatewindow.com to advise that I hadn't received my vouchers. I received a reply from Harry.McFarlane@affiliatewindow.com asking for my DKI order reference, which I provided on 15 August. A few days later, Harry e-mailed to say: I have asked Amazon to resend your voucher, please check your spam/junk folders and general inbox. It will be with you in the next couple of days, hope this helps.

I haven't received my vouchers yet and follow up e-mails to Harry have gone unanswered. I have also contacted Amazon, but they are unaware of a request for vouchers to be sent to me.

All in all, I don't feel that Martin Lewis / MoneySavingExpert should be promoting EE / Affiliate Window as they don't seem to think it is necessary to honour contracts and offers made.
    Snortmaiden
  • yorks1956
    Options
    I

I haven't received my vouchers yet and follow up e-mails to Harry have gone unanswered. I have also contacted Amazon, but they are unaware of a request for vouchers to be sent to me.

All in all, I don't feel that Martin Lewis / MoneySavingExpert should be promoting EE / Affiliate Window as they don't seem to think it is necessary to honour contracts and offers made.

I agree, I had a bad experience with EE, refused to let me have the voucher offer, managed to get out of it and sign up with Sky (another MSE deal) but again having trouble getting my vouchers, Sky say it's not their problem as the deal was with MSE. Affiliate window and MSE wont respond to my emails

Bet this debacle never appears on a Martin Lewis TV programme
  • moband
    Options
    I have just signed up with EE to take advantage of the £120 Amazon Voucher - now I am having concerns. EE rang me and during the conversation I asked about the £120 voucher offer - they are not accepting any responsibility. Amazon say the same. I have emailed eevouchers@affiliatewindow.com, no reply so far.
    I am really surprised that MSE are not helping in this matter. You give advice and then, it seems, you wipe your hands of it. Shame on you. Are you going to do the decent thing and get involved to ensure your readers are treated well.
  • jp01_2
    jp01_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I very nearly pulled the trigger on this deal.
    Fortunately I read these websites before I made my decision.

http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/ee/reviews/page:all/

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/review/ee/comment
  • MA61
    MA61 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

First of all I wanted to say that I have been using MSE for years and use it as a reliable, quick and impartial source of information. Recently, users on the forums have been great help to me also.

I do have some thoughts about the EE Broadband deal which I would like to share. Please feel free to set me straight if I am being unfair or misguided in any way.

Having just purchased my first property, I came to MSE to look at sourcing the cheapest broadband deal. Having read the EE offer, and trusting MSE (I can do my own research when required using comparison sites etc, but why re-invent the wheel?) I decided to plump for the EE offer with £120 Amazon Voucher, as this seemed like a no-brainer, being equivalent to less than £5/month, accompanied as it was by blurb about being 'staggeringly cheap' etc. Furthermore, I even got my partner signed up to it last Sunday as well, in her flat.

Note that I didn't do much other research, other than a precursory glance at broadbandchoices website (and I make no apologies for this, as this is what I thought MSE was for). Yesterday I happened to notice that Quidco are offering £130 cashback for taking out the same deal, and have been for some time. Now I know that cashback is not guaranteed, but this seems to be through an affiliate link that takes you to a dedicated EE / Quidco page, and in my mind the cashback seems extremely likely to track (98% according to Quidco).

To me £130 cash is a much better offer than a £120 Amazon voucher, particularly reading on the forums the difficulty people are having receiving their vouchers.

I know I will probably get flamed for this, and buyer beware, DYOR etc, but I do feel as I was misled slightly, to my detriment. I know MSE does make money from clicks through and is open about this, but I can't help but feel that it was money talking on this occasion. Or is this because of a policy to not ever count cashback in a deal as read, because it is not guaranteed?

Grateful for others' thoughts. Not sure I will cancel for the sake of £10 (or effectively £20 if you include my partner)...but it has been a salutory lesson... Oh and yes, I'm pretty skint at the moment, so every tenner does make a difference!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MA61 wrote: »
    Yesterday I happened to notice that Quidco are offering £130 cashback for taking out the same deal, and have been for some time. Now I know that cashback is not guaranteed, but this seems to be through an affiliate link that takes you to a dedicated EE / Quidco page, and in my mind the cashback seems extremely likely to track (98% according to Quidco).
    It's a good point that people should shop around, but it looks like the Quidco offer is £130 for the more expensive Anytime calls package and only £100 for the standard Weekend calls (which is the same as the new voucher value offered by MSE as of Tuesday this week). Arguably, a £120 voucher (pre-14th October) is better than £100 cash if you are happy to shop at Amazon, but with the latest offers it could be argued either way. I got in just before the £120 voucher was pulled, so while I wasn't aware of the cashback offers elsewhere, I don't regret my decision now (just checked Topcashback and they're offering only £70.70).

Personally, I've previously had some issues with Quidco and have waited almost a year for a claim for one item that didn't track. By contrast it looks like Affiliate Window is a bit more responsive on untracked claims (at least from feedback posted here). Time will tell... it will be another 3 months before I'll find out if I get my voucher.

So far, my order has been dealt with pretty efficiently. Already have my Bright Box router (within 1 week) and broadband live date is Monday.
  • MA61
    MA61 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It's a good point that people should shop around, but it looks like the Quidco offer is £130 for the more expensive Anytime calls package and only £100 for the standard Weekend calls (which is the same as the new voucher value offered by MSE as of Tuesday this week).

Thanks for the response. But on the Quidco page (sorry not able to post link) it says "Buy 12 months broadband and weekend calls for £2.50 a month" under the £130 cashback on the right hand side?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2014 at 3:29PM
    Options
    MA61 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. But on the Quidco page (sorry not able to post link) it says "Buy 12 months broadband and weekend calls for £2.50 a month" under the £130 cashback on the right hand side?
    Did you notice the "Earn up to" just above the £130 in a smaller font? The actual rates for each option are on the left hand column.

Edit: the text you quoted states, in full, "Buy 12 months broadband and weekend calls for £2.50 a month or broadband and anytime calls for £7.50 a month for 6 months", so they are able to state "Earn up to £130 cashback" because you can earn £130 if you go with the anytime calls option, but because it is "up to £130", other options mentioned need not pay cashback at that same rate.

On the left hand column, they state "for all new customer ADSL & weekend calls broadband packages - Exclusive cashback £100".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure