Halifax 'sending me around the houses' to close my account down?

Options
I opened a student account with HSBC earlier this year, and I was unhappy with the way they treated me (a second time :( ) So I used the switch service to claim £100 and also the £5 a month with Halifax Rewards.

Around July, I upgraded it to their Ultimate Reward as I was buying a car and wanted the breakdown cover. I've had it for a few months, but they kept rejecting me for a credit card and overdraft, and the car deal I got has a year's breakdown cover anyway, so I don't really need it anymore, and I've decided to move over to Barclays anyway as I found a better deal.

I went into Barclays today to use the switch service and Halifax rejected it. So I phoned them up and Halifax kept me on the phone for about 50 minutes on hold, then making me downgrade my account back to just Halifax Reward, and then when asking when I can cancel it now they've downgraded it, I have to wait another week to wait for my new card and terms and conditions to arrive!

I wanted rid of this account and I can't believe I'm being dragged through all of this just to close down an account. I've never had this problem before..:mad:

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Did you ask the obvious question? Why was the switch rejected?
    Could it be that the account is overdrawn? Did you provide the correct 16 digit card number - is your address exact with both banks??

Downgrading is a red herring in my book just mudding the waters.
  • Doctor_Duke
    Options
    I thought you were a fan of First Direct.... �� http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540020
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you ask the obvious question? Why was the switch rejected?
    Could it be that the account is overdrawn? Did you provide the correct 16 digit card number - is your address exact with both banks??

Downgrading is a red herring in my book just mudding the waters.

It just stated on their system that the particular account could not be used on the switch service
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    I thought you were a fan of First Direct.... �� http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5540020

I am, but after the fraud incident that I mentioned, I was left without money and so I opened up another account to avoid it happening again. And since then I've been here, there and everywhere trying to find another account, and well Halifax wasn't the one
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why phone Halifax? Switching is done by the new bank without any help from you provided your old account is in credit.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Why phone Halifax? Switching is done by the new bank without any help from you provided your old account is in credit.

Well this is the problem, I've used the switch service before so I know how it works, so I had accounts with Halifax and Lloyds. But I wanted to move them both over to Barclays. The lady in Barclays entered the Halifax details and it popped up something like "This account is unavailable on the Switch Service" so she did the Lloyds one with no problems.

So I had no other option but to phone Halifax, because if I don't cancel it then I'll have to pay for another month of their service that I don't need anymore
  • KJSmith
    KJSmith Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Well this is the problem, I've used the switch service before so I know how it works, so I had accounts with Halifax and Lloyds. But I wanted to move them both over to Barclays. The lady in Barclays entered the Halifax details and it popped up something like "This account is unavailable on the Switch Service" so she did the Lloyds one with no problems.

So I had no other option but to phone Halifax, because if I don't cancel it then I'll have to pay for another month of their service that I don't need anymore

So the switching process was never started which means it wasn't actually rejected by Halifax.
  • Mr_Goodkat
    Options
    I wonder if it is technically possible to switch a packaged bank account to either another packaged account or like in this case a packaged bank account to a non packaged bank account?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Was the account a URCA? or was it a basic bank account? The former can not be switched.

You can cancel your account in branch, and you will get any credit back, if you are overdrawn or you will need to pay this back before the computer allows you to cancel.

Reading the thread the URCA, has been downgraded to the reward account so the pro rata fees have already been paid, so you should be able to close the account in branch.

If you still require to switch then you need to keep the account open and let Barclays initiate the switch, if you are overdrawn then the switch will fail as you are required the account to be in credit before switching.

hope this helps.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Was the account a URCA? or was it a basic bank account? The former can not be switched.

You can cancel your account in branch, and you will get any credit back, if you are overdrawn or you will need to pay this back before the computer allows you to cancel.

Reading the thread the URCA, has been downgraded to the reward account so the pro rata fees have already been paid, so you should be able to close the account in branch.

If you still require to switch then you need to keep the account open and let Barclays initiate the switch, if you are overdrawn then the switch will fail as you are required the account to be in credit before switching.

hope this helps.

I wasn't too bothered about the switch, although I had one Direct Debit on my Halifax that I wanted to move over, but when I get a minute then I am just going to contact the company and have them move it over.
    I wrote a complaint to Halifax after the way they've treat me, and the lady dealing with it said it was due to it being ultimate reward and them wanting to take the fees for the month, which I explained to her that I thought it was. So anyway, she said that it's not usually her place to shut such an account down, but this time she would do, and she took about a £4 payment for the month I think, closed the account down and the remaining balance of about £5 will be sent to me in a cheque
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure