Climbing the Mountain

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi MMT,

Welcome to diary land and good luck with your goals.

Pmo2
    X
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has made me feel so welcome!

I will need to look at doing a budget first, I think, so I know where every penny is going. I know roughly what the bills are each month but sometimes forget about important ones like Council Tax. Why would I forget? It's due every month! :o I'm always able to pay it as it and rent are the top priority, but if I have "forgotten" about it, then it will be beans on toast for a couple of weeks. That's only happened once but I'd like to get in control of things so it doesn't happen again. Much better to start as I mean to go on with a proper budget. I will be looking on the forum for help with it, there is so much good advice from people who actually know what they are doing!

I have some things in the house that I no longer need or use so will look into getting them sold and de-clutter the house at the same time. I have no emergency fund in place so perhaps this could be the start of it. I've only just realised I need to have things like this organised or I will end up spending whatever I am able to save for a house. I wish I had understood this years ago instead of just floating along, but live and learn, right? :o

I don't really want to look for more work until the New Year, but perhaps that's not a wise move. I'd like to enjoy time with my family while they are still around but I also know there are a few places nearby that are looking for help up until Xmas. It would mean working through Xmas eve, and the thought of dealing with the hoards makes me want to run in the other direction. Not everyone has the luxury of choosing, though, and I feel selfish for wanting to wait until January when what I should be doing is just getting down to the hard graft.

I haven't bought any Xmas presents yet and won't have the money for more than token gifts. I should have a word with my extended family about no longer exchanging gifts, but I have left it too late this year and know my in-laws would feel put out.

I have some errands and chores to do around the house before work tonight, so will make a start on a budget this weekend. This seems like such a basic thing and yet I have never done one before.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    All sorts of ways of putting together a budget - but with all of them the key thing is you need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" - without that it's useless. Gather together 12 months of bank statements - or make sure you can get access to your online banking. Online banking is a GREAT way to do it as means you can usually filter the transactions on your accounts to show only certain types - handy when you're trying to list Direct debits, for example.

Remember to average out costs that come up annually. MSE has a "Budget Brain" tool that is excellent - allows you to choose whether things are paid weekly, monthly or annually - but last time I looked it it was not working well - there was a notice saying they were trying to get it fixed. If you are currently paying for things like insurances monthly, remember there is usually a premium for this - so add 5% to this year's premium, divide by 12, and try to set aside that much monthly towards next year's policy, with the idea of paying up front. The TV license is one to watch for - paying quarterly incurs a fee for doing so, whereas paying monthly doesn't. Car costs also - if you can set aside an amount to cover for servicing, depreciation (tyres) etc it is a massive weight off your mind when the bills come in! With you having a four legged furry pal too, remember to account for things like injections and set aside for those - a small extra fund to cover any excess and %'age of vets fees extra to what the insurance company would pay out too.

For spends that are less easy to work out, starting a spending diary is probably an idea - this also covers any "frittering" that might occur... ;)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Thank you for all of the excellent advice, EssexHebridean! I initially clicked on the Budget Brain page and saw the message about it not working properly. I thought the whole program was down, but can see that I am still able to use it. I haven't sorted anything out budget-wise yet and I have been looking at the online YNAB as so many people here recommend it. I will have a go with the Budget Brain later this afternoon and see how I get on. I might be better with a pen and paper.

I don't have any credit cards or overdraft due to previous bad credit - it wasn't my choice to not have them but I am glad now that I don't. In the past I have bought things as I wanted or thought I needed them, and paid them off with a hefty interest charge added. That's what lead to the trouble and bad credit. Now when I want/need something and have to save up for it, I can see that for the most part I can't actually afford it. I honestly didn't see I couldn't afford it when I had the credit card, or possibly I didn't want to see. This is where having an up to date budget will be key in changing my circumstances around.

I have been looking into ways to bring in more income online. I am still planning on applying for more work in the new year but if I can sort out something now while I still have some spare time, I'm hoping I can continue it once I am working more hours. I have been following the Aldi to Harrods blog and looking into matched betting. To be honest it all scares me. I am not a gambler, and it seems like you could lose your money quickly by making one little mistake. I will have to think on it some more.

I am not really into ebay or boot sales other than as a buyer, I'd rather find ways without exchanging goods. I may need to look harder into this if I can't find alternate ways to raise my income. I have barely looked at the Boost Your Income board here which really should have been my first stop. There are so many helpful people here so why I didn't head straight on over is a mystery! :o

Well, this is turning into a longer post than intended! I hope I haven't bored anyone to tears. I will report back once I have made a start with the Budget Brain.
  • Huskyrunner
    Options
    Have you tried declutting via

webuybooks.co.uk

Or another option try online market research surveys they can bring in some extra income.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money-surveys
    debts 16550
    Mortgage 69500
  • Smolly
    Smolly Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome Misty - I have subscribed to your diary! I also follow the Aldi to Harrods blog although I think it has changed its name recently. I love the blog bit about what is good in P0undl@nd - I never see the good stuff - only the tat!

Good luck with your goals - I will keep reading!
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
  • lionheartedgirl
    Options
    Hi MMT - mountains and animals, how could I not join in here!

I have two greyhounds and live at the bottom of some hills just outside Glasgow. I'd love to live further north!

Good luck on your journey. I've been on mine for a very long time and having lovely people from here joining me along the way has been...well... just great!
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    Hello LHGirl, and Smolly! Welcome to the madhouse. :p I have not tried the book buying site but will look into it huskyrunner, thank you for the suggestion.

I was waylayed yesterday and still have not sorted my budget! :(

Inlaws unexpectedly turned up in the afternoon and did not leave until fairly in the evening. I don't mind houseguests normally but this lot are an exception, and a bit of advance notice would have been nice! Unfortunately I didn't have much in aside from different bits of frozen leftovers so made an emergency trip to the co-op and bought the makings for a spag bol as it seemed the cheapest option to feed a crowd.

I didn't buy any wine/beer as that would have blown the whole week's food budget. We had nothing in, because we very rarely drink. Inlaw #1 was not too happy when he asked if I had "something to drink" wink wink aside from the offered tea or coffee, and then when did not return from the co-op with anything either. I told him he was welcome to go down to the corner shop and choose whatever he liked, but when he finally twigged that I would not be paying for it, he became quite stroppy.

The inlaw in question is a very stingy man and prides himself on his meanness. It's not simply watching the pennies, he is the sort who is thrilled by getting one over on someone else. I'm this was just an opportunity to feed his family for free and did not care one jot that it was at my expense or that I could not afford it.

I was at my wits end. It was as if they were wanting a full roast dinner. They turn up expecting to be fed at least once a year, and no matter how many times I have told them to call first, they continue to show up on the doorstep. I have finally decided that the next time they try this, I will not offer food. I will even lie and say we have already had an early dinner. It will be interesting to see how long they stay before they realise they will not be getting a free supper. I should have put my foot down years ago as I do not particularly like these inlaws, I have put up with it so as not to start a war with my hubby, who is far too biddable where his relatives are concerned, this uncle in particular. Last night was the final straw and I am now ready for a battle! :mad:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They sound like a nightmare MMT, what rudeness.

Hope the spaghetti Bolognese was good?
  • MistyMountainTop
    Options
    They sound like a nightmare MMT, what rudeness.

Hope the spaghetti Bolognese was good?

It was nothing special. :p

I had a jar of Aldi basic sauce in the cupboard, so used that with a can of tinned tomatoes and the cheapest smallest bit of mince the co-op sold. I added a plain leaf salad with no dressing. It was probably passive aggressive (is that the right term?) but really I did not want to encourage these people to come back.

I had a chat with hub and he is in agreement that we will no longer accept this behaviour from them . This uncle bullied him as a child and knows just what to do to upset him. He has always given in for an easy life. The uncle knows I don't like him and will only stand for his ways because of hub, so seems to take particular glee in trying to make my life unpleasant. To be fair the aunt is ok, she's a bit of a mouse and looks mortified at the things the uncle says and does but will not risk upsetting him. Their son (hub's cousin) is a junior version of the father so there is no love lost there. My hub is not normally a doormat but cannot seem to find the courage to stand up to the uncle himself. He is happy for me to now take the lead though, even if it causes a big rift. I think he is secretly looking forward to it... :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure