How do I get Vodafone to write off my debt?

Due to various ongoing problems with Vodafone I terminated my contract with them in summer '16. As I was still in contract they charged me a termination fee of £139. I told them in person, over the phone, and on a 'chat window' that I wasn't going to pay this as I believed they were in breach of contract by failing to remedy the problem that I had little or no signal at home.
They passed my debt to Advantis Credit and when they approached me for payment I forwarded them transcripts of my conversation with Vodafone and they stopped collection activity so I assume that between them, Advantis and Vodafone considered the debt uncollectable.
I've not had any contact regarding the matter since but it's showing on my Clearscore report as a negative (your account is seriously in arrears).
How do I get this cleared from my name and improve my credit score please?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You would need to contact them and dispute the debt.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its not your credit score your improving, well maybe so but only you can see the score, what matters is your credit history which is what all lenders see.
  • I have disputed the debt and they just passed it to Advantis, then when I told Advantis that it was under dispute they stopped chasing me.
    I'm going to be going for a new fixed rate mortgage deal next year, will £139 old debt affect this? If so, I'll persue it with Vodafone, but otherwise I really don't think I can take the nightmare that is dealing with these people!

thanks
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As you have discovered not paying something on a point of principle often has repercussions. You should have grudgingly paid then fight for compensation through the correct channels. If the fee was stated in the t and c's then not sure you have a valid reason to now challenge.
  • OK, but assuming I don't have a time machine then what I should have done is irrelevant. I'm more interested in what to do now...
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Ask them for a deadlock letter (as you cannot come to an agreement) and then take it to the Ombudsman.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    scottiefan wrote: »
    I have disputed the debt and they just passed it to Advantis, then when I told Advantis that it was under dispute they stopped chasing me.
    I'm going to be going for a new fixed rate mortgage deal next year, will £139 old debt affect this? If so, I'll persue it with Vodafone, but otherwise I really don't think I can take the nightmare that is dealing with these people!

thanks

Most definitely it will, in fact you'd probably be rejected for obtaining a new deal so it's very important you sort this out ASAP.

Have you checked what the debt is showing as on your other reports?

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

How far into the contract were you before you cancelled?

Is it showing as a default on your Clearscore report?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • TBH, you jumped to the conclusion of stopping your contract and then not paying the remainder - it's in their T's and C's that should you stop your contract early you pay the remainder or a part fee thereof.

Coverage is not promised, especially indoors - they provide boosters and femtocells to alleviate this.

Also, ignore the score, you're never looking to improve that. Ever.
  • You might be surprised that from a legal and contractual point of view Vodafone and any other mobile network in the UK are not obliged to guarantee reception inside your property, many contractors standard wording specifically state this. Why would it be the fault of the supplier if the issue is at your end, i.e you have very thick walls etc.

You are given a cooling off period for this very reason.

It is possible to get an AIP with a default still showing, including from the major lenders, but that small debt will end up costing you 10x or more in extra interest over the 6 year period it will be there.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    scottiefan wrote: »
    OK, but assuming I don't have a time machine then what I should have done is irrelevant. I'm more interested in what to do now...

Not a lot you can do, the damage is done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure