Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for your contribution. I am in London, and I know we have to have cyclists on the road (although it is no fun being stuck behind them) but i do despair one of the two one way streets I use, I have even started avoiding the road for fear of of someone on two wheels hurtling towards me the wrong way.

I am sure the first mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was going to introduce a registration scheme for cyclists, but if i remember right, this was too costly.

Blooming cyclists causing traffic jams again........:rotfl:
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    They're not "elite" they don't think they are anything special, they don't think they have more rights than you, they're just trying to get to work without being killed.

London commuting cyclists not elite?:D Plenty of academic research out there highlighting the typical demographic of the London commuting cyclist.

“cycling is disproportionately an activity of affluent, white men" - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2011)

“typically white, under 40, male, with medium to high household income.” - TfL

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2015/oct/12/why-are-london-cyclists-so-white-male-and-middle-class
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 7:26PM
    Johno100 wrote: »
    London commuting cyclists not elite?:D Plenty of academic research out there highlighting the typical demographic of the London commuting cyclist.

“cycling is disproportionately an activity of affluent, white men" - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2011)

“typically white, under 40, male, with medium to high household income.” - TfL

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2015/oct/12/why-are-london-cyclists-so-white-male-and-middle-class

And yet the abuse is usually along the lines of "you don't pay road tax" and "get a proper job so you can afford to buy a car".

In the UK, we measure a persons success and affluence by what they own and in particular what car they drive. You could a multi-millionare, but if your on a bike, your a peasant.

It's not the way everyone thinks, but enough people think that way to make it an issue.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I see we have diverted somewhat...... No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Only issue I saw was a cyclists from that Currier company, the company with cyclists riding with a large uncomfortable looking box on their back, with the description "kangaroo" over it. The rider was riding the correct way, and even in the "primary position" but I did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think trinidadone should be arrested for hate crime. I don't think we are too far off that happening.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening

I see an equal amount of cars driving the wrong way down a one way
    road on my cycle ride or drive in Central & SE London as I do cycles.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you were very close and think the box says "kangaroo" when the name is "Deliveroo" which is emblazed on the bag in large letters....should you be driving in the dark?

You know the company the cyclist is working for so if they genuinely had no lights on make a complaint to the company.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:45PM
    I see we have diverted somewhat...... No cyclists coming the wrong way on my way home this evening, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Only issue I saw was a cyclists from that Currier company, the company with cyclists riding with a large uncomfortable looking box on their back, with the description "kangaroo" over it. The rider was riding the correct way, and even in the "primary position" but I did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    I see you've failed to add anything useful. Why do you only want motorists views? Have you started this thread so that you can comment on your daily journey home? How exciting.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2016 at 8:17AM
    did not notice him until i was very close, as he had no front or rear lights, or reflectors. He wore dark clothing as well, all in black i think.
    Is this what you want to see?
    Deliveroo-driver-arrested.jpg

Maybe you should go to Specsavers. preferably on the bus.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2016 at 11:18AM
    Strider590 wrote: »
    And yet the abuse is usually along the lines of "you don't pay road tax" and "get a proper job so you can afford to buy a car".

I always find that one amusing. Does that mean they think anyone who has a zero road tax car has no right to be on the road? I might agree if it got rid of Toyota Prius drivers :)
    fred246 wrote: »
    I think trinidadone should be arrested for hate crime. I don't think we are too far off that happening.

I do find it very bizarre and worrying the amount of vitriol that is directed at cyclists by some motorists. I think it sums up their overall attitude to driving that they don't think anyone else should be using the roads other than them and are probably the prime road rage candidates.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure