Increase in Probate fees in the Budget 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• troubleinparadise
    Options
    A similar problem exists with paying IHT. It is quite usual for executors to have to borrow this secured on the estate assets.

But that situation more often arises where there is an asset to sell - a newly bereaved spouse might now have to find a large sum (to them) of money when there are no disposable assets, just a high value property.

An older person who no longer has much income might have a worrying time sorting this out. I realise that complaining of hardship when there is a high value asset is a 'first world problem', but this is worrying people....
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can see the advertising of "over 50's insurance" having a new theme ..... "paying your funeral expenses AND your probate fees"
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    But that situation more often arises where there is an asset to sell - a newly bereaved spouse might now have to find a large sum (to them) of money when there are no disposable assets, just a high value property.

An older person who no longer has much income might have a worrying time sorting this out. I realise that complaining of hardship when there is a high value asset is a 'first world problem', but this is worrying people....

Their is a simple solution to that they just need to hold the property as joint tenants and on the first death probate will not be required.

In that situation probate is probably the least of their worries as they are not in a position to be able to afford day to day maintenance of the house. There a a couple of houses in my street that have owners who can no longer afford the upkeep of their home and they are both in a terrible state. Why people don't downsize and enjoy a more comfortable old age is beyond me.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

Which won't need probate.
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    Following on from the above post, will a house held as tenants in common force the need for probate?

I am aware that people are being advised to hold the ownership of a property as tenants in common rather than joint tenants to reduce their exposure to care home fees taking the entire value of a house.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Following on from the above post, will a house held as tenants in common force the need for probate?

I am aware that people are being advised to hold the ownership of a property as tenants in common rather than joint tenants to reduce their exposure to care home fees taking the entire value of a house.

I think with TIC the issue becomes that if you need probate for other reasons you have to include the relevent value of the house even though you don't need probate to deal with a property with more than one owner.
  • akwallhead
    Options
    An online petition has been created asking for the fee increases to be reconsidered. I am unable to post the link but it can be found on the Government Petitions website and is entitled "To reconsider the proposed significant and unreasonable increase in probate fees".

These increases are not supported by solicitors or organisations such as STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) or Solicitors for the Elderly who consider the increases nothing more than a form of taxation.

Please sign the petition and share it as much as you can.
  • sammyhammy
    sammyhammy Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Here is the link to the petition:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188175
  • silversue_2
    Options
    signed and shared. Get this OUT there everybody
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories