Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rogerblack wrote: »
    I have wondered what the legality is of getting a line of 4kWp panels placed on your roof, and going up next day to fix a line of mirrors to double insolation.

I can't see that adding a mirror (or lots of them) to the system would be any offence against the FIT scheme rules. Your panels would stay as installed and they'd still have the same theoretical maximum output (kWp).

However, you'd probably need planning permission for installing the mirrors which would presumably need to be even higher off the ground than the panels themselves and you'd probably want a pretty substantial structure to support them. Chances are you'd also need to make the mirrors moveable else they'd only be increasing light on panels for a short period each day.

If you really wanted to increase the amount of sunlight falling on a panel with mirrors you'd probably be best to fit the panels at a low level with a lot of mirrors surrounding them.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    That 5% increase, if it comes at little to no extra cost, is hugely significant, lifting generation by 33%(ish) from the same roof space.

Oh - I agree.
    It's just that I was questioning the economics.
    A 5% improvement means you have (for people buying on a per-watt basis) a 25% cost saving, assuming for the moment they're using normal silicon as they seem to be, and have no novelty in the panel, as again seems to be the case.

A 25% cost saving (probably less as it's going to be at least a somewhat more expensive process) has to beat makers in considerably lower cost environments.

I guess in principle the solar levy of 35% due to 'anti dumping' on solar might help if it's still in place when they launch.
  • The_Green_Hornet
    Options
    Sunny weather boosts solar panel generation, providing estimated 7.8% of UK electricity in daylight hours of solstice.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/23/uk-and-germany-break-solar-power-records

Britain and Germany have broken records for generating solar electricity in the last few weeks, according to new industry figures.

Germany generated over half its total electricity demand from solar for the first time ever on 9 June, and the UK, basking in the sunniest weather of the year during the longest days of the year, nearly doubled its 2013 peak solar power output at the solstice weekend.

France, Italy, Denmark and other countries are also believed to have generated record amounts in June.
  • Mattty
    Mattty Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2014 at 12:51PM
    Options
    mac2008 wrote: »
    http://www.weatherenergy.co.uk/home looks potentially interesting although not sure of its relationship to pvgis. Thoughts?

WeatherEnergy is a European funded project which uses the EPICES monitoring service to obtain irradiance data and daily & weekly “virtual” PV production points – there are 58 in the UK.

The irradiation data is supplied by the HELIOCLIM 3 satellite database; ground temperature data by Meteotest; and the model itself is based on an enhanced profile of the PV-SAT2 method.
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Britain and Germany have broken records for generating solar electricity in the last few weeks, according to new industry figures.

Germany generated over half its total electricity demand from solar for the first time ever on 9 June, and the UK, basking in the sunniest weather of the year during the longest days of the year, nearly doubled its 2013 peak solar power output at the solstice weekend.

France, Italy, Denmark and other countries are also believed to have generated record amounts in June.

Good find.

Can't be far away from a situation where we are generating "too much" in the sense that other sources need to start being switched off in the day.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know of a service - similar to http://solargis.info/ - which provides 15 minutely historical data for a specific spot - or an area.
    The above site does provide exactly what I want - but I need to buy information from a 100km square, for 150 euro. And that's a bit steep when I want a point.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A technical advance based on an edible salt used in the manufacture of tofu could revolutionise the production of future solar panels to make them less expensive, more flexible and easier to use than the current models seen on millions of roofs across Britain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/breakthrough-in-solar-panel-manufacture-promises-cheap-energy-within-a-decade-9563136.html
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting project and local to me :

http://www.cse.org.uk/news/view/1844

Promising 7% ROI
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts