Thomson Theft - charged twice for hotel

Options
So our honeymoon was not a success, and I already have a complaint in with Thomson about disgusting customer service on a 24 hour delay. but that's a separate issue.

What I need advice on is the fact I've been charged for our 2 week stay in a hotel. We have already paid the upfront package flights and accommodation with Thomson. But the hotel (without authorisation) have charged me £733 for our stay.(I gave them credit card on check in, as standard).

I have called the hotel who told me Thomson havent paid the bill. I have been waiting for 3 days for someone from Thomson to help me, Ive called everyday and I've got to wait 'for a callback from the senior team'.

What can I do? Credit card people have told me to put together a letter, which I've done, but don't seem that bothered. This is theft!! I did not authorise this payment, nor was I present when it went through. Help!!! who do I speak to next?
Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These things happen...

Do as the card company have said and put it in writing to them, and the money will be credited back to your card.

Equally, write to Thomson (these things cannot be done by telephone) but don't hold your breath waiting for an answer!
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I've sent a letter to the credit card company, and to Thomson.

I dont understand how these things can happen. Surely if Thomson hadn't paid we wouldnt have had a room? Or the hotel would have said something at the time?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    I have called the hotel who told me Thomson havent paid the bill. I have been waiting for 3 days for someone from Thomson to help me, Ive called everyday and I've got to wait 'for a callback from the senior team'.

Why is it Thomson theft? It should be hotel theft.

They probably haven't paid the bill. It would be unusual if they had. It's not like they pay individually for every hotel room. They pay as per the contract agreed between the tour op and the hotel. This is likely to be an agreed period of time after you've actually stayed there.

Even Lowcost beds had an agreement to pay 60 days after the customer had checked out.

Raise a Section 75 claim to get back the money back from the hotel, because it's them that have messed up.
  • rockm87
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    It is hotel theft. But then I have paid Thomson already for the room.

Thomson told me it's all paid in advance, so I only know by what they tell me.

I paid £430 for the room through Thomson as part of a package, but have been charged £733 by the hotel. So I dont want a refund from Thomson and be out of pocket from the rest.

I just dont know what to do next!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    rockm87 wrote: »

I paid £430 for the room through Thomson as part of a package, but have been charged £733 by the hotel. So I dont want a refund from Thomson and be out of pocket from the rest.

You've been told what to do in post 2
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2016 at 3:31PM
    Options

Confused. If it was part of a package how do you know what you paid Thomson for your room?

As has been said several times, raise a Section 75 claim against what the hotel charged you.
  • rockm87
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    I had a confirmation with everything I had paid for from Thomson, including accommodation breakdown.

I know I need to be patient, but I was just at a loss for how this could have happened.

I didnt want to have to pay off the money as it was unexpected. I'm sure you can understand.

Thanks for you help.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So our honeymoon was not a success, and I already have a complaint
    After this start I was hoping for some juicy details.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    After this start I was hoping for some juicy details.

The bad news is.... you can't use s75 to exchange a spouse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure