Taking the plunge

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Jessy I've just caught up on your diary - you are making fab progress. I am not feeling very organised. If I'm honest I am more spontaneous than organised, but doing this is making me more conscious of things financially. It's also got me making plans and smiling over the little things.

I had fun yesterday when I popped into a couple of charity shops in town. One shop had a £2 rail and I managed to get 2 brand new dresses = saving of £74! plus a skirt, top etc. Am popping some away for our holibobs, but couldn't resist wearing one today.

And came in this morning to find a refund from the tea kitty on my desk :)
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    I've had a good catch up with an old friend today whilst on training and even better still the lunch, coffee etc was provided and to cap it off I got a lift in with some colleagues, which saved on petrol.

It hasn't been the most spendy week, but not too frugal either. Last weekend's shopping came to £60 and it was the same again today. That included the wine, cider and chocolate - oops! :)

The sun is shining and it is very humid. Hoping it is going to be a good cheap weekend with the family. Plans are to use up some of the food we have in the freezer and keep going with the salads.

Training again on Monday, but it will also mean I get to travel and have brekkie with Mr J :)

And I've only just realised - one week til payday! I am looking forward to putting a little bit in the kitty as the Tilly Tidy Ups have not been as frequent this month. Either I am slacking or becoming less obsessed - either way it's all good.

Happy weekend x
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    It's weekend again and I'm enjoying a quiet half hour on the sofa with the kids watching TV. I need to check in with the Mco to find out the latest balance and have a quick TT. Housework beckons, but I am on a mission to relax for another half hour hopefully.

Haven't spent too much this week. If I'm honest I've probably been a bit too busy with work etc. Last weekend we picked up a couple of suitcases for our holibobs and whilst the kids were out we collated some of the bits we've bought and packed. It felt more like we were packing Xmas stockings as they don't know anything about it and will be surprised when we announce at the airport where we are off to. We've kept it all on the cheap though, sun cream from Aldeeee, tees from Primarni, playing cards and crossword books from the poundshop etc and with it being all inc. we should really need much whilst we are out there. I'm really going to miss the dog while we are gone. My eldest is staying home to look after her and play happy families with his GF. Am hoping I don't come back to any parties, but he hasn't let me down over the past few years.

Right off to call the bank and see where we are at. The monthly payment hasn't gone in yet, but I'm curious and at least once I done that I can start playing with the figures again.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    Happy weekend one and all

Last weekend was positive. MrJ explained that he really wanted me to treat myself to some new clobber and encouraged me to have a look around the shops. Naturally I made a bee line for the sales rails. Having tried on 8 items in Vallis I left with a dress and the following day we popped into the local outlet where I found a £40 dress reduced to £15!!! It was really nice to get so many compliments when I wore it to work the next day. Today we popped into Deb's and scoured their sales rails. MrJ is getting really good at hunting out a bargain. We've come home with a sarong, a smart top and dress for £12. Plus we needed padlocks for our suitcases for holibobs. I figured I'd look in the £ shop and whilst there for some reason I thought I would start in the DIY section instead of the travel bit. Low and behold 6 padlocks for £2 rather than 4 x £1 each. Subsequently saving £2- making me a very happy shopper :)

There are little things that are being popped over to the mortgage all the time. Every few days I'm doing a TT-up, my share dividends have come through so we made a point of paying that in today; I keep a washing up bowl in the sink to catch any water and am throwing that over the plants to keep them looking good without wasting money on running a hose pipe and last night I transplanted the runner beans into a patch in the garden.

One or two other little things have happened over the past couple of weeks including me grabbing a couple of lifts with a colleague to our other site saving me on the 20 mile round trip and when ever there is food laid on at training I tuck in. Though I must confess it has been a stressful couple of weeks at work and I haven't always been organised resulting in me spending a couple of quid sometimes, but then if I didn't I wouldn't eat and it would be counter productive. I will make an effort to prepare something for myself after the summer.

I'm quite enjoying this paying it off business. I am feeling very pleased with myself for the £6k balance reduction in 4 months. It's just over a year's worth of payments if things go belly up. Never thought I would ever be in this position. Am kinda hoping that I can clear it all in 5 years. Just got to keep chipping away at it. Onwards and upwards.
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well done on the 6K in 4 months, that's great progress! I'm sure if you keep it up you could do it in 5 years easy!!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    Well I'm back. We spent a couple of weeks in very hot and sunny Egypt with the kids and it was absolutely awesome. There were times when we weren't very MSE, but all in all it was well worth it and we didn't really spend too much on souvenirs, more on trips and experiences to make fantastic memories.

We did have a couple of MSE moments whilst there though including speaking to the house keeper about some lilos that were in the hallway and being told we could have them for free. I kept to the free wi-fi and browsed the forums whilst there too.

However, coming home is mildly depressing in that the house seems cluttered and messy. So project house sort out begins this afternoon. I'm going to aim to fill at least 3 bin bags for the charity shop and begin the Kon Mari approach. The garden is overgrown and tip runs are needed too. I think I will also look at what I can sell in the process. I've never tried selling on fleabay, but am up for a carboot sale if there is enough to justify it. I also need to make a room by room list of all the things that need to be done to bring them back up to scratch as the house is looking tired and needs some TLC.

Downside on the money front has been that our darling chocolate lab has burst the blood vessels in her ear, which meant she had to have surgery on Monday and is now bumping into everything with a lampshade round her head. She was in a lot of pain on the first night and couldn't settle, but she seems to be turning a corner and getting a little brighter now.

I need to touch base with the Mco and find out the current balance. I've done a few TT ups whilst away and haven't spent much since coming home. I did some grocery shopping last night and paid the solicitor a deposit for the conveyancing/transfer of equity. So I need to review how much is left and where it will be going.

Plus I need to arrange my car insurance renewal. Cheeky company had the audacity to send me a renewal figure of £800 yet I've had emails from big brokers offering me the same insurance from the same insurer at £500!!! It's a no brainer!

So project house and staycation begins this afternoon.

P.S. Cheers Jessy I'm determined to stay on track, life thows a few curve balls but that just keeps it interesting :) Hope you well xx
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad you had a fantastic holiday! Oh poor puppy hope she's all better soon! Yeah I know what you mean about the curve balls and even if you don't meet your target at least you know you'll be better off than if you hadn't tried to do what you're doing (if that makes sense!). I'm good thank you! Good luck with the house clear out! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • My little four legged best friend is on the mend :) We had a check up at the vets yesterday and she is starting to heal up nicely. The bandage is off, but the cone remains. Have to go back again next week. She's still bumping into everything and even managed to turn the bathroom taps on with the cone the other night!

Project house is underway, albeit a little slowly. Three bags of clothes for the charity shop today. And I am still making my way through the holiday washing. I've starting using a cleaning app. to challenge myself to do bits in short bursts. The suggestion of using a basket to gather up the clutter was altered to stack the stairs and take up/down as I go. The oven is in the process of being cleaned and the dishwasher has had a cleaning cycle. Meanwhile the house looks a little like Widow Twanky's with washing hanging about the place as the weather looks unpredictable.

On the MSE front I need to go into town today so have raided the shrapnel jar for silver parking funds and am popping into the bank to deposit a cheque from my dividends. Once done I will send the money over to the mortgage account. Paid £11 already over this morning from the reward money and a TT up. I've also claimed a small amount on TCB. I was kinda good last night - DS2 needs school uniform so after a quick scan through various sites I found one that got me a weeks worth of shirts and trousers for just over £30 and a couple of quid cash back on top.

Hopefully when I get back from town I will have enough energy for a short run (I've been slacking loads and need to get back into this) and then begin to write an action plan for project house x
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    There were a few things I managed yesterday and few that were not so successful..... I struggled to get parked up, 5 car parks later meant that I was almost late for my appointment and there was no way I was going to spend an extra two quid just to leave the car there for an extra ten minutes so I could get to the bank. So the cheque remains in my bag for the moment. I did get out for a run with the dog and she managed it really well with the cone around her head. She had to stop at all the country gates rather than scrambling under the fences like she usually does and was absolutely shattered by the time we started heading back, but it was the first run in a few weeks and we both needed to take it easier than usual. I didn't do too bad though and I am not in agony this morning so fingers crossed I will get to fit another one in today.

I also managed to pop into MrT and picked up a fair amount of ys fruit and veg. However, I was not very assertive when MrJ came home last night and wanted a take out. Yes I caved, but it wasn't too shabby and we've agreed it will be the last one of this month.

The charity shop bags have been safely deposited and I need to start putting the clean washing away. I think I need to be a little more ruthless though as there is little room in the drawers for what I have without the holiday bits being added.

Plan at the moment for today is to:
    - Fill at least one bin bag with clothes
    - Sort through the jackets that are hanging up by the stairs and making the hallway look very messy
    - Mow the lawn
    - Harvest some apples and make a crumble for pudding
    - Sort through the mountain of bottles in the bathroom and prevent MrJ buying any more before the end of the month
    - Sit on the sofa and watch something trashy for at least half an hour (this will be a struggle, but I need to be mindful)
    - Go for a run with the dog
    - More washing
    - Look for birthday present ideas for MrJ and DS3
  • Jelllibeanz
    Forumite
    Well here is the update:

- Fill at least one bin bag with clothes - did two :) just sitting in the car waiting to go
    - Sort through the jackets that are hanging up by the stairs and making the hallway look very messy - done
    - Mow the lawn - done, but it was so long it nearly broke the mower and has left me shattered
    - Harvest some apples and make a crumble for pudding - apples bit done, still loads on the tree, will make the crumble tomorrow
    - Sort through the mountain of bottles in the bathroom and prevent MrJ buying any more before the end of the month - sorted
    - Sit on the sofa and watch something trashy for at least half an hour (this will be a struggle, but I need to be mindful) - didn't really happen
    - Go for a run with the dog - mowing the lawn did me in we can run tomorrow (may need nagging tho ;) )
    - More washing - done - still more to do
    - Look for birthday present ideas for MrJ and DS3 - have some ideas now, will need to get them sorted on Monday

I did however save a couple of quid.... I had coffee round a friend's and she gave me a parking permit for the day, which meant I was also able to pop into the high st and deposit that cheque; decided it isn't a red wine kinda night so bought some tonic water and am now enjoying a G'n'T in the garden :)

Happy weekend one and all xxx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport