Royal Mail tracking 'in progress' what does this mean ?

I am waiting on an item to come and the seller has sent me a tracking number but it just says 'in progress' which is not something i have seen before when i track it.

Anyone have any ideas. According to the seller it was sent on Friday.
If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.

Comments

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If its recorded delivery. It probably means it will never track. This normally happens when the service fails. Which is a lot.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,979
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I agree with cyberbob, it basically means that the item has been accepted by the PO. Recorded is standard mail so it will just arrive at some point but may never actually update any further than 'in progress'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Yep, you know you're in trouble when you see that on the website.

I did once ring them about an item I had sent and they said "just a minute, I'll check for you because 'they' sometimes forget to update it" it turned out that the item was lost but it made me wonder if they had a different system they could check, if you see what I mean.

(A tiny cynical part of me thinks that my buyer on that occasion used that to claim non-delivery but that's another story)

Op, it doesn't mean that your item definitely won't arrive, just that you won't be able to track it online.
  • MadelinesMum
    MadelinesMum Posts: 862 Forumite
    Hi, recently I've sold a few items on ebay that have arrived (+ fb received) but still show as being processed online. I've stopped paying the extra for Recorded Delivery now because if it doesn't track then it's pointless, and if the item does go missing you can claim from your POP anyway.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
  • lewt
    lewt Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ok thanks guys. i should think he has just sent it 2nd without telling me
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lewt wrote: »
    Ok thanks guys. i should think he has just sent it 2nd without telling me
    Was his listing offering 1st class? I'd be none too pleased if it turned out to be on a slower service.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yep, you know you're in trouble when you see that on the website.

I did once ring them about an item I had sent and they said "just a minute, I'll check for you because 'they' sometimes forget to update it" it turned out that the item was lost but it made me wonder if they had a different system they could check, if you see what I mean.

(A tiny cynical part of me thinks that my buyer on that occasion used that to claim non-delivery but that's another story)

Op, it doesn't mean that your item definitely won't arrive, just that you won't be able to track it online.

not as such
    on the RM intranet you can do a full audit trail
    so you can see every scan an item has had
    so say an SD is delayed
    you go on audit train and check its scanning history
    same for an RD,you can see if its been scanned en route
    for example if an item was sent to the wrong delivery office,scanned and forwarded
    the customer site would tell you its progressing through the network
    the intranet site would tell you where it was scanned and the reason inputted for its track status
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I used to send a lot of stuff recorded.

I put in a mass claim for all those which had that line as a status 4 weeks after posting.

About 25% of those I claimed for came back with a signature as proof of delivery, so claim rejected. They just hadn't bothered to update it online. Got a nice fat cheque for the other 75% I claimed for though :D
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • MadelinesMum
    MadelinesMum Posts: 862 Forumite
    bylromarha wrote: »
    I used to send a lot of stuff recorded.

I put in a mass claim for all those which had that line as a status 4 weeks after posting.

About 25% of those I claimed for came back with a signature as proof of delivery, so claim rejected. They just hadn't bothered to update it online. Got a nice fat cheque for the other 75% I claimed for though :D

Had the items actually arrived but not signed for or had they been lost?

I've got about 4 items that still saying being processed although they had been delivered over a week ago.

I've also given up on RD now.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,979
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Had the items actually arrived but not signed for or had they been lost?

I've got about 4 items that still saying being processed although they had been delivered over a week ago.

I've also given up on RD now.

I used to have to use recorded for work stuff, it all arrived but never updated online. I would then claim back the 75p per item but RM would just keep sending lots of books of stamps, it was actually a nice little earner.

Virtually nothing at all sent from here ever updates online, and likewise nothing ever arrives at my door that gets a signature. It is all left in the porch with the rest of the post.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure