PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where to buy cheap fabric for sewing / fabric remnants?

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    polkadot wrote: »
    Thanks Ivyleaf

Ive been to rolls and reems 3 times and am now trying to stay away from there. Each time Ive been in they have made it very clear that my child and his buggy are in the way. To me, sewing should be fun and happy and when I cant get in to have a good look or am made to feel uncomfortable it sort of taints the project. I went in one saturday (so I could leave LO at home). I waited 20 minutes because I wanted to look at a fabric that was too high for me to reach. I never got to look at at as no one seemed to have the time to help. When I jokingly said it would likely be easier to pay a babysitter and come back in the week I was told it was a very good idea.:mad:
    I think I'll try deptford market anyway.

What a shame! I've only been there once and that was some years ago as i'm not doing any sewing atm. I do remember it being quite a narrow shop though, but still, there's no need to make mums with buggies feel unwelcome! :mad: When I went there I remember there was another fabric shop in the high street, which sold sari fabrics and "ordinary" ones. They may be more welcoming! There's a good fabric shop in Welling High Street too, if you can get there. The block of shops next to it is being demolished to make way for a big Tesco :rolleyes: but I believe the fabric shop is staying put.

Good luck with Deptford Market.
  • polkadot
    polkadot Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry Ive not been on to update.DS has been ill with tonsilitis:(
    Havent had time to get to Deptford yet but had to get the fabric for the next project(my friend is leaving the country next week and needed a baby bag).Got it from rolls and rems afterall. Found the pattern I was after and the assistant told me she had to take it from me and keep it at the till-she would be back to cut my fab for me. (I had to ask for some notepaper to make notes of what I needed for the pattern:mad: ), then I waited about 15 minutes for her to return. I couldnt leave the buggy as DS was sleeping-eventually a young girl who was in with her mum went and told the manager that I was still waiting. When I eventually got back to the till, said assistant was behind the till drinking tea and telling the manager all about her newly bargained wedding dress:mad:
    Needless to say-the search continues:(
  • Hi there.

Just stumbled across this thread whilst looking for somewhere to sell my abundance of high quality material.

I used to work in a textiled factory where they made table cloths and chair covers etc.

When i left, i took with me a huge amount of end of line fabrics. I have over 500 rolls of varying shades and styles of material.
    Every roll has between 2 - 30 metres.

Single sided, double sided, veloured... all sorts.

I have a shop on ebay, so i have access to paypal and visit the post office daily with items.

The material is listed in my local paper for between £1-5 per roll, but would strongly consider bulk discount.

Any interest, let me know :cool:
  • Have you tried the web site oliosh, they have really cheap furnishing fabric, upholstery fabric is especially cheap. I recovered my old sofa for £30 using there fabric.
    Freya
    :money:
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Try Fabric Land they are really good
    http://www.fabricland.co.uk/
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    I just bought some things from Abakhan's online store and they arrived yesterday - they were much cheaper than anywhere else in my area, even with the postage. Very happy :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    if you are anywhere near W London go to :

http://www.thefabricwarehouseltd.com/

It is a sort of cellar in an underground car park, hard to find but keep trying - furnishing fabrics and dress stuff, all sorts. really helpful and nice people there but sometimes very cramped (prob not good with a buggy - just because space is limited) Should I advertise this place as it's a squash usually so if more people know about it it'll only get worse, but it's really GREAT (tho not at all moneysaving as I always come away with far more stuff than I meant to buy)!!
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    have you tried putting a 'wanted' on freecycle.

or contact a local upholsterer, they often just bin stuff thats left over.

C and H fabrics, have branches in lots of places and they often have really good ends of rolls and remnants for virtually nothing. dont know if they do online but may be worth a look.

good luck in your search.xx
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2009 at 10:12AM
    lazy_daisy wrote: »
    I have been looking for dress fabric websites for the last few days but not much luck. I have been given a new sewing machine and want to make the kind of clothes that White Stuff and Fat Face sell for silly money, but it is difficult to buy the lovely fabrics that they use. The clothes themselves would be so easy to make if I could find these fabrics as they are often just unlined A-line skirts or simple fitted sleeveless blouses but it is the material that makes them look special. Oh well, if anyone knows, you lot will! I live in a bit of a retail backwater so have trouble finding anything decent around here....:confused:
    Thanks, and good luck,
    Lazy xx

I was looking at ikea fabrics the other day and thought they were very reminiscent of the shirts I like in White stuff, like this:

0092912_PE229669_S4.JPG

or:
    72351_PE188114_S4.jpg

HTH

Weezl x

ETA, just realised that was a very old post, D'oh!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Glad it's been bumped as I'm always on the look out for sensibly priced fabrics so thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure