'Should we starve the jobless back to work?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• marko2002
    marko2002 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm, not sure about the loan from the council, possibly not the same as a loan from the social fund so I couldn't say either way unfortunatley. If she is claiming carers allowance she is allowed to earn something like £100 per week before that benefit will be affected although if there is a claim for income support or incapacity benefit from her husband then those benefits would potentially be affected by her working. If she is not declaring this additional income, she would be in trouble unless there is no claim for income support or incapacity benefit but from what you say I reckon there's a chance she'll be getting all she can from the system. As you say she's already been reported, chances are someone has already looked into her case and believe me, if she was doing something she shouldn't be doing, she would know about it by now - chances are she's mouthing off for the sakes of it, either that or she's about to have a fall from a great height!.
  • gems2381
    gems2381 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    She wasn't declaring it, they are both claiming everything they can, they get a new car every 3 years on mobility (her husband is in a wheelchair for a bad back yet he manages to paint and decorate the house plus lay laminate flooring!).

When her father died she cleared out his flat, found his bank books and cleared his accounts of a couple of thousand pounds......none of which was done officially!

Yes she has been reported as I've reported her myself but for some reason she keeps getting away with it, hopefully she won't get away with it forever though. She told me was spotted coming out of a clients house but said she'd cut the old womans hair as a favour.....I think she already has her answers thought out for when she does get questioned.
    Trying to sort my life out, and I'm going to get there!
  • marko2002
    Options
    This does confuse me to be honest, if he's claiming DLA because he needs a wheelchair when he doesn't I don't understand how they've been able to fool their own Dr, an independant Dr for DLA and a hospital or occupational therapist to get a wheelchair, something just doesn't add up!. If they have been reported, usually an investigator will make plans to watch them over a period of time and it shouldn't be too difficult to spot he's obviously not in a wheelchair despite having one. As for her working, I thought she was in an actual shop, but from what you say she visits homes which is far more difficult to prove then. However, the fact remains if she's in receipt of carers allowance and hardly ever at home, this could contribute to a case against her. Also, to receive carers allowance, the person in receipt of DLA has to be on the middle rate care component meaning this person requires quite a bit of care, if she's constantly out and about it's obvious she isn't giving the care she is being paid for, or he doesn't need the care they are claiming he does, either way full medical reports from their Dr or consultant together with an investigator should see that claim thrown out with any luck. Thing with DLA (if I remember correctly) is that you are awarded it for a set period of time, after which a review takes place, so although you can ask for a review of DLA at any time, you can't be taken off it until the review date comes round, you never know it may be coming in which case they may be in for a surprise hopefully!.
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2010 at 11:27AM
    Options
    I put £75 but thought about putting £100.

My observations were that the "average" was somewhat more than this amount but clearly rent mortgages this sort of thing are a factor that can't so easily be reckoned up.

My point .. we had in the last few years an influx of foreign migrant workers from places such as Poland and these people were more than happy to work for wages at the minimum level or less.
    Now why doesn't this happen with people from Britain?

In short living costs.

What point is there taking a job a £100 per week if your rent is £100 per week?

The Poles and I know this as I have a friend who's had them in their block share a flat between up to 10 people. And their relative wage compared with the home country would at least 5 times more than it's worth here. eg £1 in england buys you a loaf of bread in Poland the same is 20p. So although they have to buy bread here it is done so very sparingly with the money being saved up for returning to home.

Starving the jobless won't work, all that will happen is that there will be more crime from muggings to builder cons this sort of stuff.

What the government needs to do is make work pay for low paid workers and I think that looking again at the housing benefit allowances and council tax concessions is the key.
  • gems2381
    Options
    marko2002 wrote: »
    This does confuse me to be honest, if he's claiming DLA because he needs a wheelchair when he doesn't I don't understand how they've been able to fool their own Dr, an independant Dr for DLA and a hospital or occupational therapist to get a wheelchair, something just doesn't add up!. If they have been reported, usually an investigator will make plans to watch them over a period of time and it shouldn't be too difficult to spot he's obviously not in a wheelchair despite having one. As for her working, I thought she was in an actual shop, but from what you say she visits homes which is far more difficult to prove then. However, the fact remains if she's in receipt of carers allowance and hardly ever at home, this could contribute to a case against her. Also, to receive carers allowance, the person in receipt of DLA has to be on the middle rate care component meaning this person requires quite a bit of care, if she's constantly out and about it's obvious she isn't giving the care she is being paid for, or he doesn't need the care they are claiming he does, either way full medical reports from their Dr or consultant together with an investigator should see that claim thrown out with any luck. Thing with DLA (if I remember correctly) is that you are awarded it for a set period of time, after which a review takes place, so although you can ask for a review of DLA at any time, you can't be taken off it until the review date comes round, you never know it may be coming in which case they may be in for a surprise hopefully!.

He does use his wheelchair both in and out of the house but he is able to not use it. When he decorated the house they put fabric to cover the windows in the front and backdoors so people couldn't see him painting the walls!

My sisters youngest child is 13 months now and we've recently had the bad news that he's probably going to be classed as disabled (he was born at 32 weeks and had a bleed in his brain we don't yet know the extent of the damage but he can't even roll over yet). My sister won't be able to go back to work full time due to hospital and physio appointments though she does clean on an evening while her partner looks after the kids. If (and fingers crossed this won't happen, we're all willing him to catch up and spending as much time doing his exercises with him as we can) he needs a wheelchair they may need to apply for a mobility car.

No she either went to them or they'd come to her and it was all cash. Hopefully you're right and they'll get what's coming to them!
  • antonia1
    antonia1 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think there is a clear distiction between career unemployed and those who are unemployed as a result of redundancy etc through no fault of their own. I agree that something needs to be done about career unemployed, but I don't think that targeting their children is the way forward! All sounds very Victorian to me, and I certainly don't approve of workhouses for children of parents who can't afford to pay for them.

My earlier estimates may have been a bit out on council tax and bills because I live in shared accommodation where bills are included. The £10 per week food budget is actually what I set myself as a target, and is doable for a single person who choses not to be fussy, especially with the help of the forums on this site. Admittedly that doesn't include toiletries, but my budget for those is only around £10 per month at most (Over a two-monthly period I buy shampoo once £5, deodorant once £2.50, toothpaste once £2.50, showergel twice £2each, leaving £6 for luxuries like Simple facial wipes!). As for clothes, I also personally don't feel I need a weekly clothing budget, I generally get clothes or high street vouchers from family for birthdays and Christmas. Certainly if I were relying on State funding, I would expect to only buy new clothes when old ones wore out, and the supermarkets do fantastic, fashionable ranges for so cheap now.

However, personally I literally could not afford to live on JSA. Being under 25 and therefore entitled to less JSA, I have yet to see how my living costs are less that a person a year older than me! As I am currently working and not expecting to be made redundant I have financial committments that I would not be able to stop if I were on JSA. This poll has made me seriously consider what would happen if I were made redundant and, basically, without the support of my family I would probably end up in serious financial trouble.

Final note: migrant workers cannot claim JSA until they have worked and paid tax for a set time, and as long as they are here legally, they get paid minimum wage. Indeed, one of the local farms employes migrant workers at £8/hour because the local people won't do such hard work and long hours for that amount of money. Remember, the farmer employed migrant workers because he couldn't get anyone else to do the work. It is simply not true that people can't have the jobs because the migrants have taken them, its that the local workers refused the jobs so they were offered to migrant workers.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • marko2002
    Options
    I was under the impression that there was already a system in place for the unemployed, or at least long term unemployed. Basically, if you're out of work, you sign on, receive benefits and are then expected to prove you have been looking for work - if you can't do this you're benefit either stops or is reduced considerably. What's going wrong then?. It's pretty obvious to me that too many people are now using the "I'm ill" card, anything from depression to sore backs, etc, etc. The trouble isn't necessarily with the benefits system, it's with the whole health care system for allowing this, Dr's seem all too quick now to sign a sick line for minor ailments - I remember years ago being stressed out slightly because of work, travelling the length and bridth of the country and wanted something to take the edge of my stress and the Dr asked how long I wanted a sick note for?! I hadn't even asked him for one!!!. I see more and more people with disability cars also, you know the type, jogging bottoms brigade with fat junior at the wheel, 19 and jobless because he's caring for his overweight mum or dad who smokes 40 a day and enjoy a sociable drink "now and again". The buck stops with the parents as I've always said it does, if kids are brought up surrounded by a benefits culture, they'll fall into it as well, why shouldn't they? They see the easy life their folks have so it's only natural they want a slice of it, Jim Royale doesn't have a look in!.
  • cymraegjag
    Options
    After over 30 years working I have been made redundant through no fault of my own. I am divorced, kids grown up and expected to survive on £64.30 a week. I have already filled in one jobseeking booklet even though I have only just signed on for the third time and spend all day looking for and applying for work. At 47 I don't even get a reply even though I have 30 years experience and a degree and will do any kind of work whatsoever. Are people now expecting that I should live on fresh air!!
  • cymraegjag
    Options
    Incidentally in addition I should state that I am registered disabled and currently recovering from breast cancer and yet still want to work. If anyone out there wants to give me a job I am even happy to move to where the work is. I don't think I can do any more than I am doing and it upsets me when all unemployed people are tarred with the same brush!
  • gems2381
    Options
    marko2002- you're right many kids brought up in that environment do turn out that way, though I know this isn't always the case.

The son from the family I've mentioned was about 19 and jobless so I got him an application form for the local McDonalds and his brother gave it to him while i was there. His mum saw it and her exact words were "Throw that in the bin, you're not working there!", I was gobsmacked that she saw her son who left school without a single qualification as being too good to work there. She even turned to my ex and said "well you wouldn't work there", so I piped up with "My sister worked for them for a couple of years" and this didn't go down well!
    He's had numerous jobs (lasts a couple of weeks), apprenticeships (quit these as he didn't get paid enough.....didn't see the bigger picture at all) and college places but he's quite happy to get up mid afternoon and play on his x-box till evening when he goes out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure