Dancing in the Rain

Comments

• JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Hi DIA, not stopped by in a while but wanted to comment. I think it's completely natural to feel the way you are - self sabotage is in us all whether we recognise it or not and just because you are debt free doesn't mean you have no excuses.

Here's how I see it:

Instead of losing the drive to not do something costly because you're paying off your debt, switch it round. Set goals, both short term and long term for savings. If you have your savings pots set up and you, say, want to redo your bathroom by February 2020 then that's another driver.

So, where before you'd decline because you don't want to affect your DFD, you can still decline but this time it's because you're edging ever closer to achieving your goal of a new bathroom by February 2020.

Particularly when it's something you really want or have really worked hard to achieve, i always find that drives me the most.

Also, you've been at this debt busting game for a while, so i think it's reasonable to be apprehensive about how things will be and what your attitude will be like once you're out the other side.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,816
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Great news on the gardener.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Oh if I had known I would have come and joined you.

The garden being tidy makes you feel better when you get home as it’s the first thing you see. People who know you won’t judge you on your home .

My home is rented , the flooring laminate is clean but needs replacing , I don’t worry, neither should you about immaterial things.
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    My name is beanie & I am also a sugar addict.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Hi DIA :hello:

I'm off to read your diary :D
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • I read about your cake and ended up making some :o
  • I am a diabetic sugar addict who eats emotionally. I totally get what you're saying about what happens when you don't have something to hide behind. For me, it's my weight. I feel that people can disregard me because I'm fat but can't properly tackle this as because then, if I fail, it's because I wasn't good enough or didn't try hard enough. How stupid is that?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • beanielou
    Ambassador
    I am a diabetic sugar addict who eats emotionally. I totally get what you're saying about what happens when you don't have something to hide behind. For me, it's my weight. I feel that people can disregard me because I'm fat but can't properly tackle this as because then, if I fail, it's because I wasn't good enough or didn't try hard enough. How stupid is that?

No it is not stupid.
    I feel useless as I cannot stop eating crap:o

• beanielou
    Ambassador
    I am sure you will have a good day tomorrow :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure