Virgin Media Retention thread

Comments

• W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They didn't budge much at all. :confused:

Ended up having to reduce my broadband from XL to L (20mb to 10mb) and give em back the 2nd set top box.

My 20mb broadband was very rarely 20mb, with downloads starting at 1,800-1,600kbs and dropping rapidly to 600-800kbs (It wasn't traffic management). These speeds were from newsgroups and even their own gamefiles server. I complained 3 months running from last October and have given up on them ever doing anything about it. Now if my 10mb isn't 10mb I'll be giving them hell.

Final bill £37 per month and unfortunately, it's a new 12 month contract. :(
  • Timbolla
    Timbolla Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was on a discount package and then it jumped from £39 to £47 / month, which included about £3/month phone calls.
    I rang up at the start of last month on Monday 2nd June and got a reasonable deal £39 :smiley:, but not a great one :sad: . When I rang back to them on Friday 27th I couldn't get them to budge.
    Got through to disconnections / customer retention and got 10mb Broadband, XL TV package and national & local evening & weekend calls free for £36 :D . I have had to pay £75 for the V+ box, but with some haggling I got a discount on the package to £34 / month:j :j :j . Not bad for 25 mins work.

Ammunition used
    Sky £21 / month (like XL TV package)
    Sky broadband £5 / month (8mb)
    BT line rental £10.50 /month.
    Also let them know that you have a friend with Sky and can get you a Sky+ box for free. This does not to be technically true, but if they don't budge enough you put a post on one of the Forums here you will get a "Friend" as they either get a Sky+ free or £50 in M&S vouchers.
    Also check the max speed you can get for broadband through a BT line on http://www.samknows.com as this will give you the edge as you can quote max speed to them first.
  • rams_2
    rams_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    just phoned virgin and managed to get £10 a month reduction on my virgin package, i tried to get a better deal but they said that was the best they could do......and believe me i did try and get a bigger reduction ......but hey £10 is better than nothing......it all helps....so i have exactly the same package as before... but for £10 a month less. many thanks for the advice i received from people which was greatly appreciated.
    regards
    rams
  • Stesnees
    Stesnees Posts: 13 Forumite
    2 mb broadband, telephone (eve &w/kends) and full telly package, sports, films, adult channels, mutv etc............. £14.50 per month :beer:
    I'm not a gynecologist but I'll certainly take a look!:D
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Last year i bought a wireless router from the Virgin website and send the receipt to Virginmedia for a refund when they were offering free wireless router. They have not paid me yet. It is on the system. Who can i complain to?
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • JediMaster
    JediMaster Posts: 34 Forumite
    I've been with NTL / VM for 8 or 9 yrs now. 7 months ago my bill was £48 - £49 without Calls...

- £24.99 Large B/Band (4mb)
    - £11 Phone Line
    - £7.95 Talk Unlimited 24/7
    - £5 Analouge TV

So I saw on the nthellworld.co.uk site many saying that they ring up every year for a NEW deal. So I tried it. I said I was not too happy with my B/Band price & was offered a £7 reduction. Great I thought. Worth a call. Had this price now for 7months & the EXTRA £1 off for eBilling.

Now the last week I saw the offer on VM site about "Sweet 16". I phoned VM & was told by an Indian lady I was not allowed this offer as its for New Members. After a post at nthellworld.co.uk I was told that I should ring again & say I want to leave.... So I did.

Now I have the Sweet 16 (installed next week).

- £16 for Large B/Band (4mb)
    - £18.95 for the Talk Unlimited 24/7
    - FREE Digital TV (40chan)

New Monhly Bill will be £34.95
  • dteiss
    dteiss Posts: 49 Forumite
    I have been with NTL/Virgin Media 5 years now and I had a situation very similar to the one posted by W1zz on 9 July.

I was promised 3 for £30 for LIFE when I moved house last year because I was not too pleased to lose the Sky channels. This was around the time when they were losing a lot of people to Sky.

The deal was for the following:

Phone M (weekends only)
    Broadband M (2 MB)
    TV XL

So I was a bit annoyed when I went to check my latest online bill - over £54 They were charging me £11.50 extra for both this month and last month, i.e. after the 12-month period came to an end - even though it was supposed to be a LIFETIME deal. :mad:

So I gave a call to Retentions this morning.

I kept calm and friendly and immediately the nice lady offered me the same 3 for £30 FOR LIFE again (12 month commitment) or £35 a month with Broadband L (10MB) + free evening calls. However this time the life deal would be confirmed by letter which it wasn't last time.

I don't really need the free evening calls, so I accepted the initial deal. I know people out there have got a better deal than me but I have been quite happy with the service so far and I didn't really want to ask for more (a V+ box would have cost me £75 to install).

So, all in all, although I am annoyed that VM can get away so easily with honouring previous "lifetime" deals agreed on the phone, I am quite pleased that the situation is back to what it was before. icon7.gif
  • nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Just finished speaking to richard in customer relations and he did me a good deal, ive been with vm for 2 1/2 years and previously had family tv, 2mg bb and unlimited calls to lline which i was paying £42, when i spoke to richard he offered me the same package for £35.95 or weekend free calls on the lline 2mg bb and family pack for £31.45, i dont really use the phone so took that offer, then i cheekily asked is that for a year or can you do it for a life time, he said that when the year is up they will apply the discounts to make it the price it was>>>(we'll see about that in a year), but it goes to show that if you dont ask you dont get...just saved myself £126.60 for a phone call that was free.......oh and also wasnt kept hanging on the phone either....A* to VM:j :j :j :j
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• Hi,

Just been on the phone to retentions. I called up and cancelled my Virgin Package as I am currently paying around £33 per month for:

XL Phone
    M Broadband
    M TV

I think this is too much and managed to get offered the following deals:

£26.49
    XL Phone (Talk unlimited)
    M Tv
    L Broadband - 10mb
    V+ for a one off payment of £30

I pointed out that if I go with Talk Talk I get

Phone - Unlimted UK National Calls
    Broadband - 8mb

for £16.99

then i go with Top Up Tv+ for £9.99

Total: £26.98 per month

it gives me effectively:

Virgin Phone XL
    Virgin Broadband L - 10mb
    Virgin V+ with L Tv

I refused the deal and told them I would go with Talk Talk. I don't think retentions will call back either despite the fact it costs them absolutely nothing to keep me and they are losing a loyal customer for over 10 years.

Has anyone managed to get anything similar?

The other deal i got offered was:

£19.49
    Talk unlimited
    M Tv
    M Broadband - 2mb
  • embelliss
    embelliss Posts: 69 Forumite
    The other deal i got offered was:

£19.49
    Talk unlimited
    M Tv
    M Broadband - 2mb