Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck with the build, it's a long process isn't it. Our two storey extension was completed in April this year and we haven't looked back. The additional borrowing is scary but it was definitely the right thing for us.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • Schoolworker
    Schoolworker Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well the other day had a look at the fixed energy deal as ours is due to run out tomorrow but with the one year with same supplier it is due to jump up £8 per month - it does not sound a lot iknow but other bilks may increase once build starts or is done.I did a price comparison and gave signed up for an energy deal for 13months which is a reduction of £15 from the fixed stated so took the bull by the horns and proceed with this. It takes 6 weeks to process so we will be on the standard for this time and hopefully still get some money back from them as we were in credit in gas and electric of over £100 - hopefully the standard charge does eat up too much of this credit and fingers crossed my calculations are right for the next year.
    Need to do my review at least 5-6weeks before deal finishes.
    I quite liked having a smart Meter but time will time if the new company will offer this to us.
  • Hiya managing to survive the summer holidays with the kids but youngwst wants to play with oldest but she does not so a few arguments.
    I have managed to catch a cold and been feeling rough most St of this week. Hope it gets better soon.
    Was out to pics with a friend last night to see girls trip - it was good.

Made an overpayment of £200 today to the mortgage.
    Hubbie managed to get a pay increase so sent it to savings as need to get as much as we can before the works start next month.
  • Schoolworker
    edited 10 August 2017 at 8:48AM
    Starting to wonder if the kitchen we have put down a deposit is a good price - I had originally thought it was but we are visiting howdens to see what price they can give us and can compare.
    Builder has told us a place for bathroom stuff at reasonable prices so will look into that later this month/ sept.
    Been tracking my grocery spend and its at £295 for the month which seems reasonable but will need to visit scotmid up the hill to see if I can get reduced meats to put in the freezer (they do good reductions) and see if I can reduce this a bit more for a family if 4.
    Looking after nana and papa rabbit as they are due to move house tomorrow.
    Saturday night I off out with a friend for dinner which I've to pay and then to see celiene dione - it will be great to see her in concert again since I last saw her in my 20's.
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well done on the overpayment! I hope the cold is gone soon and you feel better! Have fun at Celine Dion!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Schoolworker
    edited 10 August 2017 at 8:46AM
    Enjoying the concert on Saturday. Friday we helped in laws to unpack after they moved house. They have not moved for over 30years so was a bit bossy about unpacking bedroom and kitchen first and some of the living room. The removal guys reversed into the street light and the kitchen table broke in the van but they are getting there and happy.

We are off out soon school shoe shopping - can't believe I'm back at work next week and kids back Thursday but the kids are getting grumpy now especially my 5yr old - he has never had this long off before as went to private nursery.

Hoping to go to emoji movie on Thursday with a friend and the kids. Kids getting hair cuts for returning to school on Friday.

I managed to get 4 new tops for work in the sale for £30 so happy with this. Only need to get shoes next week but need to check bank money wise and what needs to be paid out over the next 2-3weeks.
    Trying to do a bit of a clean out and need to go to a car boot sale soon to get rid of the stuff.
  • Schoolworker
    edited 10 August 2017 at 8:50AM
    Since its August and over half way through the the year I decided to check and see my mortgage total outstanding before it increases next month. Currently it's £53547.33, which I'm happy with as putting a big chunk of money into the savings most of this year for the extra spends needed for the extension.

Hubble is due payment of expenses next week so hoping to make another small overpayment and some tot the savings.

Howdens have done basic kitchen drawings and we have noted the extras so will see what price they come up with. We had originally put down a deposit with wren kitchens in June but believe we can get a refund if needed. Trying to claw back prices and will look into bathroom prices soon since the original build quote is now £54k and we have requested £65k for extra borrowing so it only leaves £11k for kitchen,bathroom ensuite and tiler etc. I fully expect to use a chunk of our savings.

Going to emoji movie with kids this afternoon. Hubble out tonight at fringe event with work.
  • Well yesterday we went to bathroom shop to see what we liked for bathroom and ensuite stuff. We got a quote which I think it's reasonable at roughly £2k. We have the quote and sent to the builder to see if we have got everything we need or missed anything.

The boiler is playing up and hope it holds out for a month or so since it's being replaced when extension being done.

Need to go out today to get my mum's birthday present and we are all heading out for dinner Tuesday night to a buffet restaurant which mg kids love for grand birthday dinner and before I go back to school on Wednesday.

Had email from EDF to say that they are taking over our gas and electric and asking for meter readings. I cannot get these as the gas box screen is blank and we have new electronic electric meter installed when we got smart meter out in 2 years ago. I'm hoping will get bill as it's due from old supplier and this will have actual readings due to smart meter. Was advised by new supplier that I should be able to see normal readings as smart will become disabled. Time will tell and hope it works out to be ok.
  • EDF are providing us with gas and electric. Received online bill from old supplier for gas only so far and we are in credit so will see what the final bill says when we get it as well as the electric.

Put money into savings today. On the count down to my payday on Thursday and hubbie next week so I can redo figures for dept.

Trying to sort out new life insurance with critical illness - it's a minefield but hopefully hubbie has got an email on good policies at reasonable price so we can get things to proceed. We need higher cover in a few weeks when I request the extra mortgage funding. Then will need to cancel old policy but not sure as we may have one month of paying to both policies to cover ourselves.

Hope to hear from the builder as he has returned from holidays about our bathroom quote and if the stuff is correct that we need as well as answers to my questions. We visited howden's on Saturday to get a price but they will contact the builder hopefully today with the price and then we can decide on where to go. I now builder would prefer to go to them and they do good sturdy units but it depends on price.

Getting nervous as it only 4 weeks until D-day. Will need to think about packing up some of daughters room even though not needed until later. Already been looking at different decorating ideas or wallpaper - its very early but we can look.
  • Got final bill for electric from SSE and due money back on 8th sept. Waiting for the final gas bill to see as we should be due money - hope to pay this to the mortgage in sept.

Went to local flower and craft show today. I got 2nd prize for my sultana cake. Son put in 2 items and got 3rd prize for his fruit turtle. Daughter put in 7 items of craft as well as her sponge cake - she got 4 2nd prizes and 3 3rd prizes - do she is chuffed with herself.

Son goes to football and we usually pay £30 for 10 weeks but it has jumped up in price and you have to pay via DD of £20 per month. Not happy about this but he liked it. Have signed up for this at the moment but may need to cancel in future when he start to learn to swim as it will be too much h for son only as he also goes to tiger club which is paid monthly. It's a rant - sorry just !!!!ed off about as not advised before summer break up and then nearly did not let son Nd the other kids to play as hubbie did not take his wallet so could not fill out the DD form.

Still awaiting kitchen price from hidden and builder is to chase this up and then we can decide who to go with. The builder has answered my several questions so thats good. Life insurance not sorted but need to do this Monday and get it set up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback