How are HomeServe still in business

Comments

• HomeServe_company_representative
    HomeServe_company_representative Posts: 114 Organisation Representative
    Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear of the delays surrounding your boiler repair. It’s never our intention to leave a Customer in this situation, so I’d like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you’ve experienced.

We’re genuinely committed to helping our Customers’ and would like to understand what has happened. Please email your details and we’ll pick this up right away, our details can be found on our profile page.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Alison
    Here To Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • reck_uk
    reck_uk Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 February 2017 at 9:24PM
    Another day another HomeServe letter through the post.

I notice on the letter they are now paying Reevoo for reviews. For those that don't know Reevoo make their money by posting customer reviews in return for their clients, like homeserve giving them money.

Of course this can't be impartial because no client is going to continue giving Reevoo money if they are not getting something positive out of it so it's in Reevoo interest to keep their clients happy.

If you want to see more honest feedback direct from customers look on the homeserve Facebook page where they current have an average of 2 out of 5 star rating. Of the 839 reviews 528 are 1 star

https://www.facebook.com/HomeserveUK/reviews/
    Hi there,

Thanks for your post. We understand that lots of people use social media to research a company, a service or a product before they decide to join or sign up.

Sites like Reevoo and Trustpilot are completely independent which is why we actively seek the honest opinions of our Customers using those platforms. We are also open in our responses to feedback on those sites. Whilst we encourage Customer reviews we have no influence over what they say, nor would we want to. All feedback is important to us, good and bad. You can see some independent reviews on Trustpilot https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.homeserve.com.

Should you like us to remove you from our mailing list or discuss any concerns, please email us to let us know. You will find our contact details on our profile page.

Kind regards,

Alison
    Here To Help Team
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    https://ftalphaville.ft.com/

HomeServe has bought majority stakes in two large home repair and improvement review sites.
    The emergency repairs business announced on Friday it has bought a 40 per cent stake in Checkatrade, a UK online review site, with an option to increase this to 75 per cent after two years. It has also invested in 70 per cent of Habitissimo, a Spanish review site, with an option to take full ownership after four years.
  • reck_uk
    reck_uk Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Allison,

Sorry I wasn't notified about your response until Brain posted.
    [FONT=&quot]Sites like Reevoo and Trustpilot are completely independent……[/FONT]
    Independent from what, homeserver? Of course but how impartial are they? How can you pay a review company and then expect impartial results, you can never be in this situation when money is changing hands.

As for Trustpilot they have been plagued by fake reviews for years. I don’t blame Trustpilot for this as it’s an almost impossible problem to fix. Amazon with all it’s might couldn’t find a solution to fake reviews on its site until they came up with their verified purchase system which has made their reviews a lot more reliable now. Trustpilot has no mechanism for verifying if someone has purchased an item or service so all reviews should be suspect as there’s no way to know what’s true and what’s fake.

If reviews are going via a 3rd party site there’s always a risk of something dodgy going on which is why I mentioned Facebook. Facebook make their money on ad’s so have no vested interest in the reviews left by their customers and because the reviews are posted directly via Facebook rather than by a reviews site you can be sure it’s not been meddled with. Unlike review sites you could also contact the reviewer and ask their opinion and you can see they are a real person and not just a made up name and an anonymous email address.

If a provider like yourself were generally good you’d expect the reviews to be generally good across the board, if they were bad you’d expect to be seeing generally bad review across the board. Why are we seeing such a discrepancy here?

Trustpilot:8.3/10
    Reevoo: 8.7/10

Facebook: 2/5

You can see some independent reviews on Trustpilot..
    Again no one is contesting your independence from trustpilot or reevoo and your right it’s important to remain independent from the review sites, which leads me onto the Financial Times article.

You mentioned about being independent to the review sites a couple of times but how do you explain Brian's post from the FT where Homeserve are buying large stakes in review sites?
  • Naied
    Naied Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi, just to let people know what homeserve are like. I'm at the present in a hotel. No thanks to homeserve.
    Well allow me to tell u this much. Don't join them
    I booked 3 time a yearly service with home serve.
    1st time they cancelled 2nd time the same thing 3rd time never showed up.
    Ok so in December 2016 my boiler was showing FL so I called them and an engineer came out after few days and said I needed a part so part was ordered and same engineer came and fitted it and said tat was it.
    Come 9days ago same FL and FH came up on boiler in which my hot water and heating wasn't working properly. Basically I didn't have either much.
    Called on Tuesday I think and engineer came on Friday. Spent 15mins and told me it was better to replace but will order parts. Then came the weekend which made it 4 days without heating and hot water. Come Monday engineer shows up abt 9.39 in the morning and starts to repair. He struggled to get to the parts and exercises to remove the boiler and change parts. He finished at about something. But guess what the boiler wasn't working at all completely dead. He informed my dad he cone what he can and there's some electrical problem and will get electrical engineer out to.look at it. Well he.left.
    I called their company who apparently sub contracted by home serve. Plumber wright.
    He never called back nor did homeserve, so I called the plumber wright and they said the pcb had gone. I got confused so I called homeserve. They said it's beyond repair so they will provide me a new boiler which hasn't been introduced in their new policy but I have to pay instalation fee. I got so upset. I asked homeserve how is it possible tat the boiler is dead when it want before. Well come Tuesday. Something smelling funny in the house, started getting headache and my family. Well on Thursday this week the smell got so bad I called national grid and they came and tested the air, boiler and gas meter, the reading ingredients was 15 GIA and the gas leak was coming from the boiler. So now no hot water no gas for cooking and no heating. I called homeserve furious with anger.it is nw 11days . They were not helpful. They put my family in danger another day and my house would be blown. So I demanded them to place us in hotel. Finally they gave hotel but wldnt provide food as I cannot cook at home due to gas capped. The complaints department still telling me that I shld pay for the installation even though they engineer put our.lives in danger and broke the PCB whilst putting in other parts.
    At the moment still nothing
    Come Monday back home and the engineers will come and give some gas for cooking but still no heating and hot water. And Tuesday another will come to examine the boiler. They still want.me to pay. By the way they had the audacity to send an engineer from the same company that nearly blew us up
    SO PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY DON'T CARE!!!!!
    Hi Naied,

Thank you for making us aware of the situation. First off let me say this is absolutely not our usual level of service and I'd like to apologise for the distress this has caused you.

Your safety is vitally important to us and we would never intentionally put you or your family at risk. We’re committed to offering a seamless Customer experience, from when you call us to make your claim right through to when our engineer visits your home. That’s why we’re keen to understand what happened on this occasion.

All of our engineers and contractors are HomeServe approved so that we can be sure that they offer the best possible Customer service, something we pride ourselves on. What you've described sounds out of the ordinary and we’re keen to address your concerns. In order to investigate this matter thoroughly we need some details from you. Please can you email your policy details to us? This will help us to locate your claim so we can start our investigation and hopefully help to get this matter resolved for you. You will find our contact details on our profile page.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Alison
    Here To Help Team
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 1:10AM
    Hi Homeserve Representative.

My parents have been sold various Homeserve products over the years - by their water company I think. Certainly the water company's name is emblazoned on two out of four of the current sets of documents.

I have just been astounded to find that they have been paying your company £430 a year, yet last year they discovered a slow leak or seepage from their hot water tank which apparently wasn't a claim.

They ended up paying the engineer £700+ cash for a new tank.

I don't trust review sites mainly because the internet provides far too much anonymity to be able to trust most sites irrespective of whether they use "trust" in their name, and in any event, there is no way of measuring the relevant qualification of a reviewer to make the judgement they make. On this type of product I far prefer to make my own informed judgements.

So can we discuss some basics please? Your kind of business with standardised off the shelf products lends itself to some pretty simple analysis techniques. I have looked through your policy wordings and conclude they were not designed with good value to the customer for their money foremost in mind.

I can see that Homeserve is not an underwriter. Homeserve is a middleman. You need not confirm. Your company's accounts already confirm as much. Homeserve takes on no material risk in the products it sells.

MSE is a website UK customers do trust. It is why you are here in an official capacity. It would be useful to a great number of MSE members and readers if you could give us some simple figures about your company which tell us what your company collects in total premiums for its UK insurance business and what gets paid out by underwriters in claims, please? I can see that in the financial year ended 31 March 2016, Homeserve netted for itself approximately £200M from the premiums it charged UK customers. That's rather a lot. I think I read somewhere that the 5 year deal with Aviva as of November 2015 was worth £1.3BN? I am guessing that would mean it yields £1.3BN net premiums to Aviva so approximately £260M a year or perhaps projections are more like Y1 £200M, Y2 £220M, Y3 £250M Y4 £290M and Y5 £340M?

To those of us who understand insurance, the claims amounts underwriters have to typically pay out in a period, and the premiums they can expect to receive are naturally the first two figures which need getting straight in an underwriter's head before deciding if the business looks profitable enough to get involved in. Insurance has never required rocket scientists, which is why it is has been staffed over generations by lesser types like me. Unfortunately in recent decades it has nevertheless attracted some lesser types whose main motivation is spotting opportunities to get rich quick without worrying too much about the morality of their offer.

From the numbers I can see in published accounts, it looks to me that of the premiums charged to UK Homeserve customers, perhaps a whole 50% goes to Homeserve (£200M in YE31.3.2016?) and perhaps £200M reached underwriters? So approximately £400M premiums were collected from customers? Is that right? If I have guessed about right, how much of Underwriters £200M in YE31.3.2016 got paid out in claims I wonder?

Clearly in 2015 Aviva asked Homeserve questions about what the Homeserve cut of premium would be and what the typical claims levels were before closing the 5 year deal to become Homeserve's main underwriter. I thought I heard that Aviva bought a share of Homeserve too? Can you confirm if they both own a chunk of you and underwrite most of your business? Might be interesting if they did, but no matter if they didn't.

If the business is extraordinarily profitable year-in / year-out both to underwriters, and (as it most obviously is) to those like Homeserve as middlemen who cream their less than well understood profits off the top as "net policy income" before passing a significant lesser "net" policy premium to underwriters, then clearly your products will be an extraordinarily bad deal for customers.

Have I got that right? Do Homeserve actually earn that £200M or has Homeserve just cornered it as a golden goose primarily from legacy sales to water company customers who never really understood what they'd been sold? We just don't know, do we? We can see you can write plenty of old flanel as you did to Naied but the best test of the quality of a scheme of standardised off the shelf annual insurance products like yours is what you take in premium from customers versus what is paid out in claims each year. Don't you agree?

Therefore please give us some numbers, and an indication please of how many claims are paid in full, and how many claims are declined at first notification and ultimately.

Aviva are the underwriter for £370 pa of the £430 pa total Homeserve premium charged to my parents.

However I see that some outfit named Ultimate Insurance Solutions Limited is referred to in at least one of your standard insurance products as an underwriter on behalf of a Gibraltar company and some unnamed others. Am I right in thinking that Ultimate is also not actually an underwriter but an intermediary, and that the Gibraltar operations referred to are not FCA or PRA regulated?

I can see Aviva probably now underwrites the lion's share of Homeserve UK business, but if that is so, then why are Homeserve messing about with small-time no-name underwriters from hard to pin down places to sell very basic personal accident (PA) type cover? Aviva has I think for some years sold a lot of PA cover through high street banks. Is Gibraltar a better known venue for buying PA? Or by using a circuitous route to named and unnamed ultimate risk carriers out there does that provide another interesting conduit for further extraordinary profits to be tapped off at various nodes in the food chain?
  • Very poor service. Absolutely disgraceful &a disgusting.

Called the company on a 45 mins wait each time I called the company till someone bothered to pick up. The service is absolutely horrid as I have a leakage broken pipe in my garden running since the past 4 days, damaging the property. Also which means I've to pay for the water that's leaking badly. Called someone and they said a plumber will be coming in on Tuesday 12-6, nobody came despite having tracing calls just to ensure someone is coming. Then, on Wednesday was told a plumber would be coming, again nobody from 12-6. Now they've said they'll come on Saturday if a plumber does not arrive now I hope ur business burns in hell. I'm absolutely fuming with anger already. Honestly, I want all my monthly payments reimbursed. Terrible service.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Like many here I had Homeswerve for about ten years for plumbing & drains having received the papers with my water bill. A couple of years ago they sent a pamphlet offering to fit a remote stopcock switch above the worktop.

This would have been ideal for me, as the internal stopcock here is seized, and the external one requires a particular spanner.

Finally the guy showed up to do the work, but had no spanner for the Thames Water meter stopcock! He said it was up to me to call them to get the water switched off!

I asked what would have happened in an emergency. Would they also have shown up with out a spanner, and required me to call Thames Water? He confirmed that would be the case!

In view of that, the 'cover' seems pretty pointless, and I cancelled my policy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback