JSA - Signing off as I have funds

13»

Comments

• paulr62
    paulr62 Posts: 9 Forumite
    xylophone wrote: »
    The OP does not indicate that he is suffering from ill health?

If he wants the insurance, he needs to sign on and fulfil the JSA conditions.

I don't think that wanting paid time off on redundancy insurance so that he can build an extension for his elderly mother is likely to be looked on kindly by the doctor or the insurer........

I agree they would not, but as I am new to JSA, they have stated that I must spend 30 hours per week looking for work and at the end of 12 weeks, if I turn down a job, it will stop. I have to fill in a looking for work booklet and it would be hard to write down 30 hours of effort unless it was filled with job interviews - I may simply sign off JSA and stop paying the insurance premiums. I really don't need this hassle of lying to the JSA, making up activity to please them when the chances of me getting a job due to zero qualifications at the age of 54 is soul destroyingly low. PS My savings are paying for my house extension, not this policy.
  • paulr62
    paulr62 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Penitent wrote: »
    It is possible. You sign on every two weeks to maintain a NIC only JSA claim, but you won't receive JSA payments.[/QUOTE

Of course !! I understand completely now - my mind must have gone as I totally misread the answer.

The thought though of doing 30 hours job hunting to get zero money from the JSA is still a pain as I have not a clue on how to justify those hours in the event I fall short of that target.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    paulr62 wrote: »
    The thought though of doing 30 hours job hunting to get zero money from the JSA is still a pain as I have not a clue on how to justify those hours in the event I fall short of that target.

You are looking at this the wrong way, you are not getting zero money for your 30 hours you will be getting £2700 per month, it doesn't matter you are not getting any via JSA, if you don't follow the JSA rules you will not get the £2700.

I am not sure of the new rules do you have to account for every hour?

Could you do something like the following

1/2hr. Traveled to XXXX
    1hr Handed my CV into company A, B, C etc
    1/2hr Traveled home
    1hr - researched jobs on internet used sites A,B,C et
    2hr - applied for job Z (it can take two hours to fill out an application properly)

I am not sure if they count travel time as included, would be a good idea to ask this.
  • Gypsywoman
    Gypsywoman Posts: 25 Forumite
    No. not medically qualified, but non-judgemental and a realist in the face of people who could not withstand what this guy is going through. In, fact i doubt many, like yourself, who sits in judgement have ever been their own bosses, earned and therefore will have paid in what this guy will have.

No, fabrication is needed to know of the stress this situation will cause - are you unable to understand that on some level?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 12:19PM
    You're overthinking the 30 hours jobsearch. If you look like you're making an effort then they don't scrutinise it in that much depth - not until you're longer term unemployed.
    Scanning the jobsites and checking emails each day - an hour.
    Catching up with ex colleagues, making contacts -that's got to be a couple of hours professional networking - no one says that it can't be done in the pub.
    Updating a CV and cover letter? Couple of hours.
    Registering with agencies and telephone calls? Chuck it all on there. It's all work search related.
    I'm by no means suggesting you fiddle the system. But if you are genuinely job hunting then it will show. So bear in mind that what takes an educated professional half an hour may take someone else a lot longer. So I'd put the longer time down because it gave me more opportunity to properly job hunt than faff around applying for jobs I was never going to get anyway because I was "overqualified."
    I did this for 3 months till I got a decent job, and no one ever questioned the amount of time I spent, even though I was only putting in a few relevant applications a week.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Gypsywoman
    Gypsywoman Posts: 25 Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Wow. Do you have a habit of fabricating illness for financial gain? Are you medically qualified?

I did reply to you but forget to quote you - how easily some are forgotten. Seems like you are not the only one wrong again. I wrongly did not quote you and you, like so many of your other little snipes are wrong.

I wonder if you even know what negative stress can do to a person? You can get a sick note for a sore throat/influenza/ and and so many other condition, including stress. I do not need to be medically qualified to know that, now do I?

My background though is in an area that worked at times very closely with a certain area of the medical services and I know he would get a sick note if he explained the pressure he is under. It is true and there is no denying it.

People like you who snipe with no knowledge of who or even what you are sniping at - are often made to look like fools!.

Your reply when it comes, will not be responded to. I have explained and if that is not enough for you - tough!
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    What is the worst that can happen if you are sanctioned? They cant stop money that you are not getting? People who are sanctioned are supposedly counted as unemployed! Say as little as possible when you sign on, allow them to sanction you but continue to sign on as unemployed. Use the time you have free wisely both in recreation, study or finding yourself the right position. Many people signing on would envy your position. Just check the facts about your actions and don't take faceless peoples like me on the internet for advice. all the best!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sign On. Get your NI and your redundancy insurance. Apply for jobs as stated earlier - CV showing your previous earnings, qualifications etc so that prospective employers realise that you would not be an asset in their min wage jobs. Maintain a spreadsheet showing websites checked, calls made, applications made, delivered or posted. Interviews attended. Have an end column showing the outcome. Make it look professional. Maintain a file with copies of everything you send out incl emails. Just make it professional. That would be enough to satisfy the insurers and DWP.

Good luck, you sound level-headed and strong enough to work through all this adversity. Xx
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    paulr62 wrote: »

(i) Please help me !! I have been my own boss for 35 years but I eventually took a job as I got defrauded and lost my business. I worked for 10 months at £50k per annum for an employer

(ii) This I did and I am now claiming under the JSA umbrella - I say claiming, but due to my savings, I am not entitled to any payments, only NI credits.

(iii) The JSA have stated that after a certain time period, they have told me that I have to accept any job, no matter what the salary.

When you applied did you apply for contributions-based JSA or income-based JSA or tick both boxes?

As from what you say above at (i) you should be entitled to 26 weeks' worth of c-b JSA, irrespective of savings. Although I realise your main aim is the insurance £.

But I recently helped a claimant who had applied for both but the JCP had mistakenly processed the income-based JSA claim only, as that JCP was not used to claimants who had worked(!) [Yes, amazingly that was the response received]

Yes, (iii) is correct - the 'permitted period' whereby you are entitled to restrict your search to your previous area of experience usually only lasts for 13 weeks.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mersey wrote: »
    When you applied did you apply for contributions-based JSA or income-based JSA or tick both boxes?

As from what you say above at (i) you should be entitled to 26 weeks' worth of c-b JSA, irrespective of savings. Although I realise your main aim is the insurance £.

The OP says that they were 'their' own boss for all but 10 months. If this means that they were self employed then they won't have the necessary past two years Class 1 NI payments to qualify for CB JSA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure