The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    That's great news about the pension payout, but obviously it is bitter-sweet for you.

It must be daunting having to invest such a large amount. Whenever I have had a lump sum I have always paid of part of a mortgage with it so I don't know what I would do in your position.

| think you said you were going to see a financial adviser so hopefully they will be able to help.
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi SuezieSue yes it is daunting but I am paying an IFA so hopefully we can get a plan together with topping up my pension foremost.

Got email from m&s I haven't messed it up you call them afterwards to ask for the switch and that qualify you for the high interest savings account.

Down south all day had my haircut and got the rest of my Christmas shopping done which was good. Still feel rough and full of cold so quiet night tonight at hotel then staying with friend tomorrow while DG goes back and I go with her to the inquest on Monday.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Inquest was fine alcohol related death he felt no pain just slipped into a coma and died. Sad but closure now sent message to South Africa to my bil and fil we willl speak on Christmas Day.

Cheque arrived And banked straight away won't clear until 4/1 but doesn't matter. Christmas shopping all done giving the kids extra deserve it.

Suitcase packed and one more day left at work. So need a break now. Mums partner has been in hospital for two and half weeks so home now but can barely walk. Mum might not make it to my sisters for Christmas Eve which is a real shame but I'll go on my own if she doesn't and actually means I can stay longer.

Still got a cold going to he gym one last time tomorrow that's it for this year until I'm back.

Hope you're all ready for Christmas and New Year.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    edited 26 December 2016 at 1:40PM
    Merry Christmas all I hope you had a nice relaxing time. I did lovely time with my sister and her family sadly my mum couldn't come as her partner isn't well he is actually dying from COPD not good.

I got some nice present £100 towards a winter coat some fitness clothes, pjs and books plus a DVD of the Ryder cup.

DG is having a lovely time in New York I do miss her but it's nice to be with the family.

Registered to buy £50k worth of premium bonds I know MArtin Lewis s isn't that keen on them but I need something easily convertible if I wish to buy a property in a couple of years.

Spoke to sister about the Forrest across from her house it's 2.5 hectare her plot is 2 hectares. Old man doesnt want to sell (it did once belong to her property) but who knows if his heirs will they are nieces is all he has left. Bil reckons it will be worth £5k or £5.5k so I said I would keep some money aside to buy it for her. Would make her property more sellable and nicer to have the property in the middle even if there is a road running across it.

Lunch in a min then more chilling before hitting the shops tomorrow they are close today.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 30 December 2016 at 11:08AM
    Got a coat in the shops £40 off so with the £100 I had I only needed to add £60. Really nice and should last a good few years as it's really good quality.

The premium bonds have been bought really easy did it all online first draw in February won't be eligible for the 4/1/17.

Went to se my friend yesterday in her new house it was lovely also had lunch with dad and did some shopping on my own. Didn't find a lot I wanted only some wrapping paper 3 x 10 meter for £10 but when I got to the till it was 60% off so £4 bargain as I always wrap my presents when I get here.

Not done a lot my mums partner is really not well so she cannot go anywhere. Today we are visiting my uncle he is also on oxygen now but he is back home.

Signed up for the £12k in 2017 on the savings board hopefully that will motivate me miss old MFi3.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Last day heading back later lovely night last night mum and I cooking together and had a lovely three course meal also champers and Danish New Year cake made of marzipan. Her partner went to bed early so made the right choice staying here for New Year also less travelling today.

Been a great break saw both my uncles and spent loads of time with everyone. Much better choice than to go to New York with DG even if I do miss her it's been fine as I'm away too. She is not back until Tuesday so will be a bit sad tonight home alone but I'll do loads Monday like food shopping and gym so it will be fine. Her mum was upset she didn't get to see the ball drop on time square but there was 2 million people and you had to queue for 8 hours to get in and with her COPD it wasn't even worth attempting this. Nightmare even considering it I think it will be a while before we have xmas and New Year together.

I would like to set some goals for 2017 financial and personal. I'm going to get dressed now and spend some time with my mum. Catch up later.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 2 January 2017 at 9:48AM
    Right back at home time for some goals I worked out on the plane. Not got dates on them all will think about that. Also updated my signature and will try to do status once a month on achievements.

I'm going to buy a calendar today so I can cross out when I've been to the gym and also write weekends and holidays on. I know I use outlook but might motivate me to see the marks when I've done gym.

Going to the gym today and need to visit the shops nothing in the house and had to steal/borrow some milk as I forgot to buy some last night, also need to unpack didn't do it last night.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    edited 11 January 2017 at 8:53AM
    Financial
    Save £12k by 31/12
    - save £250 p/m rent money in M&S saver
    - Save £300 p/m in 1st Direct
    - Try to put £450 p/m away not sure into what p2p poss
    - rest stay in m&s account for tax, repairs etc.

Sort out a long term investment strategy with IFA 1/3
    - top up ISA
    - Top up pension
    - Decide best option for existing S&S ISA
    - Decide option for cash ISA (poss pot for for sisters woodland)
    - Premium bond wins for spend
    - Decide where to put maturing 1st direct account in Feb, set up new

Personal
    - continue to work out in gym, min twice a week if poss three times
    - Play golf at least once a week get out on the course once a month
    - Loose weight if poss about 5kilo
    - Enjoy my work and my Fridays off make them count
    - Continue to develop as a manager with mentoring & rest of leadership course

Holidays and family
    - Visit family in DK in April, July and Dec min
    - 1 Trip to Gambia Feb/Mar
    - Weekends away golfing with DG min two
    - Speak to a member of my family at least once a week
    - Continue to keep in touch with ex fil and visit him
    - Stay in touch with old friends back down South at least once every two months
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Your diary resonates with me as I've just invested in my first rental property that is my new MFW too. Hope things are going well! :)
  • TallGirl
    Hi Pawalala thanks for popping in.

So back at work not too bad just stuck at vlookup in excel but will be getting help from predecessor. Hopefully by Thursday.

So nice to have today off and even nicer to spend it with DG who's back quite jet lagged. Went out for pizza last night really nice but back in the gym and signed up with personal trainer.

Discussed holidays and weekends away we have three night golfing trip in early march anc my nephews confirmation end of April plus we want to go to Gambia in between or before. Problem is DG doesn't have the money for all of it which I knew especially since we re signed with PT. I think I'll end up paying for her to go to Denmark and possibly golf trip but we shall see I need a sunshine Holiday very soon.

Email from estate agent leak in airing cupboard and also in kitchen where boiler is I just know it's the pump but I also knew it needed changing. Estate agent is getting plumber in well trying my preferred choice but of not possible will use theirs. They don't charge extra for arranging it it's part of the package. Shouldn't be too much but if pump needs replacing it will obviously be more it's happened before but can't remember how much it was to repair.

Been whatsapping my sister and mum and will call my mum this week definitely I think she needs the support with her partner being so ill.

Made a mistake on my financial goals can only put £300 a month into saver so might need something else for the rest let's see how much the bill is first.

Chill out day today with musical tonight nice to do something London based as we do actually live here. Tomorrow work then off Friday bliss.

Need to call sencond pension and find out if they need final death certificate also check out new M&S paperwork don't think I need to do anyhing it does say in :money: email they have delays as deal so popular.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure