Barclaycard to PRA Group

Hi All,

I have had 2 credit cards with Barclaycard. I was struggling to pay them and agreed a reduced payment plan. Recently they shown these as a default on my credit file but backdated the default to when i first agreed the reduced payments. Meaning thedefault was only on my file a couple of months.

They have now transferred the debt to PRA group.

Firstly do i have to pay PRA group. If i do then fine i will pay them. If i don't and i contest my debt isn't with them, can they put another default on my credit file or a CCJ (which i havent had previously).

I have started to get daily calls from them and wanted to know what is the best way to deal with this.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If PRA are now collecting the debt, then yes, you should pay them.

They won't apply another default, as only one can be applied per debt. They could pursue a CCJ if they felt it was worth it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    PRA group should of written to you advising the debt has now been legally assigned to them.

They are now the legal owner of your account, with all rights and privilege of the original creditor.

As long as no dispute exists, then you should come to a payment arrangement with them, you can do this from there website without the need to speak to anyone, thay do tend to get legal if ignored for any length of time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for the help guys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport