Redundancy appeal

I have been on a fixed term contract for 3,5 years. The reason of fixed term was that at the end of it the company will reacess the level of support needed. Contract ends 31 may. On 12 February i was told my post will be made redundant as they need lower level of support so they set up a new permanent post but of a lower grade. I was surprised as over the years the team has taken on a lot of work and I simply could not see how they will manage with a lower level. A week later I was given a new draft job description. This new post is my post plus two additional chunks not mentioned in my current (higher grade) JD! I do not feel this is redundancy case as the need for the he post remains and not even diminished. .
I really want to appeal the redundancy. I hate conflicts though and understand they will be boycotting at work now making it hard to work and be there.. I!!!8217;m not going to stay with them anyway and will be looking for a job.. But would appreciate advice from those who appealed and won. Was it worth it? I cannot force myself to accept what they offer me now- much more duties for a lower grade and money. Using the end of a FTC as a way to downgrade.
I am also afraid they will provide me a bad reference if I fight before I leave for another place. Should I be afraid?
Thank you.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 4 March 2018 at 11:52AM
    if you are leaving anyway then is there any point in burning bridges.

If you think the job is worth more tell them(with as much detail as you want on market rates etc.) then let them get on with recruiting the cheaper person.

if they can find someone they are right, if not you can review what your renewal rate will be if they ask you to stay.
    (helps if you go top end/more than you are on now when saying what you think the job is worth)

How sure are you there are jobs out there that will pay you what you want.

You could go full on with the enjoyed working here, thought they valued your contributions and feel very disappointed....
  • Thank you. The thing is, it’s the same job! They tweaked the job title and wording in JD, to get through grading. But the workload will be even more than now for less money and lower grade. The grounds for redundancy would be the need for the post diminished or ceased. this is clearly not the case, so this is not a genuine redundancy.
    Question is, accept the lower grade position and keep looking for another one? Or appeal, possibly win, but still look for another job? Less stress in the first case, stressful but satisfying in the second. I’m only worried they will provide a bad reference if I fight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure