Ideas for a second income.....

Sheep
Sheep Posts: 219 Forumite
edited 4 April 2017 at 3:05PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello,

We are all here to try and reduce our debts and would like to throw as much money at is as possible.

I currently am on a salary amd therefore overtime isnt an option for me which I find really frustrating. I work in a call centre so doing what I do through the day but self employed isnt an option.

Does anyone have any hints or tips they could share for a second income? I was thinking of becoming an Uber driver in my spare time. I work every Saturday and coach kids football on a sunday so its probably going to have to be evening work.

Man this is hard.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Exerbusi2
    Exerbusi2 Posts: 232 Forumite
    Start by selling on eBay or those Facebook buy and sell groups.

Do you have the ability to make anything? If so, you can sell that.

Is there a pub you could work in once or twice per week?

You coach football - are there any paid positions coaching part time?
    Loan [STRIKE]£5000[/STRIKE] £0; Overdraft [STRIKE] £700[/STRIKE] £0
    Savings [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£1500; Share Portfolio [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£4000
    £0 Credit Card [STRIKE]£6800[/STRIKE] £1700
  • alianza
    alianza Posts: 28 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    What is your level of education? Exam boards are often looking for markers with relevant degrees. Its all done online these days marking scanned images on screen. Can easily do whilst sat on sofa. I earn up to £2-3k every June/July marking GCSE Chemistry and A level Chemistry in the evenings after work.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Even on a salary, you should still be paid for overtime - Your salary is for your contracted hours - overtime are not your contracted hours.

Anything in the local supermarket - they often advertise for 8hrs a week, bar/pub work, restaurant, ironing, cleaning, carer at a home or in the community - they are often 0 hr contracts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • A brilliant question, and I shall look forward to ideas as well. I'm self employed, have a bricks & mortar shop and sales are really dire at the moment. I also do eBay and Amazon, which helps. But I'm always trying to think of other avenues!
  • Apparently call centre work isn't very well paid .
    Why not look for a higher paid admin job in an office ?
    You may even get given occasional overtime , should you find a role that suits.
    The old saying is , you can get a job, when you're in a job
    (Something like that :) )
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Of course you can "earn" extra money by being savvy with your finances and spending. Things like spreading your accounts to get rewards. Maximising interest where possible on your savings. Spending on cashback or reward cards. Utilising cashback sites. Brand switching. Make do and mend. Turning down the heating. Turning lights off whilst watching TV.
    Then there are things like Swagbucks (though can be time consuming) but can be done at home, mystery shopping.

Of course looking for another job is a good idea too, though I understand it can be daunting particularly as you don't want to go and fail. Though the real chance is you won't.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • freeisgood
    freeisgood Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March 2017 at 9:08PM
    Have a look on the "up your income" board, for ideas. Can you take a lodger in? Pizza delivery/dog walking evenings? A lodger is a good idea as it does not involve extra work from you.
  • Startup1985
    Startup1985 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Set yourself a good few hours aside and read up about matched betting. In my first month I made over £800 which took around 30 mins "work" a day. Many make more than this though.
    I will say though, that if you are a gambler or recovering please ignore this post as temptation will make this no risk second income into a total nightmare.
  • Sheep
    Sheep Posts: 219 Forumite
    Sorry just to clarify I am a manager in a call centre which pays good money (37k) so just changing jobs isnt an option.

It was more a question to help everyone bounce ideas. I actually used to deliver pizzas on Sat and Sunday nights which really helped me with a second income but i wasnt seeing my wife and children so after 2 years I had to give it up.

Was thinking of joining Uber and becoming a 'taxi' in my spare time.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2017 at 5:19PM
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Even on a salary, you should still be paid for overtime - Your salary is for your contracted hours - overtime are not your contracted hours.

Not necessarily. My current contract says this, after detailing normal working hours, and previous ones have contained variations of the following:

"You may also be required to work additional hours from time to time in accordance with the reasonable demands of the Company and needs of the business. There is no extra payment made for these additional hours."

Furthermore, sticking too militantly to the approach you outline above may prove career limiting in many cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure