Flo's Debt Free Diary

Comments

• Why not set yourself a few challenges each day to help keep you motivated? Something that is MSE for example like using up leftovers for tea, something to help with the job hunting like getting signed up to temp agency or start a job application, something to help with your mental health like going for a walk, listen to music, declutter a drawer or some such thing?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why not set yourself a few challenges each day to help keep you motivated? Something that is MSE for example like using up leftovers for tea, something to help with the job hunting like getting signed up to temp agency or start a job application, something to help with your mental health like going for a walk, listen to music, declutter a drawer or some such thing?

Thank you ES, those are some good ideas.

I'm concerned there aren't enough hours in the day, somehow time seems to be escaping from me and my OH seems to think I should be able to keep the house tidy, apply for millions of jobs and do exercise each day. Maybe I should be able to, but somehow my days don't work like that. And bizarrely my OH wants my day to be absolutely filled so I am free to watch endless TV with him in the evening, which seems a bit counter productive.

Each day he asks me what I've been up to when he was at work and even if I feel like I have been really productive, somehow he makes me feel that I have failed.

Naturally I agree my number one priority is getting a new job, but just what would quantify as a good amount of work to do towards that each day? And where do the other chores fit in?

I can see that OH would be !!!!ed off if he comes home from work every day and all I've done is sat on my bum watching Netflix...

Aargh!!!!

And I'm not even allowed to get up early (I like getting up between 5-6am in an ideal world) as the alarm would wake OH and he is enjoying having a decent amount of sleep now that I don't have to get up ridiculously early for work.

So...that's the way things are at the moment.

On another note I did some great money saving today. I took advantage of the Sainsbury's double up to get some new clothes. There was a massive sale on so I got clothes with a before sale price of £64, for a sale price of £22, which I used my £10 of points doubled up for, so in conclusion I got 4 items of clothing for £2. 2 Skirts, a long sleeve white shirt and a yellow sweater vest. I then went to Morrison's on the same industrial estate and used my £5 More voucher to get 2 sandwich tins, a baking sheet, and some bramble jelly.

A good day, I caught up with my blog, now relaxing on here with Stranger Things 2 on in the background. Might make a cup of tea.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Florence_J
    I didn't think to check Martin's Cheap Energy Club, despite having previously put in my details, which is silly. I've looked again and the deals are so much better then the other comparison sites. I have put in a switch to change to a supplier called Bulb. Admittedly there was limited feedback, but all the feedback was either 'great' (93%) or 'ok' (7%) which seems fine to me. I don't need much from an energy supplier, just a way to submit monthly meter readings.

Am looking to save about £20 from my new, increased direct debit amount. It is about £11 more then I am currently paying, but we all know the cost of living has increased.
  • Florence_J
    Good news is I woke up naturally at 5am today - so I didn't wake OH up with an alarm, and I am going to get a good head start on the day. I only have a few hours in the morning before my friend comes round as we are going to make a cake to celebrate and commemorate me clearing my overdraft (unusual way to celebrate I know, but I thought it would be low cost).

I am also celebrating as Martin's credit club emailed me to say my rating had been updated - I checked and for the first time I am in the 'good' rating. Previously I was extremely high in the 'fair' category, so this is another cause for celebration.
  • Florence_J
    Hi Everybody,

Another day where I woke up early and stayed up. Woke up just before 6am, I love it, honestly I do. I would rather get up early and be tired then sleep in late and be well rested.

I made £5 in Amazon vouchers today on Opinion Outpost, went for a 5k walk in the light rain which was actually lovely, and other than a bit of washing up all chores are done.

OH is treating me to a night out at the cinema and a burger tonight. I say treat, but it's because I bought the coach tickets for Queen in Birmingham so money wise we are equal. That sounds like I am discrediting it, which I am not as it is a lovely treat and it means I get to claim a NSD today :D

I feel fine, I applied for a job on Friday, one that I hope to get.

Our house is falling apart and the landlord isn't doing anything about the damp and it is so bad that my lovely friend who is an architect came round and worked up the courage to politely tell me that it is really bad and needs to be looked into, saying that it is a clear sign of structural damage/a leak. Well, the landlord sees it differently....

The trouble is our house is fine in most parts, but it has always had a problem with damp. The other trouble is how house is crazy cheap, even by Cardiff prices, (it is a 2 bedroom terraced house with 2 living rooms and a garden for £550 a month, we haven't had a single increase in rent since we moved in 6 years ago) so I have made my projected time frame for paying off my debt based on always living here, but OH hates the house and it is not fair to make him stay in a house he hates, so I have said to him if I get a job in Cardiff then we can look to move.
  • Florence_J
    As if the stress of living in a damp house wasn't bad enough, things are getting a bit worse on my street.

I don't live in the nicest area of Cardiff, but I also live far from the worst areas of Cardiff. I live very close to the city centre-about a 20 minute walk away-in the student area of Cardiff, so because of those two factors my street can be a bit 'lively' (there is also a pub halfway down the street).

We seem to be getting an increase in the old 'knock on the door and run away' type of people on our street, it's not like it happens every day (or even every week) but it is annoying and it's loud and disruptive and it means I will not answer the door after dark if my OH isn't in the house.

And last night at about 9pm, so not late late, our neighbours car windows were smashed in and she had her possessions stolen by thieves. She was distraught and was going up and down the street with her flatmate asking if anyone had seen anything, and it seems it may have been guys in bikes. I am pretty sure she was a student so I feel really bad for her as that will be a huge financial burden to her and/or her parents.

I've lived in this house for 6 years, and things like this didn't happen in the past but they seem to be getting a bit more frequent. I know this is the price I pay for living in the Centre, but I don't drive, so I have to live in the centre, I don't really have a choice.

Ok, so I don't drive, so my car is never going to be smashed into, but it sure puts me off ever investing in anything on this street.

Because of my anxiety and lack of self confidence, I am never going to climb a corporate ladder, my earning potential is limited, I wonder if I will ever get out of this mess. I wonder if I can ever afford to have children. I wonder if I will ever live in a nice area or have the things that so many people take for granted....

Ah, I'm rambling. I just want to somehow future proof my life, which is impossible, that will never happen.
  • Florence_J
    My OH contacted our letting agency as he had been to the doctor with ill health, most likely caused by the damp and mould in our house, also plaster had started falling off the ceiling, so a maintenance man is coming round tomorrow.

I am planning on doing what will probably be my last big job spotter app walk of the year tomorrow to give the final boost to the amazon voucher fund to buy the last of my family's Christmas presents.

I feel that I finally have a handle on the old losing weight business, and am making good strides with that.

My mental health is fine other than the fact I have no money and will have to borrow money off my OH and thus get into debt. 0% interest debt, but still debt.
  • Florence_J
    Howdy do everyone.

Today was quite profitable. Applied for 2 jobs, called a temp agency which seems promising, went on a walk with my job spotter app and made £7.64, and finally was able to cash out a £5 voucher on shopprize, so all in all it was a good day.

Managed to cross everything off my to do list, it was a NSD for me as my OH bought the milk we needed, it was an economical day as well as had leftovers for lunch and dinner.

I feel very content. The only thing that could make my life better at the moment would be a job, obviously.
  • Hi Florence - you very kindly posted some excellent advice in my diary so I thought I would find your own. I’m enthralled and have subscribed! You write so very well. I’ve only got halfway through at the moment - and also read the latest page.:)

I’m was so sorry to read of your anxiety problems and do hope that the job applications turn up trumps. Your OH sounds lovely as well. Here’s to your landlord getting his finger out and doing something about the damp. Fingers crossed for a job in Cardiff so that you can make a move there.

I’ll be back to read some more.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Florence_J
    Hi Florence - you very kindly posted some excellent advice in my diary so I thought I would find your own. I’m enthralled and have subscribed! You write so very well. I’ve only got halfway through at the moment - and also read the latest page.:)

I’m was so sorry to read of your anxiety problems and do hope that the job applications turn up trumps. Your OH sounds lovely as well. Here’s to your landlord getting his finger out and doing something about the damp. Fingers crossed for a job in Cardiff so that you can make a move there.

I’ll be back to read some more.

SSG x

Thank you, you are too kind :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts