PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• TheOnlyPink
    TheOnlyPink Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2015 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, I would love to join in on this. Times are very tough here at the moment, and need to get a handle on things.

Usually spend approx €550 a month for 2 adults and 2 children. Going to try for €450 for August. Our month starts on 23rd.
  • ooitsme
    ooitsme Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing this. Could someone give me a rough idea of a sensible budget for a couple and a teenager? I know you'll get asked this all the time! I tended to shop as I go, so I haven't a clue even for a baseline.
    DFW Progress 29/12/17
    CC1 - £1500. CC2 - £750
    CC3 - £200. CC4 - £200
    PD - £347
    M/C1 - M/C2 -
    Student loan - £3350
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2015 at 6:27PM
    Options
    ok im in for £140 for the month as its ds birthday soon and ive most in for his party tea,freezers full and cupboards too . as I work in a pooond shop I been gathering stuff for weeks so its accumulated,thank goodness it did as my groceries are rapidly disappearing with his mammoth appetite! glad he loves fruit though so shouldn't complain he also loves everything else too though xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • ooitsme
    ooitsme Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok count me in for £240 for the month - £60 a week for myself, missus and child aged 12. First time so not sure if it's doable - but will put that cash in a separate purse on the 1st and shop from that and keep receipts!
    DFW Progress 29/12/17
    CC1 - £1500. CC2 - £750
    CC3 - £200. CC4 - £200
    PD - £347
    M/C1 - M/C2 -
    Student loan - £3350
  • Gretchen2012
    Gretchen2012 Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2015 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Hi can you count me in please. First time so budget of £250.00 for me oh and dd (14) oh and Mr D our doggie.

Can't change the colour or font size on my phone grrr lol.
    TOTAL DEBT - £10866.22/£450.06 PAID O/S £10416.16
    CC - £174.69 - The rest is a family loan and other debts which are 0%
    August Grocery Challenge - £0.00/£250.00

• *snow*white*
    *snow*white* Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey everyone,

July was/is my first grocery challenge month and think we will be a bit over but definitely more organised with the batch cooking so spending less in general and no take aways when get desperate.

So as its the summer hols and son 15 is constantly hungry am going to increase our budget for August then try my original budget again in Sept, clear as mud :rotfl:

Augusts budget for 2 adults, 1 bottomless pit teen & 1 greedy spaniel is £180 this is £80 start of month restock and £25 per week top ups. This is packed lunches also.

Good luck all:T
    NST#14/2
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wow! youre all an inspiration!
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i would like to join please, and set my august budget from 1st-31st to £290, thats for 3 adults, 3 big dogs, 6 chickens and 2 ducks!!! house currently on the market so i would like to use up the freezer and store cupboard bits....less to move!!
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Did my weekly shopping yesterday and spent £26.07 (have lots of things in the freezer/larder) will still need milk, bread, fruit and veg over the week but hoping I can keep the budget at £35
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • runswithpencils
    Options
    I would love to join in if I could please :)

Family of 5, myself and hubby, 2 teenagers (who I swear have hollow legs) and a 7yr old. My budget is just for food and toiletries as I buy the pet foods in bulk.

In the month to July 24th we spent over £650 :eek: mainly because I have been too mad busy working to have time to plan anything.
    But I have some time off now, so I am hoping to get this down to £400 which I know is a big drop, but we have an allotment, kitchen garden and quail for eggs, so we really should be able to do it??

If anyone has suggestions for cheap savoury snacks I could make for the teens I would appreciate it, cookies, cakes and breads I can do, but looking for savoury ideas?
    £10 per day challenge July 2016 £122.07/310
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport