PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    t14cy_t wrote: »
    one of the ways to make loo rolls last longer is to keep them warm
    Sorry to be thick but how does this make them last longer?
    Then I nabbed the kitty from the bed he was sleeping on and popped him on my lap. Instant warmth
    I do the same with the baby (stick her on my chest as she sleeps). I enjoy being close.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Always store wet wipes upside down - they will always be moist.

Absolutely loving this site - currently ploughing through all the posts, not watched TV for 2 days!:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Sorry to be thick but how does this make them last longer?.

I guess if they are warmer they will fluff out a bit, and as for flattening them its surprising just by doing that (especially with small children around ) they won't put a mile of roll off at one go.

I used to slightly flatten my loo rolls when my children lived at home or we would be going through far too many as they seemed to pull yards off at a time :):):)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Relevant at this time of year if you're making marmalade from fresh season's Seville oranges. They will freeze better if you wrap them individually in cling dilm. But until you're ready to make the marmalade store the peel from any oranges you eat as fresh fruit wrapped in the fridge. You can add this chopped peel to your marmalade mix and it will give you a lovely thick marmalade extra full of peel for those who like their marmalade really chunky.
  • JackieO wrote: »

I used to slightly flatten my loo rolls when my children lived at home or we would be going through far too many as they seemed to pull yards off at a time :):):)

I still do this with no children living in the house. it's just gotten to be a habit every time I replace the loo roll, doubt I could stop myself if I tried. :D
  • FunBrum wrote: »
    I was on YouTube looking for frugal tips a while back, and a women took her own teeth out to save money. Now that's just nuts!!:eek:

That is nuts. What's the logic behind it? No dental bills? Something else?

I always cut my toothpaste tube when it's "finished", and that gives us a few more days. Although it isn't really, because I've already paid for it, but it feels like getting toothpaste for free.
    2016 MFW no. 47 £0/£3,000
    MFiT T4 no 26 Start bal £149,294, Current bal £149,294, Target bal £134,294
    Make £2,016 in 2016 £1180.55
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    I guess if they are warmer they will fluff out a bit
    The flattening out is the oldest MSE trick in the book (although don't do it myself) but am not convinced about the warming bit. My bathroom surfaces are always plagued by dust, it took me a while to realise it's all down to the Andrex / Double Velvet - sheds like hell!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • FunBrum
    FunBrum Posts: 716
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That is nuts. What's the logic behind it? No dental bills? Something else?

I always cut my toothpaste tube when it's "finished", and that gives us a few more days. Although it isn't really, because I've already paid for it, but it feels like getting toothpaste for free.

I think it was to save money! So dangerous! Some of the 'extreme cheapskates' we're disgraceful. Now I like to save the pennies like the next person, but you have to take care of your health and I would never do anything that would jeopardise it.
    Living a frugal retirement without treading on the planet :T
    Womble #17- £2,018.41 €2
    TURTLES NSD's 01/31
    FLC £3000/£2,328.12
    CCCC2016 #10 £19 monthly spends on clothes
    Wombled nectar points=728 Wombled Boots points=316
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The flattening out is the oldest MSE trick in the book (although don't do it myself) but am not convinced about the warming bit. My bathroom surfaces are always plagued by dust, it took me a while to realise it's all down to the Andrex / Double Velvet - sheds like hell!

Those flipping loo rolls must be sneaking into my living room when I'm asleep, due to me frequently wondering whether I did dust the tv or not. :rotfl:
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Small tip which might be good for some, my workplace often allows for overnight stays. I did this for 6months and would always take the tea/coffee sachets I didn't use home with me.

Many of my colleagues don't do this and when they saw me using them from my lunch bag in the office have now started to bring them in for me :-)

Not everyone will have this luxury, but now I'm not staying away with work anymore it's good people knows not to waste them!!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback