~*~ Thrifty Gifty Moneysaving Thread for Christmas and all Occasions 2012 ~*~

Comments

• Oh my goodness. First thing I need to save up for this new year is having my engagement ring fixed. I have been so lucky, I felt it rubbing on my finger while I was handwashing some clothes, and it has completely snapped and the diamond fell out. I was so upset as we thought I had lost it, DH took the sink apart, but nothing after about half an hour of sifting through it with a sieve. I went to the computer and sat down to find the number for the insurance to ring and see if I could claim for it, and I noticed it on the floor at my feet.

I was about to start crying, so perfect timing there, and house insurance is due in the next fortnight so an expensive claim would have sent it up.

Lucky does not even come into it. I don't even know how I noticed such a small thing with all the toys out and about at the minute. I'd been out in the garden and doing loads of washing so it could easily have gone.

No idea what it will cost to fix, but it will need doing as soon as we can really. I feel so strange not wearing it. It's been on my finger 7 years.

So I guess my chow money might end up going on that. Good job I have worked so hard at it.
  • Hi folks

I'd like to join in this year. I have been informally doing this myself, but getting fresh ideas from other people will be a good idea, I think.

*waves* to Michelle...that was lucky about your engagment ring. I would suggest Wongs in Liverpool, but thats a bit of a trail for you :(

SSL xx
  • That was so lucky that you spotted the diamond! I hope it's not too expensive to fix, but at least it CAN be fixed now you have the diamond.

I popped a review onto Chow this morning and also did a product request for a review I can copy over from DooU so hopefully it will get put on before the promo runs out. Does the promo run until the end of December does anyone remember? I've copied all mine from DooU now but I might try to write a couple of new toy reviews just to make the most of it. DH got a new XBox and I expect he and DS will be tied up with that all afternoon so I can write in peace :)
    Making money for Christmas 2012!
  • Yay :j A shiny new thread :j

Elysia - thanks for the new thread :T

Michelle - wow, that was lucky that you found the diamond, hope you managed to get it fixed soon

Rufus - a new lappy :j

Welcome to all the newbies, everyone is really friendly on here and helps motivate each other - i'm definitely in for 2012 :D

PS Thank you SS for my pressie ;)
  • sparkleychel
    sparkleychel Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2011 at 6:15PM
    afternoon all :D happy boxing day :D

hope everyone had a lovely day and hello to all newbies and oldies

rufus a new laptop lucky girl !

cha phew! so lucky to see it

cornish , i agree telly has been rubbish this christmas , although i did enjoy ab fab last night :D

nickybo so glad you made it past christmas day :D

elysia did you buy anything nice ? i've bought nothing so far except next, i had stuff in my basket on paperchase and m+s but i didn't bother buying in the end :eek: for me lol

had a brilliant day yesterday , can't move for boxes and toys but everyone very happy ds couldn't believe he got a drum kit, he was over the moon :D
    i will need to buy some more toy boxes lol so if anyone spots any in the sales let me know

oh and big thanks for my ss i love my recipie holder thank you x
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oooh been looking forward to this one after finding the last one just a year late. Thanks for this and I am really looking forward to this being a great money saving year.
  • Thanks Elysia I have pm'd you
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • elysia2003
    elysia2003 Posts: 5,155 Forumite
    :santa2: Waves to all the newbies. Come on now, no lurking. ;) All those people who have asked for a spreadsheet, I'm going to send them in a sec. :)

Michelle - so lucky finding the diamond. At least you have money you can fall back on so that's brilliant. :) Are you away tomorrow? If I miss you, have a good few days break, you really need the rest.

Nicky -promo is on until the end of the month (50p). The double rates has ended though. Well done on not delivering during the Christmas lunch. I remember when I had DD I was so massive, everyone said she'll be due Christmas but she didn't come, and then they said, ooh she'll be here for new year. No chance, she didn't arrive until the 18th. That last two weeks was torture. :cool:

Rufus - woohoo. New lappie. Congratulations. You really did work hard for that. Well done. Glad you had a lovely time yesterday, and congrats on the folksy order.

Chel - I had £65 on my Boots card so I treated myself to Lola perfume set, and I bought DD1 a Nina Ricci Perfume set for DD1's birthday in April. I also bought my Mum Ralph Lauren Perfume for her birthday using some vouchers I have left. I've just realised its her 65th this year so I'm going to have to save some extra pennies. Lush had their gift sets half price so I bought one of those for DD2 £10, but when I opened my change jar I had £40 in there so didn't actually spend any actual money and I still have some left. :D

Cornish - Awww hun. Been there and done that. I was on my own with DD until I met OH when she was 10, so I know how lonely you get around Christmas and New Year. I do agree TV is absolutley rubbish this year. I forgot about Ab Fab and watched Downton Abbey last night, that was the only time the TV was on all day.

Skiergirl - How's your dad doing?

Emma - did you get dressing gowns? I bought DD one from Next VIP. OMG did you see the queues for there today? It must have been getting on for 1/4 mile in Birmingham earlier - God knows how long they had to wait! :eek:

Pink - well done on making £700 this year. :D You should be really proud of yourself. Woohoo.

Legend - did you buy anything online in the end? I don't blame you, stay inside and shop without the queues. :)

Phew - I think I've replied to everyone. I've only been writing this message for an hour. ;) The phone kept ringing, and DD1 needed some help doing something.

Going to make a cuppa, and have 5 minutes before I check out chow. :)
    I :heartpuls M.S.E.
    :DMortgage Free 18/01/10 13 years and 8 months early on a 20 year mortgage! :D
  • Hi all and welcome newbies xxx :beer:

Yayyyyyy I found you :jHope everone had a brilliant xmas this is the first chance Ive had to sit down in 2 days. My total over at chow was £80 this month :eek: considering in 4 years I made £3 there I am so pleased. Im off to look for my spreadsheet I saved it and now can not find it I am so daft sometimes lol.

Thanks for the shiny new thread be back soon away to put little ones to bed they are just having their hot chocolates.
  • Hi joined a little last year and did really well thanks to the 2011 thread, so please can I join again. Christmas this year has been about 70% neutral so very happy and I hope to make 2012 freeeee! Good luck to everyone and thanks to Elysia and all the regulars who make it so friendly and brilliant to read, totally inspiring! Hope this year to try reviewing so once I've joined the sites any tips would be welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure