PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chopped tree down, neighbour saying we damaged property

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    vw100 wrote: »
    When a tree is chopped down, the roots in the ground start to shrink and die, causing soil movement. However for a 6ft tree it hardly going to have huge root structure. your neighbour is barking up the wrong tree :)

Cutting down trees is more likely to cause 'heave' (in clay soil), which is swelling rather than shrinking.

As trees grow bigger, their roots suck more water out of the soil, which can cause the clay soil to shrink. If the soil shrinks under the foundations of a house, part of the house may drop downwards - that's 'subsidence'.

Conversely, if you cut down a tree, it is no longer sucking water out of the soil. So clay soil might swell up. If the soil swells under the foundations of a house, part of the house may be pushed upwards - that's 'heave'.

But as others say, a 6ft tree is unlikely to do that.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    OP do you really mean it was a single tree six feet high?

Surely that would be pulled up rather than chopped down??

Is there more to this?
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    prosaver wrote: »
    if its an Ash tree ..your not allowed..sorry..

Ah, the Voice Of Reason...

Just for that, I'm off to cut down and burn all my ash trees - and I have a few of them too!

Bet it's bleeding Brussels again, telling us wot we can or cant do an the like. If only there was a way we could show our displeasure at all them expats... experts, rather, some way to demonstrate our... Oh... right! :p
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    2bFrank wrote: »
    about 6 footish

This has to be a wind-up, we have weeds bigger than that in our garden.

;)
  • 2bFrank
    2bFrank Posts: 363 Forumite
    How close to her house was it? Unless it was really close it won't effect her house, but if you want to be sure and know the type of tree it was, then google will tell you how big the root is likely to be.

not sure big the roots are, the roots are still there, we gave up after the neighbour came out. I could just about wrap my fingers around the trunk. It was 6footish in height. the branches did spread quite far though. The tree was quite near her house, but there is a fence next to it, the fence looks fine.
    In what way did you take it out on her husband?

The neighbour is quite cocky and loud mouth, plus she was drunk, she started trying to hit us as she knew we wouldn't hit her back, so my mate picked up the axe and I dragged her husband out of his house and whilst my mate threaten him with the axe. She soon shut up, felt bad for the husband/ boyfriend, he keeps himself to himself and is just a drunk/ stoner, he soon sobered up though lol.
  • 2bFrank
    At six foot, you'd either have to dig it up or cut it down and poison it to stop it resprouting. I wouldn't have thought it was a two-man job, though.

Yeah we tried pulling it down at first, but even with two big lads, it wasn't moving. It wasn't really a two man job to cut it, but we spent the easter weekend sorting out his garden, it was a mess and his little one is starting to walk so needs a safe garden to play.
  • Kalamazoo
    Kalamazoo Posts: 56 Forumite
    When chavs collide!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The neighbour is quite cocky and loud mouth, plus she was drunk, she started trying to hit us as she knew we wouldn't hit her back, so my mate picked up the axe and I dragged her husband out of his house and whilst my mate threaten him with the axe. She soon shut up, felt bad for the husband/ boyfriend, he keeps himself to himself and is just a drunk/ stoner, he soon sobered up though lol.

Wind-up it is, then.
  • 2bFrank
    Myself and my mate are not chavs. We are quite educated, with well paying jobs. However the neighbours are, with feral kids and !!!!ed up most nights (there house backs on to my mates) unfortunately we did go down to there level though when she started to hit us, guess there is a little chav in us.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    .... my mate picked up .... I dragged .....out of his house ....my mate threaten him with the ....
    This is utterly vile, you're a Neighbourhood Terrorist in my eyes.

You had the choice of not touching the .... and just saying "whatever" and going indoors to let them stew in their own p155 and garden ....

You need to learn to walk away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport