UK carriers response to Apples iphone 4 refund announcement

Comments

• bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 July 2010 at 6:57AM
    Maybe, just maybe, it really isn't a problem for using the phone for most people? It isn't for me. Most of the people complaining on message boards don't actually have an iPhone 4...

The clearest way of thinking about it is that instead of putting a small antenna inside a phone, Apple have put a small phone inside a large antenna. The antenna is susceptible to attenuation, but it gets a stronger signal in the first place due to being outside the phone. It can get a signal in places where other phones cannot at all (apparently it can work at -120dB signal strength or something technical like that). This design also allows for a larger battery etc while keeping the phone very thin, which is important for those of us who want our phones to fit in our pockets easily.

All that more than compensates for being able to make bars appear to drop. No dropped calls in my usage.

It must be annoying for people who really are unable to make a phone-call using the phone, but I'm really not sure how many people that affects - a self-selecting poll on a website like this is pretty meaningless.

Anyway, I'm guessing that a huge majority of people are enjoying using an excellent device. :D

that bit highlighted in bold above is absolute b0ll0cks. at -113dbm you lose the signal because it equals the noise floor and signal becomes indistinguishible from the background radiation. thats true for all phones including the iphone, unless jobs found a way to beat physics ;) that would be the only way you could measure something like -120dbm even if something like that exists at all.

ps: my htc desire works fine at -112 dbm and rarely even at -113dbm i can still barely use the data connection. i dont know how thats possible but thats my experience. i dont know if data connection and voice connection have diff strengths, but only one raw signal; strength is shown on the phone.

even when i lose the signal at -113 dbm i can swiftly (if available at that place) get another signal (roaming) due to PRL settings i fiddled with. i dont know if those menus have been also removed on the iphone 4 like the test menu.

there are a few trying to return the phones and being fobbed off by uk networks and shops as beyond the 1 week period for distance selling and no lax period for shop sales. some posts like that on other threads at mse and other forums like avforums etc. as usual uk gets lower standards than usa when it comes to customer care by the looks of it usa seems to be no quibbles refund within 1month but in uk the networks and shops are not playing ball with what jobs said.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • Exhortation
    Exhortation Posts: 774 Forumite
    Oh dear, you really are getting worked up about this for some reason, even though you don't seem to own an iPhone. Instead of spreading fear and uncertainty about this phone, why not save your comments for things you actually have experience of? Several people in this thread who actually own iPhone 4s are reporting better (not worse) signal than on other phones. Someone who sells them has not had a single return because of reception problems. All new gadgets will have teething problems-(the problems with the display or proximity sensor for instance) and Apple's customer service is good at fixing or replacing their products when there are problems. I'm not sure that hysterical comments based on hearsay from people who don't own the device in question are helpful for people thinking about buying one. Perhaps you could just move on and find something else to comment on?:)

I'm not getting worked up at all (I really can't be bothered to read any further than that opening comment) and you're still being patronising. I thought there was an etiquette to this board.
    If I've helped you please show your appreciation by using the "Thanks" button
    > :T
  • Hi all, I have been following this thread with some interest. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 on a two year contract. I queued six hours for it on launch day and got it from an O2 shop. My two friends got 32GB iPhone 4s. Neither of them is experiencing the problem, I get it all the time, several times a day. This may be because I use the phone left handed and they don’t or it may be because they have a different model. Before anyone tells me to use the phone in my right hand or get a case, you are missing the point. I don’t think I should have to keep a defective phone for the next two years. Apple admits its defective, that they “made a mistake”. I have been trying to return the phone since last Fridays announcement that Apple cannot/will not fix it. I have logged support calls with Apple and several with O2 customer service, who seem pretty cheesed off with the iPhone4. The current situation is that even though day 30 will come tomorrow, O2 do not have a returns policy yet. They have agreed that as I have logged the fault they will process my return after 30 days IF that is what they decide to do. I have told them that I am a long standing O2 customer and I would be happy to take the 3GS on a years contract whilst they fix this version. I could tell you a lot more but this post is getting too long already.
  • that bit highlighted in bold above is absolute b0ll0cks. at -113dbm you lose the signal because it equals the noise floor and signal becomes indistinguishible from the background radiation. thats true for all phones including the iphone, unless jobs found a way to beat physics ;) that would be the only way you could measure something like -120dbm even if something like that exists at all.

Here is the source:
    And here's a little snippet from the article:
    The iPhone 4 is better at holding onto calls and data at very low signal levels. We’ve mentioned this one before but it’s worth reiterating. The new antenna does let me make calls and transmit data at very low signal strength. With the iOS 4.0.1 update I was able to make a call at -115dB on the 3GS, however the call did drop within a minute of starting it. By comparison I was able to have a much longer conversation without dropping the call at -120dB on the 4.

Happy to help :)

PS The article does say that they think the iPhone4 design is "too risky" because you can attenuate the signal, but this is a design decision, not some kind of mistake. As I've said, seems to be working well in actual real word use.
  • Jimrod
    Jimrod Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Stuartino wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been following this thread with some interest. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 on a two year contract. I queued six hours for it on launch day and got it from an O2 shop. My two friends got 32GB iPhone 4s. Neither of them is experiencing the problem, I get it all the time, several times a day. This may be because I use the phone left handed and they don’t or it may be because they have a different model. Before anyone tells me to use the phone in my right hand or get a case, you are missing the point. I don’t think I should have to keep a defective phone for the next two years. Apple admits its defective, that they “made a mistake”. I have been trying to return the phone since last Fridays announcement that Apple cannot/will not fix it. I have logged support calls with Apple and several with O2 customer service, who seem pretty cheesed off with the iPhone4. The current situation is that even though day 30 will come tomorrow, O2 do not have a returns policy yet. They have agreed that as I have logged the fault they will process my return after 30 days IF that is what they decide to do. I have told them that I am a long standing O2 customer and I would be happy to take the 3GS on a years contract whilst they fix this version. I could tell you a lot more but this post is getting too long already.

In totally the same situation, agree on all points and O2 seem to be almost purposely dragging their feet - I'm sure they know full well most who bought the phones in the first couple of days will be past the window for Apple's exchange very shortly, coincidence? We are already well out of the 14 day cooldown period, something I gambled on based on Apple's press conference where I was expecting a "fix" of some kind, how naive of me.
  • O2 did say that at present their existing 14 day return procedures are the only ones they can advise on. They did ask if I had tried to take it back to the shop, but I pointed out that their web page says specifically not to go the shops as the shops can’t help. The O2 service person that I spoke to did try to tell me that I could not return the phone as faulty. But I pointed out the Apple regard it as faulty. Of course apple say that all mobile phones are faulty, just some are more “faulty” than others! He agreed, then said I should wait for the return process to be finalised.

I thought this thread was to discuss UK carriers response to the proposed refund, not a technical execise in understanding antennas and frequencies. Apologies if I got that wrong.
  • Jimrod
    Stuartino wrote: »
    O2 did say that at present their existing 14 day return procedures are the only ones they can advise on. They did ask if I had tried to take it back to the shop, but I pointed out that their web page says specifically not to go the shops as the shops can’t help. The O2 service person that I spoke to did try to tell me that I could not return the phone as faulty. But I pointed out the Apple regard it as faulty. Of course apple say that all mobile phones are faulty, just some are more “faulty” than others! He agreed, then said I should wait for the return process to be finalised.

I thought this thread was to discuss UK carriers response to the proposed refund, not a technical execise in understanding antennas and frequencies. Apologies if I got that wrong.

Official response to me from O2 online support agent -

"Welcome to O2 live chat. Someone will start chatting with you soon.

You're through to Angela.

Angela: Hi I'm Angela from O2 Online Chat. How can I help you today?

James: Hi, I'm sure you've heard the same thing many times but I have an iPhone 4 and was hoping to be able to return it due to signal issue (which I definitely have) after Apple's announcement - but O2 still not responding on their page and my 30 days is up around now...

Angela: I'm sorry about it. You can definitely return the iPhone 4 at any Apple store, if you aren't happy with it. You'll receive a full refund, if you return it within 30 days from the date of purchase.

James: I bought it through O2 over the phone - I still have the return labels? The nearest Apple store is a long way away. I am also locked into a 2 year contract which I'd rather not have as I bought it based on a "working" phone - I would gladly change for another model or shorten contract to 12 months etc...

Angela: I respect your decision.

*long pause as I was waiting for the next piece of info...*

James: So I can send it back to O2 for a refund and cancel the contract?

Angela: I'd request you to check the same at our store as I believe you can return it only at the Apple store.

James: But I didn't buy it from Apple, my contract is with you...

Angela: Yes, I appreciate that. If you want a refund you'll have to visit Apple & they'll refund the amount. If you'd like to change your contract to another phone you can visit our store.

James: Ok, thank you."

Not very useful really.
  • Actually Jimrod you got a bit closer than I did. "If you'd like to change your contract to another phone you can visit our store" I haven't been offered that. I have asked for it, as long as the contract length is reduced. 1 year contract with a 3GS will suit me fine.
    Also you reminded me, if you got your iPhone4 on an early upgrade you can't do anything. I'm not sure why, must be in the T&C's, but each service person asked me that and sounded very deflated when I said I hadn't.
    I have also had to tell each service person that during the Q&A session at the end of the conference Dieter Bohn is asked will there be refunds for AT&T contracts and he replied "I believe so, Yes". It's at 1:49 in the transcript on the Endgadget website. Of course the offical Apple version of the conference does not have the Q&A session.
  • Jimrod
    Yeah, I'm going to call the local O2 store shortly just to see what they say - I'd imagine it will be "call customer services"! Mine was a fresh contract as you say so may well be easier - I would be much happier with a 1 year tie-in on a HTC or something I think, nothing against Apple but this model is definitely flawed, maybe next time...
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd suggest it is coming from the media, both tech and non tech. When other phones have issues it rarely hits the news, but when it was the iPhone 4, it was in the running order on all news channels. Not helped by Apples publicity disaster at the start with the don't hold it that way, granted.

Apple cant have it both ways, there are stories about people queueing for iphones on release which in turn encourages the must have mentality of the sheep.

Live by the sword........
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family