DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2017 at 10:59PM
    Hi everyone :wave:

So the January household DMP is chugging along nicely. We've sent off a few F&F offers to our lowest debts - the offers only amount to a few hundred pounds in total. Totally expect them to be rejected - but if you don't ask you'll never know ;)

I still hate my job - another naff day at work, but I come home smiling because I know the job is helping pay down our debts. For that reason (and the pension) I'm sticking with it.

Hope everyone else is okay. It's great to see so many new names joining us (not great they've got the debt, but great they've made a decision to deal with it). A huge hello to all the newcomers - some I've already chatted with and apologies if I've missed any other newcomers....this thread moves quite quickly sometimes.

:wave:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month

So the January household DMP is chugging along nicely. We've sent off a few F&F offers to our lowest debts - the offers only amount to a few hundred pounds in total. Totally expect them to be rejected - but if you don't ask you'll never know ;)

I still hate my job - another naff day at work, but I come home smiling because I know the job is helping pay down our debts. For that reason (and the pension) I'm sticking with it.

Hope everyone else is okay. It's great to see so many new names joining us (not great they've got the debt, but great they've made a decision to deal with it). A huge hello to all the newcomers - some I've already chatted with and apologies if I've missed any other newcomers....this thread moves quite quickly sometimes.

:wave:

Hi January

Good luck with the F&f, like you say, you never know ;)

I keep reading that personal debt is going up generally, a thought which shocks me when I know how much trouble mine has caused me. How many people admit to it....not many I suspect :(. But I think it's great so many people are joining us on the thread to try to get on top of their debt, and for everyone that signs in, there are many lurkers out there :wave::wave: and that's ok too.

I've had jobs in the past that I've hated and my way of gettin through was to learn to like bits of it, like the people I worked with or the fact it gave me reasonable time off or whatever, it's surprising what you can put up with when there's an incentive to keep going. Using the debt pay down as reward for the disliked job seems a great motivation.

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    From henrrryyyy. 'and im assuming if my SC payment covers my contractual payment I wont receive a bad payment on said account anyway(only affects 1 of my accounts)', reply from January " If you meet contractual payments on an account there will not be any negative impact on your credit reference agency files."

I back up what January has said about defaults and credit files, though it's only heresay for me as I'm not 6 years past default yet.....umm that's a thought, I might get a countdown calendar running for time to first default being spent:rotfl:

Anyway sorry back to subject in hand, what I was going to say was, that if you are meeting contractual payments, you are unlikely to get a default, but then why would you be in a DMP ?

Also some lenders are just more efficient at defaulting than others and some deliberately don't, maybe because of the credit file track, maybe just because. And I do have one CC which has never been marked anything but paid up, even though I only pay less than third of the contractual payment, but I don't mind since it'll look better on my credit file when the defaults have finally dropped off:o

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • ella2ethan1
    ella2ethan1 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm still waiting for the new email from SC with the updated figures to start, while I'm not paying do I need to contact my creditors and tell them before it defaults?

I don't know if I will last more than a couple of months before setting up the plan as guilt will set in.

If I do need to tell them as anyone got a letter template please?
  • henrryyyy
    henrryyyy Posts: 59 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2017 at 4:43PM
    See my comments in red above. Others can also confirm what I have said
    Thanks January, I know this is probably the third time you've explained it, its just confusing when you are being told 2 different things, and I wanted to make sure I didnt misunderstand.
    I'd be interested to see the results of your F&F offers, seems crazy to me that creditors would accept a reduced lump sum to pay off the debt, but I see they often do! fingers crossed :D
    Sazzie23 wrote: »
    From henrrryyyy. 'and im assuming if my SC payment covers my contractual payment I wont receive a bad payment on said account anyway(only affects 1 of my accounts)', reply from January " If you meet contractual payments on an account there will not be any negative impact on your credit reference agency files."

I back up what January has said about defaults and credit files, though it's only heresay for me as I'm not 6 years past default yet.....umm that's a thought, I might get a countdown calendar running for time to first default being spent:rotfl:

Anyway sorry back to subject in hand, what I was going to say was, that if you are meeting contractual payments, you are unlikely to get a default, but then why would you be in a DMP ?

Also some lenders are just more efficient at defaulting than others and some deliberately don't, maybe because of the credit file track, maybe just because. And I do have one CC which has never been marked anything but paid up, even though I only pay less than third of the contractual payment, but I don't mind since it'll look better on my credit file when the defaults have finally dropped off:o

Saz
    its only 1 account where I will be meeting contractual payments(only a small credit card and stepchanges minimum payment is £5)

so I dont actually have to delay the start date to get the defaults? my stepchange payment will cause me to not do my contractual payments, just means I have to chase the defaults?
  • beerow
    beerow Posts: 51 Forumite
    Well all you people that have rang your creditors, well done!! I on the other hand bottled it and sent them all first class recorded letters yesterday. I'm still waiting for my HSBC basic account details to come through though so can't set up my Step Change DMP yet but am ready and raring to go when I do. It's a good feeling knowing that I've taken the first tiny step to tackling our debt.
  • henrryyyy
    henrryyyy Posts: 59 Forumite
    The advice I was given when I first came on here was its better to keep everything in writing anyway, although I took that to mean email, so I've only been emailing my creditors lol
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    beerow wrote: »
    Well all you people that have rang your creditors, well done!! I on the other hand bottled it and sent them all first class recorded letters yesterday. I'm still waiting for my HSBC basic account details to come through though so can't set up my Step Change DMP yet but am ready and raring to go when I do. It's a good feeling knowing that I've taken the first tiny step to tackling our debt.

You're not the only chicken out there. I contacted my CCs through the Secure messaging service and I wrote to the bank regarding loans.

Any other time I am so sure of myself but in this case I bottled it too :o

Maybe as we plod along on our journeys we will become more brave :D

Good luck
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

So - tonight, I've been sitting here playing the 'what if' game. What if those F&F's I sent off were accepted :rotfl:..... well..... if they were my debt would reduce to the £50k's. Highly unlikely, but it is soooooo nice to play 'what if' occassionally;)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

So - tonight, I've been sitting here playing the 'what if' game. What if those F&F's I sent off were accepted :rotfl:..... well..... if they were my debt would reduce to the £50k's. Highly unlikely, but it is soooooo nice to play 'what if' occassionally;)

Stranger things have happened lol !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure