Origin Broadband - any good

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    35.00+ cashback for "Line + Broadband Product" available via Quidco/TCB assuming that Origin B honour the marketing incentive that they offer via those cashback sites
    Still waiting for mine from November. In 'Pending' status, so there's still some hope.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Still waiting for mine from November. In 'Pending' status, so there's still some hope.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72392793#post72392793

Complaint emailed 9th February and re-emailed 20th February and 13 March to Origin Broadband Chief Executive -

No response - Within my escalation of complaint to Communications Ombudsman I have asked for 150.00 compensation ( have cited apparent justification for this) in addition to advertised/promoted new business 35.00 cashback incentive being paid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebate_(marketing)

"A rebate is an amount paid by way of reduction, return, or refund on what has already been paid or contributed. It is a type of sales promotion that marketers use primarily as incentives or supplements to product sales"

"Rebates are commonly offered by retailers indirectly, through the use of a third party rebate or Cashback website."
  • cmcgeeney
    cmcgeeney Posts: 118 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 12:02PM
    Joined Origin online in January via topcashback, paid a year upfront for 1 year unlimited ASDL service. Origin did not initiate the transfer process until the 14 days cooling off period had expired. It then was another 14 days after the transfer process started, before service started (basically a month from I ordered). Topcashback originally did not track ... but came good in the end.

On the day the service was to start, the old provider was switched off at about 0530 and while the telephone service started straight away, the broadband service did not start to 2200, so the majority of the day without broadband.

This month I’ve had £8.21 taken from my bank account – absolutely no idea why. It’s not in respect of telephone calls as the only calls made have been to their Freephone support number. The online portal is poor – rather than a bill showing a debit of £8.21 it shows a credit of £19.77 … so no idea how their billing works – maybe I should make a claim under the direct debit guarantee as there has been no notice of this amount being deducted. The customer portal does not give any live call charges or anything like that … it’s very basic.

Disconnections – yeah, I’ve had random drop outs and disconnections, not major, but inconvenient all the same. The router is plugged directly into the test socket and I’ve tried a few microfilters, but still get random short disconnections from time to time. I did enquire about changing the connection to fibre, however I don’t really want to enter a new 12 month contract. BT’s fibre offers are much cheaper (and better speeds) anyway – I’ll just stick it out until the time comes to change again, as I can live with it.

Support – Telephoning technical support – expect to wait at least an hour before talking to someone. The staff are polite … but the Interactive Voice Response system needs toning down, it’s very in your face.

Not a total nightmare … but improvements need to be made.
  • chile_paul
    chile_paul Posts: 412 Forumite
    I signed up with Origin Broadband on the 16th Feb and paid a year (£189.99) in advance - and then, other than a receipt for payment, heard absolutely nothing from them - no emails, no order number, no letters nothing.......

Phoned up a week later and after spending an age on the phone got an apology and was told they would chase up the order.

Another week went by and still nothing, following a bit of internet research I encountered other people who were experiencing similar issues so I phoned back up to cancel the order - I was promised a refund back to my credit card.

A week later having not seen a credit on to my credit card statement I emailed in to Origin and was told that the refund was being processed and it would take 10-14 days to process.

However still, 2 months after initially placing my order and after a number of chase emails, I still have no refund and nothing from them to ever acknowledge my email.

I will now be making a formal complaint and if this is not resolved I will be escalating to the ombudsman.

Very disappointed!
  • DRJM
    DRJM Posts: 3 Newbie
    I am absolutely appalled by the inept, amateurish, non-existant "service" provided by Origin Broadband, and were I not the one experiencing their "service" I wouldn't actually believe it.

I switched from Talktalk to Origin at the end of March and was informed my internet connection would be up and running on 04/04/2017; needless to say this did not happen. I called and after being on hold for over 1 hour was assured the service would be fully connected the following day. I explained to the individual this was imperative as I work online from home, so without any internet access I would be unable to work, and therefore miss out on my wages.

After waiting another day, and still no internet connection I called back, and after spending over 2 hours
    on the telephone, mostly on hold, I spoke to a representative (and again explained the seriousness of my predicament) who assured me he would take personal ownership of my issue and get back to me before he finished that day, or before 9am the following morning when I was due to start work. He did neither.

I again called back the following morning, and after the now customary 1 hour plus on hold, spoke to another representative (again explaining my position, and that I had now missed numerous work shifts), who apologized for the fact her colleague had failed to call me back as promised. She assured me she would seek a resolution for me and get back to me by the end of the working day. Again, I heard nothing.

Due to no customer service being available over the telephone at the weekend I called back first thing on Monday morning, and now, completely exasperated at the total lack of response from Origin/missed work shifts/lost wages/pressure from my employer, I insisted the issue be escalated and I be able to speak to someone in a managerial position. To my amazement I was informed not one individual in a position higher that a Customer Service adviser was available, either via telephone, email or in writing, as they were all, every single one, "off on training all day". At this point I insisted my case be flagged as high priority and that a manager call me as soon as possible, however the response I received left me flabbergasted; I was informed they couldn't guarantee anybody would get back to me, and that my internet connection would now not be up and running until the 27/04/2017! When I repeatedly queried why this was the case, and why could I not be connected as a matter of urgency, I was repeatedly told I would not be receiving a answer!

Since this point I have sent emails to the Origin complaints department, sent messages via Facebook and sent tweets to Origin's Twitter account (all from family members home who kindly allowed me to use their internet)... as yet I have received literally no response at all, via any platform. I have asked for the business addresses of Mr Jay Samways, (who I believe is the Sales and Customer Service Team Leader) and Mr Oliver Bryssau (who I am led to believe is the Managing Director), so that I may write to them in order to get some adequate resolution. I have received neither.

As of today I have missed approximately 40 hours of shifts with my employer, and will therefore receive no wages; this not only leaves my job in a precarious position, it also means I will not be able to pay my rent and lead to me falling into arrears with my landlord.

I will be seeking full refund of the missed wages from Origin if/when I ever hear back from them, and I have contacted the Ombudsmen, who unfortunately can not take any action until 8 weeks have passed. I would advise anybody considering signing a contract with Origin to avoid them like the plague, as they are quite literally the worst company I have ever had to misfortune to come into contact with.

Origin Broadband = a disgrace!
  • Origin-Broadband
    Origin-Broadband Posts: 69 Organisation Representative
    cmcgeeney wrote: »
    Joined Origin online in January via topcashback, paid a year upfront for 1 year unlimited ASDL service. Origin did not initiate the transfer process until the 14 days cooling off period had expired. It then was another 14 days after the transfer process started, before service started (basically a month from I ordered). Topcashback originally did not track ... but came good in the end.

On the day the service was to start, the old provider was switched off at about 0530 and while the telephone service started straight away, the broadband service did not start to 2200, so the majority of the day without broadband.

This month I’ve had £8.21 taken from my bank account – absolutely no idea why. It’s not in respect of telephone calls as the only calls made have been to their Freephone support number. The online portal is poor – rather than a bill showing a debit of £8.21 it shows a credit of £19.77 … so no idea how their billing works – maybe I should make a claim under the direct debit guarantee as there has been no notice of this amount being deducted. The customer portal does not give any live call charges or anything like that … it’s very basic.

Disconnections – yeah, I’ve had random drop outs and disconnections, not major, but inconvenient all the same. The router is plugged directly into the test socket and I’ve tried a few microfilters, but still get random short disconnections from time to time. I did enquire about changing the connection to fibre, however I don’t really want to enter a new 12 month contract. BT’s fibre offers are much cheaper (and better sppeds) anyway – I’ll just stick it out until the time comes to change again, as I can live with it.

Support – Telephoning technical support – expect to wait at least an hour before talking to someone. The staff are polite … but the Interactive Voice Response system needs toning down, it’s very in your face.

Not a total nightmare … but improvements need to be made.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your honest feedback, we appreciate this.

I understand a member of our complaints team has been in contact with you about the points you have raised, please check your 'Junk/Spam' folder for the email response.

Thank you again,

Origin Broadband
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Origin-Broadband
    chile_paul wrote: »
    I signed up with Origin Broadband on the 16th Feb and paid a year (£189.99) in advance - and then, other than a receipt for payment, heard absolutely nothing from them - no emails, no order number, no letters nothing.......

Phoned up a week later and after spending an age on the phone got an apology and was told they would chase up the order.

Another week went by and still nothing, following a bit of internet research I encountered other people who were experiencing similar issues so I phoned back up to cancel the order - I was promised a refund back to my credit card.

A week later having not seen a credit on to my credit card statement I emailed in to Origin and was told that the refund was being processed and it would take 10-14 days to process.

However still, 2 months after initially placing my order and after a number of chase emails, I still have no refund and nothing from them to ever acknowledge my email.

I will now be making a formal complaint and if this is not resolved I will be escalating to the ombudsman.

Very disappointed!

Good Morning,

I understand a member of our complaints team has responded to your email about the issues you have raised, and that you have now received your refund.

I would like to apologise for the fact you did not receive any order confirmation which then led to you cancelling your service. I can assure you improvements have been made to avoid this happening in the future.

If you would like to respond to the email the complaints team have sent through to you, you are able to do so.

Thank You

Origin Broadband
    I am the official company representative of Origin Broadband. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Origin-Broadband
    DRJM wrote: »
    I am absolutely appalled by the inept, amateurish, non-existant "service" provided by Origin Broadband, and were I not the one experiencing their "service" I wouldn't actually believe it.

I switched from Talktalk to Origin at the end of March and was informed my internet connection would be up and running on 04/04/2017; needless to say this did not happen. I called and after being on hold for over 1 hour was assured the service would be fully connected the following day. I explained to the individual this was imperative as I work online from home, so without any internet access I would be unable to work, and therefore miss out on my wages.

After waiting another day, and still no internet connection I called back, and after spending over 2 hours
    on the telephone, mostly on hold, I spoke to a representative (and again explained the seriousness of my predicament) who assured me he would take personal ownership of my issue and get back to me before he finished that day, or before 9am the following morning when I was due to start work. He did neither.

I again called back the following morning, and after the now customary 1 hour plus on hold, spoke to another representative (again explaining my position, and that I had now missed numerous work shifts), who apologized for the fact her colleague had failed to call me back as promised. She assured me she would seek a resolution for me and get back to me by the end of the working day. Again, I heard nothing.

Due to no customer service being available over the telephone at the weekend I called back first thing on Monday morning, and now, completely exasperated at the total lack of response from Origin/missed work shifts/lost wages/pressure from my employer, I insisted the issue be escalated and I be able to speak to someone in a managerial position. To my amazement I was informed not one individual in a position higher that a Customer Service adviser was available, either via telephone, email or in writing, as they were all, every single one, "off on training all day". At this point I insisted my case be flagged as high priority and that a manager call me as soon as possible, however the response I received left me flabbergasted; I was informed they couldn't guarantee anybody would get back to me, and that my internet connection would now not be up and running until the 27/04/2017! When I repeatedly queried why this was the case, and why could I not be connected as a matter of urgency, I was repeatedly told I would not be receiving a answer!

Since this point I have sent emails to the Origin complaints department, sent messages via Facebook and sent tweets to Origin's Twitter account (all from family members home who kindly allowed me to use their internet)... as yet I have received literally no response at all, via any platform. I have asked for the business addresses of Mr Jay Samways, (who I believe is the Sales and Customer Service Team Leader) and Mr Oliver Bryssau (who I am led to believe is the Managing Director), so that I may write to them in order to get some adequate resolution. I have received neither.

As of today I have missed approximately 40 hours of shifts with my employer, and will therefore receive no wages; this not only leaves my job in a precarious position, it also means I will not be able to pay my rent and lead to me falling into arrears with my landlord.

I will be seeking full refund of the missed wages from Origin if/when I ever hear back from them, and I have contacted the Ombudsmen, who unfortunately can not take any action until 8 weeks have passed. I would advise anybody considering signing a contract with Origin to avoid them like the plague, as they are quite literally the worst company I have ever had to misfortune to come into contact with.

Origin Broadband = a disgrace!

Good Morning,

I would like to discuss the issues you have raised with you, in order to do this I do require some account details.

Is it possible you could email either your account number/name or postcode/first line of address too: origincomplaints@origin-broadband.co.uk please and I will look at this as a priority, If I could also politely ask for any complaint correspondence you have sent so far to be forwarded to this email address also.

I apologise that you have not had a call back, please be assured I will look into the matter urgently.

Thank You

Origin Broadband
  • DRJM
    DRJM Posts: 3 Newbie
    Good afternoon,

I have just spoken to your representative, Mr Beetham, who has informed me that despite your company assuring me my internet connection would be up and running on 04/04/2017 there is absolutely nothing your company will do to get me connected before 27/04/2017, despite me being unable to work (and thus earn money and falling into rent arrears), as using "home internet for business" requires you, due to your "policy" to apparently do literally nothing to assist a customer who is paying for your non-existent service. Quite how you think not providing a service for nearly a full calendar month is acceptable is beyond me, and due to my circumstance the fact you have confirmed you will make no exceptions whatsoever to help me is simply mind boggling.

In addition, Mr Beetham informed me your company will not offer, even as a gesture of goodwill, a single penny in compensation for the 60 odd hours of wages I will have lost by 27/04/2017 due to being unable to fulfill my work commitments due to having no internet at home; and that doesn't even factor in the costs incurred due to the hours spent on the phone/inconvenience caused. I work part time whilst studying my MA part time, so money is tight for me & every penny counts, yet your company, despite being told repeatedly, have demonstrated zero interest/due care that not only is my job now hanging by a thread, but I will be unable to pay my rent and will fall into arrears with my landlord, leaving me facing possible eviction.

Despite me again asking Mr Beetham for the written business addresses of the two Origin employees named in my previous message, he was unwilling to provide me with them, so the "escalation" process appears to move up the hierarchy to the position of "Team Leader", but will not, for some reason, be permitted to go any further. I have asked Mr Beetham to outline your company's stance (i.e. the fact you are not willing to do a single thing to rectify a situation which is 100% your fault, or compensate me in any way) in writing, as I will be pursuing these issues with the Ombudsmen and will highly likely be pursuing legal action against your company.

I can only recommend any potential customers considering signing up with your company factor in you not only fail to provide the service you advertise, but also your "customer service"
    amounts to washing your hands of any issues/serious problems you have caused paying customers; apologizing yet doing absolutely nothing. Origin Broadband are a scandalous, amateurish outfit, who care not a jot for their customers and the problems they cause them, and I would again advise MSE users to avoid avoid avoid.
  • chile_paul wrote: »

Very disappointed!

If you paid by credit card it may be worth giving your card provider a call, as you may have grounds for a 'chargeback' .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure