PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does the estate agent have to tell you?

Options
I was wondering what information the Estate Agent needs to disclose when you are viewing a property?

I am currently in the process of buying our first flat, we have got all the mortgage approved, survey and searches back and a couple of changes to the lease done. we were reading our solicitors report with the view to exchange in a couple of days and complete a few weeks after when it popped up that the property was grade 2 listed.

My partner and I would never have even viewed the property let alone put an offer in or get so close to buying the flat had we known it was a listed building.

If the sale now does not go though because it's listed is there anyway of getting legal fees back from the estate agent?

Comments

• ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, they don't have to specifically tell you anything unless you ask :(
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The Estate Agent might not have known if the vendor had not disclosed it to them. This is why you have a survey done, so that you know these things before you exchange contracts and are committed to purchasing the property.
  • Blonde94
    Options
    Thank you,

My partner is sure he asked but we have nothing in writing it would have just been verbal so don't think we can do anything
  • Blonde94
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    The Estate Agent might not have known if the vendor had not disclosed it to them. This is why you have a survey done, so that you know these things before you exchange contracts and are committed to purchasing the property.

Thank fully we noticed just before we exchanged. Now considering the options on if we pull out, re-negotiate our offer or just continue with the buying process
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    I feel your pain...however the EA can and probably will tell you anything you might want to hear to entice you into buying a property!

t is up to you and your solicitor to ensure you know exactly what you are buying and any implication.

I am currently midway though a purchase where a covenant has just been discovered that basically the EA could have told us about if they had wanted to...5 months into the purchase with associated costs and we may now need to pull out purely because we cannot physically meet the requirement to buy.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    Your solicitor will have received a form called a Sellers Property Information Form. This will have been sent to your solicitor by the solicitor acting for the vendor, usually very early on in the process.

One of the questions is:

Is the property or any part of it a listed building?

I would be asking why your solicitor didn't draw your attention to the information contained in this form far earlier in the process, it shouldn't be coming to light when you are nearly ready to exchange.
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    I am currently midway though a purchase where a covenant has just been discovered that basically the EA could have told us about if they had wanted to...5 months into the purchase with associated costs and we may now need to pull out purely because we cannot physically meet the requirement to buy.

Are you certain the EA was aware of the covenant? Most EAs are not experts on interpreting covenants, that's what you have a solicitor for.
  • LEJC
    edited 15 June 2017 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Are you certain the EA was aware of the covenant? Most EAs are not experts on interpreting covenants, that's what you have a solicitor for.

I believe the EA may have known about the covenant...it's age related and has been uncovered during the searches by our solicitor.

I understand that a previous sale fell through although no idea if this was a factor. in that fail to complete or not.
    Although during our second viewing of the property the agent did advise us that last year they sold a neighbouring house,which would have the same restrictions as the one we intend/ed to purchase.

Its been a very slow process as the sale was also a probate being dealt with by a solicitor who was not the selling solicitor and a set of executors who also formed a third layer in the chain on the selling side.

TBH....the EA can only tell you what they know about an area or property or what they are told....Hindsight is the wonderful thing that always comes to light later.
    The restrictions on this particular property maybe should have been pointed out by those selling to the EA particularly as a large portion of the purchasing public may not be able to purchase this one!!!!

ces't la vie

• Surrey_EA
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    I believe the EA may have known about the covenant...it's age related and has been uncovered during the searches by our solicitor.

I understand that a previous sale fell through although no idea if this was a factor. in that fail to complete or not.

Its been a very slow process as the sale was also a probate being dealt with by a solicitor who was not the selling solicitor and a set of executors who also formed a third layer in the chain on the selling side.

ces't la vie

As ever, the agent is only is good as the information they are given. However, part of that should be knowing which questions to ask, and any half decent EA should know which buildings near to them come with an age restriction.

A minor point, but I would be surprised if the covenant turned up amongst the search results, it is likely to have been referred to within the Land registry title.
  • LEJC
    Options
    Sorry my apologies I've just amened my post to include some extra info and you may have replied whilst doing that....

but back to topic and the op's original question....we have digressed with my situation which whilst is of interest to me may make them feel I have hijacked their thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport