Options

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ahmsbelkz wrote: »
    @TBagpuss

I appreciate your help. I understand where you are coming from but regarding communicating with Nationwide, i have tried everything. Nationwide deny having put anything against my name but im sure it was them as ive never had this issue until this situation happened. So what do i actually do to pin point this problem, i just keep getting sent from website to website and feel like im going in circles. Every time i try to open a normal current account I get it opened and within a week it is closed without reason. Im really stuck and I am struggling very badly. I am 99.5% sure my name is flagged with uk banks, the problem is how do i get deflagged in this type of problem?

As has been pointed out previously, you need to send a subject access request which costs £10 to CIFAS which is one of the UK's fraud prevention agencies.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/secure/contentport/uploads/documents/external-sar_form.pdf

They'll then send you any information they held about you. If there's an entry there logged from Nationwide then that will tell you the problem. You can then try and get Nationwide to remove this data by complaining to them with why you think the information is inaccurate. Otherwise the data will sit there for 6 years before lapsing.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    So you lost your card and found out someone tried to deposit £1300 into your bank. What would the person who deposited the money gain ?
    The person who deposited the cash may have transferred it fraudulently from an account that was not theirs. They then hoped to withdraw or spend the cash using the OP's card.
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options
    Appreciate your answers.

So i will need to get information from CIFAS. I will go ahead with that. Also in the mean time so I can get my wages paid is cashplus an option? How do they operate and is it good enough to build a good history, use it for everyday life, get paid wages etc? I know there is a £5.95 a month fee but i am willing to pay that if i have a card and account to use until this problem is sorted.
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options
    UPDATE:

I have recieved a letter from my bank upon closure of my account. They have told me "When assessing an application we consider many different criteria including information you give us and held about you on fraud prevention databases."

So this confirms that my name is flagged for fraud prevention and this has happened ever since my card was lost and stolen when I was with nationwide. I have been unable to open a bank account and nationwide deny flagging my name in anyway possible! So how do I possibly get my name unflagged and continue my normal life without all this stress when the company that flagged my name deny it. The new bank i tried to open an account with have just confirmed that its fraud related. So if I call Cifas or experian will they be able to get my name removed or whats the proccess? Appreciate your answers and really need help thanks!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    UPDATE:

I have recieved a letter from my bank upon closure of my account. They have told me "When assessing an application we consider many different criteria including information you give us and held about you on fraud prevention databases."

So this confirms that my name is flagged for fraud prevention and this has happened ever since my card was lost and stolen when I was with nationwide. I have been unable to open a bank account and nationwide deny flagging my name in anyway possible! So how do I possibly get my name unflagged and continue my normal life without all this stress when the company that flagged my name deny it. The new bank i tried to open an account with have just confirmed that its fraud related. So if I call Cifas or experian will they be able to get my name removed or whats the proccess? Appreciate your answers and really need help thanks!

Have you followed the advice in post 12 yet?
    ====
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get the CIFAS report.

In the mean time, do you have a savings account that could be used to receive your salary?
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    A strange story:
    Card used to put money INTO an account.
    Activity thought to be illegal.
    Card reported lost.
    Bank closes account.
    Marker put on account holder.
    Bank tells account holder why account closed.
    Account holder does not mind that account closed.
    No loss of money by account holder.

Never heard one like that.
    Heard many where account holder gets paid for money laundering, account closed, bank gives no explanation.

I'm not a natural cynic.
  • Ahmsbelkz
    Options
    Have you followed the advice in post 12 yet?

Yeah I will do that, just wondering why i need a report on myself when i know the reason as my bank gave me information on that today. My main question is how to get this flag removed.
    Get the CIFAS report.

In the mean time, do you have a savings account that could be used to receive your salary?

Will do even though my bank have notified what is the reason though not in detail. I do not have a savings account which is why i was wondering would cashplus be an alternative for everyday life and wages?
    A strange story:
    Card used to put money INTO an account.
    Activity thought to be illegal.
    Card reported lost.
    Bank closes account.
    Marker put on account holder.
    Bank tells account holder why account closed.
    Account holder does not mind that account closed.
    No loss of money by account holder.

Never heard one like that.
    Heard many where account holder gets paid for money laundering, account closed, bank gives no explanation.

I'm not a natural cynic.

It is strange indeed which is why i am struggling to find a solution. My card was lost and I had not realized until the next morning. Fraudelent activity was done in that time before I even reported it lost/stolen. Due to that the bank had labelled it fraudelent and under my name because at the time the account was active and had no reports of it being stolen or lost. It was a fairly new account and I hadn't lost any money because there was none on there. Long story short is fraud activity happened on my card I believe to be related to a deposit/transfer of some sort. I got flagged for it when in reality I was the victim of it.

Does anyone know if cashplus is a suitable alternative until this problem is sorted? Thanks again for your advice and I hope to get this matter sorted.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    UPDATE:

So this confirms that my name is flagged for fraud prevention and this has happened ever since my card was lost and stolen when I was with nationwide.
    As a point of logic, the statement you've bolded doesn't confirm (or deny) what you've concluded at all - it just says that information in fraud prevention databases is one of many sources of data they use when evaluating applications.
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    Yeah I will do that, just wondering why i need a report on myself when i know the reason as my bank gave me information on that today. My main question is how to get this flag removed.
    As stated in the post above the correspondence from Nationwide doesn't really confirm that there is a flag at all, just where they have consulted before closing your account. Getting the CIFAS report will confirm for definite if there is a flag and what it is for. You then go back to Nationwide and dispute the flag, if indeed it has been incorrectly applied. This should really be your priority as I know that if it was me I would want the flag removed ASAP. As you appear to be ignoring this good advice, already given earlier in the thread, we are not quite sure what else you are expecting us to tell you.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure