Everything is possible if you try!

Comments

• I love your user name by the way.

I get the impression that this has all built up over years so I would suggest a gentle approach to improving your situation, particularly if you are not well.

Yes, your situation isn't ideal but you know that and are ready to make changes. As an example, you have found your energy bill refund - that's a great start. I agree with your ideas about how to spend it. An emergency fund is a must.

You can look at your budget and choose one area to really focus on for a couple of months so you can see the improvements and feel a sense of achievement.

I personally would focus on grocery shopping and takeaways.

I wonder if it would help if you could get a couple of meals prepped in advance of you needing them? I have good and bad days so I cook ahead. Yesterday we had a roast but I actually prepared today's meal at the same time so if I don't feel like it, there's still food on the table.

Batch cooking?
    Great idea but again take the gentle approach.

If you make Bolognese or something similar, make enough for two meals and freeze one. It Next time, stew, do the same and you quickly start to have a freezer supply. Yes, I am a slow cooker fan.

Involve Kitten in your meal planning. You can both come up with a master list of meals you enjoy, including takeaway style meals.

All this will take some time but hopefully will reduce your feelings of being overwhelmed. You will be taking steps towards a better future, hopefully where you will feel better.

So GENTLE small steps please. Even one less takeaway a month is an improvement. £30 less on groceries, just a pound a day, is £365 over the year.

Let me know if you would like any more ideas.

Take care and be gentle with yourself
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Cupboard clear out felt really good! It's now easy for me to see what I have in stock. (Will work on the freezer another day!) I did online shopping for a while, didn't really seem to make a lot of difference in £ spent though. That's not to say I shouldn't take a look. I've a feeling Aldi may be a good option. Where I am it's just across the road from Sainsbury.

Pauline,
    Thanks for your kind words, really sounds like you understand me almost better than I understand myself! I do tend to be hyper self critical, so being gentle with myself is something I find difficult.
    I think I need to remind myself that I've made a start, which is a positive thing to do. It may be a long journey, but it will be worth it in the end.

You are correct that all this has built up over years. Started with a student overdraft, which converted to a loan after the graduate period ended. House moves requiring deposit lead me to increasing the loan amount/taking out a new loan. Meanwhile I was only paying off the minimum (interest) on credit card, so it wasn't getting any smaller. Last year I decided I needed to do something, so the Barclay card was originally a 0% interest to consolidate the remaining loan and credit card. It's been gradually creeping up for so long, and I've really buried my head in the sand about it.

Before I did the SoA my feeling was that food/groceries would be the most obvious to cut spending, and it does look that way.
    Kitty and I have been adding to a little collection of recipes that we both like, and are for the most part easy, and cheap (the primary function of this is so that when she flies the nest in a couple of years she has things which she can make herself). This will come in useful when thinking about meal plans though.
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Hi Tea,

I agree with Pauline - you might feel like you want to make all changes now and have the energy/enthusiasm for a dramatic overhaul but you need to be considerate of what is sustainable. I'm not saying don't try to do what you can but work at a level that is right for you an Kitty. You've made a great start and done some of the hardest parts now you just have to keep it going - there's a long road ahead but you can do it!. There are so many helpful people on here and there's pages and pages of advice for everything financial so take it a step at a time.

The in and out book is a great idea as long as you record everything - I find it useful to add it all up at the end of the month and see how much I've spent on shopping, eating out etc. I then pick one factor and try to beat it next month (planning/lifestyle/events etc permitting).

I'll be subscribing to this thread so I can follow your journey and keep wishing you luck!
    NP
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • Thanks Nellie! :)
    I will certainly take on what you said about making sustainable changes. My feeling is that if I get things started and planned now while I'm feeling good and energetic about it, then it should be easier to carry it on in some capacity when I'm not at 100%. Progress may be sporadic!
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • For easy budgeting I use a free app called Spending Tracker. I have several different 'accounts' on there, joint account, personal account, shopping account, other spends account etc, but it's really easy to use. For example, for my shopping account - I put my monthly budget of £300 in as income and every time I buy anything I enter it as an expense, which means that I always know exactly what is left in the budget for the month: because it's on my phone and I always have my phone with me, I can update immediately, not have to wait until I get home and forget what I've bought. Maybe worth trying, especially as it's free.
    I agree that starting an emergency fund is a good idea, something unexpected always crops up and ends up on the credit card so you feel as if you're going backwards.
    It's been said many times before, but realising you have a problem and making a start is the most important step. Good luck!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • So the £1000 credit from British Gas arrived in my account today.
    I've put £500 away for christmas/birthdays/emergencies, the overdraft is cleared, and paid £100 off the Barclaycard!
    Little steps in the right direction.
    Opened a basic bank account so that I've got one pot for regular bills etc, and a set amount per month will be in second pot for general spending (groceries, fuel etc) and see how that goes.

Nonna - I'll have a look at the spending tracker. I have looked at a couple of apps before. I've been playing with the YNAB one as it's both an app and easy to do online. I like that it links to bank accounts too.

Little steps ... purchased fuel and did not succumb to the temptation of drinks/snacks/overpriced coffee :)
    Thanks for the support everyone!
  • Tea, That's sounds like great progress!

I'm sure you've seen on here all of the advice about money saving by switching providers of essentials like gas, electricity, phone, mortgage if you have one, etc. You just have tow work out what's best for you.

There are many guides on the internet for batch cooking / getting the best out of your freezer etc. Personally I'm no good at batch cooking as I tend to get bored/distracted half way through and can rarely afford a few hours dedicated cooking. Personally I tend to try to cook a double portion if I can when doing things like pasta bake or curry etc. It'll not take much more effort if you're already cooking it and they'll freeze great - that way when I don't feel like cooking I already have something homemade I can throw in the microwave.

:)
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • I've switched all the utilities, phone/internet and car insurance. Really pays to not be lazy about these things doesn't it! With the car insurance I managed to half what I was paying :)

My "batch cooking" tends to be more along the lines of cooking extra and putting some away for another day. Sunday's chilli also did yesterdays dinner, and Kitty is having the remainder for lunch today.I can forsee some massive stews and casseroles coming for the next few months!
  • Hi...welcome and well done ...you've made a good start. I swear by YNAB...it's not just a great piece of software but I have learned so much about budgeting. Really give it a go...watch the videos to understand the principles. It has revolutionized my understanding of budgeting
    Starting Total in September 2019 = £38287.77
    Current Total = £25534.10
    33% of debt paid off so far

Debt Free by Christmas September August July June 2023!
  • I've switched all the utilities, phone/internet and car insurance. Really pays to not be lazy about these things doesn't it! With the car insurance I managed to half what I was paying :)

My "batch cooking" tends to be more along the lines of cooking extra and putting some away for another day. Sunday's chilli also did yesterdays dinner, and Kitty is having the remainder for lunch today.I can forsee some massive stews and casseroles coming for the next few months!

Autumn/winter is great for left overs - stews, casseroles, even roast dinners etc keep well enough in the freezer. And it's so nice to come home to something simple and hot!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills