Naked wines - watch your bank account

Comments

• I have read with considerable dismay the problems people are having with Naked Wines. I received one of their vouchers via Amazon around Christmas time and thought I would give them a try. As someone has already mentioned, those like myself who are visually impaired are at particular risk of being ensnared without their full knowledge because we cannot read the small print.

I have had some wine from them but the quality is not at all good, especially the whites. Moreover, even thought I have changed the date the money was to be taken out of my bank account, on two occasions now they have actually taken money out on a different day without my permission. They have been unhelpful in their email responses. I have therefore cancelled my membership under the impression that all monies that on hold for me, currently £60 would be refunded at they stated in their original email when I joined.

I now discover, after reading several posts, that in fact they will claw back any cashback. This was never made clear at the outset and thus I believe this is infringing my statutory rights as a consumer. I have now written two stiff emails demanding that all monies be refunded by the close of business on Monday (I have taken into account that NatWest has had technical difficulties over the last few days with updating balances). I will update you on their response but if not satisfactory I will certainly take it further. Stick to reputable retailers where you pay upfront for everything rather than 'squirreling' away a set amount of money each month. It's not done for your convenience or interest. And anyway, Majestic wines probably offer better quality wines and a far larger range.

If anyone has had any success in reclaiming all their money not used for buying wine from Naked Wines i would be very interested to know.
  • I too fell foul of this nasty little trick when redeeming a voucher. I threatened them immediately with the Small Claims Court and Trading Standards and followed this up with a threat to visit their offices in person. I have now received the £20 back in my bank account although this took days rather than the ten seconds they took to take it out in the first place. This is my email to them today.

Olly/Emma/Lewis/Rowan –

I have had to wait up for a call and so checked my bank balance at midnight – and noted the £20 returned to my account – for which thank you. I have no further issues and if asked shall tell any inquirers that you returned my cash when I insisted that you did so. However, I am posting a copy of this email on a site that provides evidence of other people's similar problems with Naked Wines.

You need to realise that folk like me understand your business model. In effect, in response to a voucher, you kidnap £20 of the purchaser's money and in the ensuing negotiations expect to overwhelm him/her with flattery and apparently favourable offers to induce the potential 'Angel' to agree to membership. The membership may or may not be good value, but the average wine buyer does not have the nose to make a determination.

What is at the fringe of legality is the fact that you conceal the sign-up. I have an email from your Emma Blackman that claims she has "a screen shot which is where you would have selected the 'Yes' option". (Weasel wording; like 'squirrel away' for 'cash in advance'.) I sent my first email in 1984 (possibly before Emma was born (if she exists)) and have had access to the internet since 1993. I am recently retired from a thirty-five-year career installing information systems that required a detailed knowledge not only of the back-office but also of the detailed screen customer interface. I would no more have unwittingly ticked a box agreeing to be an Angel than Roger Federer would walk out on court at Wimbledon with a cricket bat instead of a tennis racket. I am in the business and know what I am doing.

You rely on your "clients" to be nice middle-class folks who might or might not make a fuss, and indeed might feel that £20 or £40 or £60 is an embarrassingly small amount of money to make a palaver about. But given the spread of your £40 vouchers this shall not always apply. I am happy to give a £20 tip to a waitress or to the cab driver who brings me home after midnight from my nearest railway station, but £20 taken by you without my knowledge riled me to a white fury. The money is not the issue: if your voucher had told me that there was £40 off, with a further £20 for sign-up, then I might have agreed – although one of the things that would have worried me is that your company is rumoured to be posting horrific losses and that if my advance payments were not put into escrow then I would lose everything – as the Farepack customers have done. But I strongly objected to it being done covertly, and no amount of protesting your innocence or blaming me for ticking a box that I didn't tick will exonerate you.

You will also eventually have problems with clients who are not nice and middle-class and who see the theft of £20 as an issue that threatens their credibility. For such people, no loss, however trivial, can been seen to be accommodated. You work at the margins of the law, and at the margins of the law there are people who do not see the law as their first redress. You are on dangerous ground and need to explain to your employees the risks that you are running.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    I too fell foul of this nasty little trick when redeeming a voucher. I threatened them immediately with the Small Claims Court and Trading Standards and followed this up with a threat to visit their offices in person. I have now received the £20 back in my bank account although this took days rather than the ten seconds they took to take it out in the first place. This is my email to them today.

Olly/Emma/Lewis/Rowan –

I have had to wait up for a call and so checked my bank balance at midnight – and noted the £20 returned to my account – for which thank you. I have no further issues and if asked shall tell any inquirers that you returned my cash when I insisted that you did so. However, I am posting a copy of this email on a site that provides evidence of other people's similar problems with Naked Wines.

You need to realise that folk like me understand your business model. In effect, in response to a voucher, you kidnap £20 of the purchaser's money and in the ensuing negotiations expect to overwhelm him/her with flattery and apparently favourable offers to induce the potential 'Angel' to agree to membership. The membership may or may not be good value, but the average wine buyer does not have the nose to make a determination.

What is at the fringe of legality is the fact that you conceal the sign-up. I have an email from your Emma Blackman that claims she has "a screen shot which is where you would have selected the 'Yes' option". (Weasel wording; like 'squirrel away' for 'cash in advance'.) I sent my first email in 1984 (possibly before Emma was born (if she exists)) and have had access to the internet since 1993. I am recently retired from a thirty-five-year career installing information systems that required a detailed knowledge not only of the back-office but also of the detailed screen customer interface. I would no more have unwittingly ticked a box agreeing to be an Angel than Roger Federer would walk out on court at Wimbledon with a cricket bat instead of a tennis racket. I am in the business and know what I am doing.

You rely on your "clients" to be nice middle-class folks who might or might not make a fuss, and indeed might feel that £20 or £40 or £60 is an embarrassingly small amount of money to make a palaver about. But given the spread of your £40 vouchers this shall not always apply. I am happy to give a £20 tip to a waitress or to the cab driver who brings me home after midnight from my nearest railway station, but £20 taken by you without my knowledge riled me to a white fury. The money is not the issue: if your voucher had told me that there was £40 off, with a further £20 for sign-up, then I might have agreed – although one of the things that would have worried me is that your company is rumoured to be posting horrific losses and that if my advance payments were not put into escrow then I would lose everything – as the Farepack customers have done. But I strongly objected to it being done covertly, and no amount of protesting your innocence or blaming me for ticking a box that I didn't tick will exonerate you.

You will also eventually have problems with clients who are not nice and middle-class and who see the theft of £20 as an issue that threatens their credibility. For such people, no loss, however trivial, can been seen to be accommodated. You work at the margins of the law, and at the margins of the law there are people who do not see the law as their first redress. You are on dangerous ground and need to explain to your employees the risks that you are running.

It's not theft. See here for a definition of theft http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 as despite your oh so many years of using the Internet, you clearly can't read things and missed the part where it says "cancel at any time and get your money back".
    Also you missed the part on *every* page for *every* bottle and *every* case of wine on their site, where it describes what an 'angel' is and that it involves a deposit into an account with them of £20 per month. You know, the part where it says 'Angel Price' as a blue clickable link which then if you click has info about the 'angel' scheme and a huge great green 'Tell Me More' link.
    This despite your having Internet access for the last 19 years (which incidentally is slightly less than I have, and I have never signed up for anything involving a recurring payment that I didn't want to...)
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    I too fell foul of this nasty little trick when redeeming a voucher. I threatened them immediately with the Small Claims Court and Trading Standards and followed this up with a threat to visit their offices in person. I have now received the £20 back in my bank account although this took days rather than the ten seconds they took to take it out in the first place.

Actually, what did they say when you made the first simple request to have your money back, under the terms of their angel scheme that are laid out and linked from every page of their website ? I assume they flat out refused to do this, as your statement seems to indicate, as surely no-one would have gone off on such a ridiculous crusade without making a simple request to have the money refunded first ?
  • xxJudexx
    xxJudexx Posts: 422 Forumite
    It's not a scam or a trick. I don't think the website could be much clearer if it tried. I used a £40 voucher about six months ago and had no problems. You just select the wine you want at the 'non-angel' price. I never enter my card details and pay for things without reading where my money is going.
  • santiago1
    santiago1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 9 July 2012 at 2:45PM
    Mr Rusty appears on the Drinks Business comments with the same message. Not quoting a personal customer experience, but a clear PR message about the company, very similar to what we see from Angels whenever there is press coverage inviting comments.
  • Charliezoo
    Charliezoo Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    I became a wine angel a few years back after using a voucher. I remember it being relatively clear what I was signing up to but it was still a bit confusing.

Back when I signed up it was only £5 a month which I though was affordable and I was told to expect exclusive invites, offers, etc. None of this ever materialised. I think I may have got free p&p once or twice but nothing else. The wine was nice but no better quality or value than what you can get in the supermarket. I was fixed to one vineyard owner and my money went towards his business and I got cashback when I bought wine from him which actually wasn't a bad deal but I was stuck buying his wine which was very limiting. After a couple of years I was told that I would need to start paying £20 a month to continue being an 'angel' and I would no longer be fixed to the one vineyard owner. I opted to stay paying £5 but seemed to lose my cashback on orders after that. I cancelled at this point because I just wasn't getting anything out of it.

I did quite like it to begin with but the cashback thing was confusing and I never got anything out of being an angel. I don't know if they've improved things since I left but I personally wouldn't bother with them again.
  • I'm disappointed to see so much confusion re. Naked Wines, I used a £40.00 voucher I received via Amazon or something and duly ordered my Case of wine. I did this all online and was asked to set up a £20.00 per month standing order, it was explained up front that this would happen and the money would be used to help small wine makers start producing.

I see Naked Wines as something like a co-operative (although I realise the owners will be making cash out of this as well) and the money I put away each month is held until I want to buy more wine.

I have been a Naked Wines Angel for about 18 months now and it gives me the opportunity to try different wines from all over the world, I even attended one of their Wine Tastings in Leeds this month which was a great opportunity to try different wines and I managed to make a note of a few that I will order in the future.

Yes, you do have to commit to putting £20.00 a month away towards wine but I always saw this as a chance to save up money during the year and order some different wines at Christmas or on my birthday.

Most of the wines are superior in quality to what you will buy in the Supermarkets and the prices are comparable. Naked Wines have now done away with the Cashback scheme and have an Angle price and a Non Angel price only.

I would recommend Naked Wines to friends and family and have done.
  • I was directed to this site by typing in "naked wines scam": it is interesting that the defenders of NW seem to have followed the same route.

I sent the email copied to this site on to Naked Wines, and copied it three separate email addresses given by Naked Wines and addressed it to four people: Olly; Lewis; Emma: and Rowan – who had variously sent me emails. Emma Blackman emailed me today (16 July) – ten days later – to tell me that they had not had a response to her email of 4 July to which mine of 6 July was a response. My email of 6 July copied to this site mentioned Emma Blackman by name. I said that I did not wish to receive any more emails from them, but later this evening I received yet another from someone calling himself "Rowan".

Naked Wines do not need to recruit any more of their employees and associates to post on this forum. Naked Wines (at best) offer a user experience deliberately designed to be confusing,and at worst a fraudulent scam. Their remedy is to issue against me a High Court writ for libel: my user name is my real name and to the best of my knowledge and belief there is only one of me in the world.
  • I don't think it's a scam. I've been an "angel" since the beginning of 2009. I quite like saving up my £20s per month until I've got enough for a case of wine and enjoy choosing it. It's no different from any other form of saving really - it's not like I'd be getting 10% interest if the money was in my bank. I understood what I was signing up for. The wines are generally good and sometimes really good, the delivery is fast and I see it as just a fun way of buying wine, better than going to the supermarket anyway. Yeah, I know they're not the cheapest wines in the world but that's my choice - it's nice to take a bottle of wine to a dinner party that doesn't have Tesco or Sainsbury's splashed all over it.
    And no, I don't work for them and I'm not a relation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback