PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Comments

• About the same time as I claimed for default charges on my credit cards back in February 2007, I also wrote to M&S asking to repay PPI charges on my &More Credit Card back to July 2000. I have to confess it was a long shot,
    however it worked ! But, I was successful because of a changeover from their Chargecard which I had from 1985 to the upgraded &More Card in December 2002, if you remember these cards were sent out without anyone applying for them. They had system constraints in retrieving certain information proving that cardholders applied for PPI. In view of these constraints they repaid me the full amount I was claiming from July 2000 to
    March 2006 which was £882. I regarded this as a successful claim, however I often wonder if I had been paying any PPI since 1985 when I first had their Chargecard !!!
    So, anyone who originally had a Chargecard with M&S and was upgraded to the &More Card I suggest that you go for it to request repayment.
  • Success at last, many thanks Martin & Team. Sent in letter to Lloyds TSB as per the template and after 2 letters from them plus one phone call, received back from the them full amount which was £4333.21 plus interest. This was for a loan 4 years ago.
    Now waiting for the OFT to get to grips with the Banks over the penalty charges and trust my court case can continue with them, this is pending at the moment.
  • toni66
    toni66 Posts: 53 Forumite
    I would just like to say thankyou to Martin, I have just got back £307 from Benifical finance, for ppi that was not agreed on our account. thanks again, good luck everyone else.

toni
  • Kez1
    Kez1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    SUCESS!

I wrote to HSBC regarding PPI, I sell Loans myself and can now understand how i was missold my insurance.

I wrote to them 2 weeks ago and got a reply today couldnt belive how quick the response was they wouldnt admit to being at fault but they have however offered me a refund fo £1891. But are not willing to refund the 8% interest.

Thanks guys so so much, i am now awaiting a response from egg.
  • I took out Credit Protection Insurance on a £6000 loan over 48 months in March 2002 with HSBC. I was told at the time that in order to get the credit I would have to take out the insurance and £1210 was added on to my loan amount. I paid the loan off early after 33 months.

I sent my template letter (from this site) to HSBC on 20th September 2007 and I received a letter on 2nd October 2007 saying that someone will investigate the matter and it could take up to eight weeks.

The next letter I got was postmarked 10th October (I received it on the 13th - post strike) saying that they were offering me £1425.20. This is a refund of the premiums paid, which also includes any interest charged on the insurance loan. (Yet they don't accept the 8% added interest was appropriate)

A complete success and only had to post one letter to get a result!

I urge all others to go ahead with your claim.

Thank you so much to this site, I'm now £50 - £60 pounds better off a month as I'm using this money to pay off a credit card. A much needed bonus! :T
  • ltsb sucess hi followed martins template letter on the 1st of october and didnt really know if ltsb owed me money or not? but 1 week later recieved a letter from them saying they were refunding me £368 plus waiting for final interest amount from the year 2006 to 2007 briilant they are sending the cheak out today and are still investigating 2005 not bad seeeing as though i did,nt have a clue thanks martin just in time for xmas
  • Hi everyone just to let you know that it seems that Natwest are toughening up on this matter!

I was sold PPI with a loan in October of 2005 (regretably at the time I was desperate and signed away another 6 years). Even after mentioning to the staff about a seperate income protectional policy which i had just commenced on the first October 2005, I was advised I should still take out this PPI. Staff also implied that this should aid in the success of this refinacing loan application.

I Regretted this as soon as got home and fully digested the amount I actually had to repay. I put it down to a bad judgement on my part at the time and knuckled down to make the repayments.

Upon seeing one of Martin's interviews on GMTV I felt strongly that this PPI had been misold to myself and proceded with a claim using the sample letter provided.

Two weeks later I received a very generalised letter stating that as a customer "duty of care checklist" had been filled out and signed by myself at the time of application, that they were satisfied with the fact that they had done everything towards my best interests that they regretfully would be unable to honour a full refund of the approximate amount of £2500 for the PPI paid over the last two years!

Completely unsatisfied with this response I preceeded with the next sample letter advising that I would take the matter to the ombudsmans and want contact within 14 days.

Today 4 days after dropping my letter into store I receive a phone call stating that Natwest is upholding thier decision and refusing a full refund of this amount, they went on to explain that this PPI was offered as an extra form of protection, which can legally run along side with my seperate income protection policy. To add to my dissappointment, not once even after including a copy of my seperate income protection scheme did they even suggest that this PPI could be cancelled. I raise this matter with them during the call and they say that yes it would be possible to cancel this policy and they would send me details with regards as to how to go about this. They also stated that as of 26th October another new department would be dealing with these cases!

I am now quite dispondent and would like advice as to whether to continue with my claim to the Ombudsman, or whether to just to give up and cancel my policy (saving £110 month on the brighter side of things). Could there be any negative comeback from a continued pursiut of this PPI refund?

Any advice much appreciated.
  • Not many people seem to have success stories, my bank has vertually told me to get lost, and I know I was mis-sold the policy, bit too scared to go any further as they have made suggestions that they could close my account and demand all payemnts back now.:confused:
    Claimed back almost £4000 so far from HSBC for mis-sold PPI
    £2083.00 + £242.00 8% interest from FirstPlus and lower monthly premiums:D Studio Cards paid off my account and gave me £125.00 in gift vouchers. £500.00 Barclays.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not many people seem to have success stories, my bank has vertually told me to get lost, and I know I was mis-sold the policy, bit too scared to go any further as they have made suggestions that they could close my account and demand all payemnts back now
    I just had to reply to this - not for you - but for everyone. Let me say this in big letters...

Of course your bank will tell you to get lost, that's part of the dance!

The same thing happened with bank charges reclaiming in early days; yet many do give pay outs. If you've been missold you're entitled to your money back.

Alwyas remember the expected odds are as follows

1. Write first letter askign for a refund. Chance: Very slim you'll get a no
    2. Then Threaten to go to the ombudsmen and push harder: A realistic chance of gettting a settlement
    3. Then go to the ombudsman: You should get a payout if you were missold - of course, there are no guarantees, and sometimes the ombudsman doesn't have the jurisdiction, but in many cases a payout will happen here. Better still there's no cost attached.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Wow, a voice from above.

One minute he's up at the crack of dawn on GMTV, mixing with the celebs. The next he's burning the midnight oil with us ordinary folk.

:money: What a guy!! :money:

Now come on folks, lets go kick some PPI butt!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback