IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal - Letter of Claim

gazzwozz
gazzwozz Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 2 November 2016 at 5:07PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I have received a "Letter of Claim" from BW Legal for a "PCN" issued on in April 2011. I was not the driver of the car at the time and they issued a ticket claiming they parked without clearly displaying a ticket (this was actually false as they had a ticket, although this was not retained). I originally followed the community advice and ignored all correspondence and heard nothing until recent. I have been reading to find out what to do next and am a little lost in the sea of replies. Is there some sort of exemption relating due to POFA being 2012? Further more I was the Registered Keeper of the car, not my wife. Any advice or links to the best way to respond would be appreciated. Also if needed I can take photos of the letters, just not sure where/how to post.

Thanks

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You would be best reading all other recent BW Legal threads on here and pepipoo forum, it's been done to death with endless examples of replies and CRA and SRA complaints to stall this.

They are often pre-POFA (meaning you are not liable so do not tell them who potentially is!) so most cases are EXACTLY like yours, very often where the keeper wasn't driving. There is so much to copy, one link would not do justice to what you will find if you just search both forums for 'BW Legal'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • No need to get pictures of the letters, they'll be the same as we've seen dozens and dozens of times already. Just search around these forums to find many other threads of people in exactly the same situation. Follow the advice/activities shown in those threads. Whatever you do, DO NOT at any point even insinuate who the driver was. Their claim is utterly sunk, as they can only pursue the driver, they don't know who that was, and you're not going to be telling them.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:50AM
    gazzwozz wrote: »
    I have received a "Letter of Claim" from BW Legal for a "PCN" issued on in April 2011. *** was the driver of the car and they issued a ticket claiming she parked without clearly displaying a ticket (this was actually false as she had a ticket, although this was not retained). I originally followed the community advice and ignored all correspondence and heard nothing until recent. I have been reading to find out what to do next and am a little lost in the sea of replies. Is there some sort of exemption relating due to POFA being 2012? Further more I was the Registered Keeper of the car, not my wife. Any advice or links to the best way to respond would be appreciated. Also if needed I can take photos of the letters, just not sure where/how to post.

Thanks

The most important thing here is to tell us the threats they are making to scare you.
    As you will see on this forum, BWLegal are being investigated by the SRA for their conduct.

Let us know what they said and then you will probably be the next to complain to the SRA
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Complain to Theresa May, Sir Oliver Heald and your local MP that this is being dragged up 5 years after the event. BWL has issued hundreds (probably thousands) of similar fishing claims. Read this thread which provides the rationale and process to follow.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754

Do this in parallel, not instead of dealing with BWL as advised in the dozens of threads you'll be finding between here and PePiPoo.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=60
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • gazzwozz
    gazzwozz Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2016 at 5:10PM
    beamerguy wrote: »
    The most important thing here is to tell us the threats they are making to scare you.
    As you will see on this forum, BWLegal are being investigated by the SRA for their conduct.

Let us know what they said and then you will probably be the next to complain to the SRA

Thanks all for your responses. As regards the letter content:

We wrote to you recently advising that our client may shortly be instructing us to commence County Court proceedings against you for recovery of the above PCN and we also offered you a 40% discount. We are yet to receive payment and/or a response to our letter.

Claim Your 40% Credit Today
    You can still obtain your 40% discount against your PCN amount if you pay before [date]. If you take advantage of this offer, the revised amount you will pay is £114.00. This offer will expire by close of business on [date], so it is very important that you contact us before that date to take advantage of the offer and avoid County Court proceedings being issued against you.

Do It Online
    We appreciate that it may not always be convenient to call us, therefore why not review and take advantage of your discount offer online by visiting *BWL WEBSITE* and selecting the customer login option. Our customer portal provides you with the functionality to speak to us by webchat, complete your income and expenditure, make a payment or set up an affordable payment arrangement at your convenience.

What to do next
    It is important that you contact us no later than [date] to discuss the options available to you. We are here to assist you, but on expiry of the discount period on [date] the offer will be withdrawn and our client may then instruct us to commence County Court proceedings against you for the recovery of the above PCN thereafter.

Yours Faithfully

BW Legal
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 10 October 2016 at 5:29PM
    ''Claim Your 40% Credit Today''
    OMG.

That is not the wording of a competent solicitors' letter. How dare they do this to people 5 or 6 years later. This should not be allowed to be painted like some sort of bargain sale. The sum of £114 is till above the amount of the PCN and in any case the recipient of the letter is NOT liable as the keeper was not the driver.

Usual stuff.

Complain to the BPA and SRA as well as replying robustly saying why you cannot be legally held liable as you were not driving - see LoveNorfolk's BW Legal thread (and several others).

Also please see the Theresa May thread, as linked by Umkomaas, please do show Mrs May and your MP in writing, what is happening to people with the greed of this industry and their shady legal agents. Template complaint letter for MPs and Government is already written by the BMPA if you are short of time.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wonder if the 40% credit is to be used against the next parking ticket.:rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    gazzwozz wrote: »

Claim Your 40% Credit Today
    You can still obtain your 40% discount against your PCN amount if you pay before [date]. If you take advantage of this offer, the revised amount you will pay is £114.00. This offer will expire by close of business on [date], so it is very important that you contact us before that date to take advantage of the offer and avoid County Court proceedings being issued against you.

Such a shower they are. A desperate begging letter and their client MAY instruct them further.
    Even a kid would see through this sham

Who are they taking to court anyway ..... they know its pre POFA2012 ?????

They have been watching too much TV

"CLAIM YOUR 40% CREDIT THIS OFFER EXPIRES ON" ....???

Jokers to the extreme
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    almost as bad as an "early bird" discount
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Coupon-mad
    Indeed...those were the days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure