NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
Forumite
edited 13 October 2011 at 4:52PM in Mobiles
articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
This is a new thread for this article - read the old iPhones article thread here.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,325
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    iPhone 3GS prices have dropped this week

Orange Free then £15 pm 50 mins 50 texts 100 mb data

O2 refurb Free then £13.50 pm 50 mins 250 texts 100 mb

Both 24 months
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2011 at 1:46PM
    garfybeds wrote: »
    The new iPhone will be announced on 4th October. Close-out of holidays in shops 14/15 October point to that being the release date. The question is - what phone/s will they release

The new iPhone has been announced - the iPhone 4S will be available in the UK from 14 October and comes in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models, starting at £499 on a no contract basis.

Have a read of the updated Cheap iPhones article for details on the new model. Tariff prices have yet to be announced, but we will update the guide as soon as we know more.

MSE Becca
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Nice to see the prices are dropping :-)

Now that new new iphone 4s is out, where is the cheapest place to buy the old Iphone 4 without a contract?

And what is the cheapest place to get the old 4 refurbished?
  • imnothere
    imnothere Posts: 413
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MSE_Becca wrote: »
    The new iPhone has been announced - the iPhone 4S will be available in the UK from 14 October and comes in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models, starting at £499 on a no contract basis.

Have a read of the updated Cheap iPhones article for details on the new model. Tariff prices have yet to be announced, but we will update the guide as soon as we know more.

MSE Becca

Some of the tarriffs have been announced
  • imnothere wrote: »
    Some of the tarriffs have been announced

Thanks, we are working on updating the tool right now :j

Will post on here when it is updated!

MSE Becca
  • I'll be paying the equivalent of £34.95 per month over 24 months by buying direct from Apple (unlocked) and getting a GiffGaff SIM. :T Can't wait - ordered the 32GB this morning. :D
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2011 at 1:17PM
    jetfighter wrote: »
    I'll be paying the equivalent of £34.95 per month over 24 months by buying direct from Apple (unlocked) and getting a GiffGaff SIM. :T Can't wait - ordered the 32GB this morning. :D
    Is my understanding correct that you were happy to take a loan at more than 40% APR :eek: for buying a toy? If so, using your savings, or at least your credit card, would be a much wiser financial decision.
  • jetfighter
    jetfighter Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2011 at 1:20PM
    grumbler wrote: »
    Is my understanding correct that you were happy to take a loan at about 40% APR :eek: for buying a toy? If so, using your savings would be a much wiser financial decision.

Nooooo, not at all. :eek::eek::eek: Not sure where you've got the 40% APR thing from either!

I was trying to say that I would be spending the equivalent of £34.95 per month by buying the phone upfront for £599 (with money I have!) and then £10 per month on GiffGaff. To illustrate that if you can afford it, buying upfront works out cheaper in the long term. I can't imagine there are any contracts offering a free iPhone 4S 32GB for £34.95 per month. (I may be proven wrong.)

To clarify, I paid £599 for the phone upfront, from money I have. No loans. I will be paying £10 per month to GiffGaff. Over the course of 24 months, which is the standard contract length, I will have spent £839 in total. Divided by 24, this is £34.95.

That was what I meant!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I see. So the monthly £34.95 figure included £10 for giffgaff?
    My apologies for misunderstanding.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure