Pensions untouched in the Budget

Knock me down with a feather. Just read the Budget text and the only change appears to be the uprating of LTA to £1,030,000, in line for CPI.

Great news and a 'feel good' budget I think.

Comments

• As expected really here ends speculation until 11 months time
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,361
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Personal allowance up to 11850 as well.
  • Jerben
    Jerben Posts: 69
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Watch the (unannounced) small-print.
  • Hi everyone

Follow MSE news for our Budget updates:

MSE News: Budget 2017: Chancellor to unveil Government spending plans
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,177
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    So make sure you put loads of money into your pension this year, because it's certain that next year higher rate tax relief and salary sacrifice will be abolished, the annual allowance will be reduced to a fiver and the lifetime allowance will be reduced to a hundred quid or so. You heard it here first.

(c) The marketing divisions of all pension providers.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2017 at 2:23PM
    I missed the budget as I was on the phone for most of it. Having just read the summary, I still think I missed it. Did he take more than 5 minutes to read it?

I did catch Corbyn saying that he would not allow credit card borrowers to pay back more than they borrow. I am sure interest free credit cards will be popular to borrowers but I suspect lenders would pull out of the market.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    He did crack at least two jokes. The rest whizzed by.
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,152
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jerben wrote: »
    Watch the (unannounced) small-print.

There is no small print, I just read the Full budget report (pensions section) on the Gov.UK website
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For the record
    4.6 Pensions and savings tax
    Starting rate for savings – The band of savings income that is subject to the 0% starting rate will be kept at its current level of £5,000 for 2018-19.

Individual Savings Account (ISA) annual subscription limits – The ISA annual subscription limit for 2018-19 will remain unchanged at £20,000. The annual subscription limit for Junior ISAs and Child Trust Funds for 2018-19 will be uprated in line with CPI to £4,260.

Lifetime allowance for pensions – The lifetime allowance for pension savings will increase in line with CPI, rising to £1,030,000 for 2018-19.

Save As You Earn scheme – Employees on maternity and parental leave will be able to take up to a 12 month pause from saving into their Save As You Earn employee share scheme, increased from 6 months currently. The change will take effect from 6 April 2018.

Life assurance and overseas pension schemes – From April 2019, tax relief for employer premiums paid into life assurance products or certain overseas pension schemes will be modernised to cover policies when an employee nominates an individual or registered charity to be their beneficiary.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,972
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I did catch Corbyn saying that he would not allow credit card borrowers to pay back more than they borrow. I am sure interest free credit cards will be popular to borrowers but I suspect lenders would pull out of the market. Posted by Dunstonh

Or they would slap a huge annual admin charge onto all cards, thus penalising those of us who always pay off our credit card bills in full every month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure