Severn Trent metered water charges

teddysmum
teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 9 June 2017 at 4:26PM in Water bills
I understand how the costs will be worked out, except for the case of surface water.

ST's online brochure says that, if metered, you are charged pro rata (on the 89/90 rateable value) or pay a fixed amount (according to property type) for more recent properties .

Following the table of fixed rates for metered properties , there is a sentence saying that if charged for surface water according to rateable value, you can opt for the fix used for newer properties.

I rang ST to ask what my rv was and worked out that that the fix would save £21.25 per annum, so I said that I should change to a fix.

The lady said there are no details on my account, yet, as the meter was only fitted on Tuesday, but that going metered will automatically mean that my surface water is charged at the rate for a semi.

As I pointed out, this is contrary to the information on the webpage, but the lady insisted that this referred to the fact that people on unmetered supply can opt for their surface water charge to be based on type of property.

I then mentioned that, if this was the case, it would, surely, be at the end of the previous section, which gave details for unmetered promises.

She said the page was wrongly worded and all would be clear when they send my paperwork.

Of course it's not urgent ,but not knowing is niggling me , so could a Severn Trent customer, who has changed an older property to metered supply, clarify, please ? (ie is the general fix applied or do you have to ask to go from rv based ?)

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Firstly you should check if you need to pay any 'surface water' charges at all. You only pay that charge if any water from house roof/land enters the sewerage system. Plenty of threads on 'Surface Water Drainage'.

My house - in Severn Trent area - was built 1988 and had a high RV. I had a meter fitted in April 1990(in those days the houseowner paid for the meter). Initially I had no option but to pay 'surface water' based on the RV, but shortly after that date we had the option to pay that charge based on type of house, which was much cheaper.

So I think 'the lady' is correct that that an unmetered property, with RV based charges for surface water, can elect to have surface water charges based of property type.

The stupidity of the ST system is the 3 bands are Terraced/flat, semi, detached. So a huge Terraced property(like 10 Downing Street* with 150? rooms) pays much less than a 1 bed detached cottage.

* I do appreciate that 10 Downing Street is not in Severn Trent's Area!!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:50PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    Firstly you should check if you need to pay any 'surface water' charges at all. You only pay that charge if any water from house roof/land enters the sewerage system. Plenty of threads on 'Surface Water Drainage'.

My house - in Severn Trent area - was built 1988 and had a high RV. I had a meter fitted in April 1990(in those days the houseowner paid for the meter). Initially I had no option but to pay 'surface water' based on the RV, but shortly after that date we had the option to pay that charge based on type of house, which was much cheaper.

So I think 'the lady' is correct that that an unmetered property, with RV based charges for surface water, can elect to have surface water charges based of property type.

The stupidity of the ST system is the 3 bands are Terraced/flat, semi, detached. So a huge Terraced property(like 10 Downing Street* with 150? rooms) pays much less than a 1 bed detached cottage.

* I do appreciate that 10 Downing Street is not in Severn Trent's Area!!

The banding does say 'usually', so as they have records of RV ,they may realise that a certain terrace is enormous.

We certainly have down spouts going into grids so are eligible to pay and I know that you can opt for the fixed fee, but CS lady said that going to the fixed fee was automatic, which is not what the website implies.

I just looked on the website when 'chat' popped up. The lady I spoke to confirmed that the other person was correct (so the site is not) in saying that I will be automatically transferred to the cheaper property type based charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure