I Disputed a debit card transaction and I've been told I've lost the dispute

13»

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 7:56PM
    So instead of using the ATM of a normal Spanish bank you just happen to use the ATM of an little known Spanish bank with an English language website offering Euro and Private Banking accounts to foreigners. I really wonder what made you select this particular ATM.
    The timescale of what has happened appears very short to me. I would have expected it to take much longer for this Spanish bank to get back to your bank to say everything balanced.
    So your witnesses are your Grandfather, your Fiance and your children?
    I am also curious as to how your Mother, presumably in the UK, transferred the funds that she had agreed to lend you to enable your holiday to 'proceed as normal' and why your Grandfather or Fiance were unable to help you out with any cash.
    You say that as a result of this you are now unable to feed your children or pay the Electricity bill. Seriously, if your financial situation is such as this, should you really have spent all that money on a foreign holiday that you obviously could not afford.? Could you Mother, or perhaps your Fiance or Grandfather, lend you some money for food and Electricity?
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    dggar wrote: »
    I find a daily limit of £300 is perfectly adequate for my needs, but thanks for your concern.

To be honest mate I'd be lucky if I ever have £500 in there that I could draw either. :beer:

I don't really care where you bank or what the limit is.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lozzy81 wrote: »
    Lloyds and Halfiax are not part of RBS, I don't know if Lloyds is still with the hbos group?

A complaint to the bank is the best place to start with the facts laid out as above, banks hate complaints!
    Really? When did that happen?

I thought RBS, Lloyds and Halifax were all merged into the HBOS group back in 2009 when one of the banks originally went down. I know one of the banks owns the others, I don't know. I'm probably wrong looking at these responses, but it's not something I've solely studied to be honest
  • Ben8282 wrote: »
    So instead of using the ATM of a normal Spanish bank you just happen to use the ATM of an little known Spanish bank with an English language website offering Euro and Private Banking accounts to foreigners. I really wonder what made you select this particular ATM.

Am I an expert in foreign banks? No. I used the closest one from the taxi rank. They are everywhere across the canaries. How condescending can you be, really?
    The timescale of what has happened appears very short to me. I would have expected it to take much longer for this Spanish bank to get back to your bank to say everything balanced.
    So your witnesses are your Grandfather, your Fiance and your children?
    I am also curious as to how your Mother, presumably in the UK, transferred the funds that she had agreed to lend you to enable your holiday to 'proceed as normal' and why your Grandfather or Fiance were unable to help you out with any cash.
    As for transferring the funds, there's this thing called online banking, you should check it out sometime. Saves a lot of hassle. My grandfather helping us out, does it relate to what's happened here??
    You say that as a result of this you are now unable to feed your children or pay the Electricity bill. Seriously, if your financial situation is such as this, should you really have spent all that money on a foreign holiday that you obviously could not afford.? Could you Mother, or perhaps your Fiance or Grandfather, lend you some money for food and Electricity?
    We saved all year for the holiday, what I do with my money is no concern of yours. Wind your neck in and get off that high horse. This was our first holiday as a family and I'm entitled to do whatever I want with my money. I was never prepared for any of this happening, hence the mess this has left me in. Hell I had no idea this could happen. Didn't you feature in South Park once? Ah! That's it, you're Captain Hindsight!

Seriously, If you have no useful advice, then I'd prefer if you didn't contribute.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I thought RBS, Lloyds and Halifax were all merged into the HBOS group back in 2009 when one of the banks originally went down.
    You are confusing the Royal Bank of Scotland with the Bank of Scotland.

Lloyds got never merged into the HBOS group - Lloyds Banking Group owns HBOS, alongside Lloyds Bank and other financial institutions.
  • Ben8282 wrote: »

So much negativity to OP, it's not called for given the additional facts were given as requested. And for your information, Banca March is not a random no-brand ATM in a corner shop, they have been running since 1926, have €12 billion in assets and came out top in Tier 1 Ratio of the European stress tests in 2010. That's top of Europe, not just Spain to clarify.

As others have said, OP should complain and make sure they have all the details as you described to us.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    HBOS is/was just a holding company - it was never a bank itself.
    Halifax and various other smaller companies were all merged into BOS prior to LBG.
    colsten wrote: »
    You are confusing the Royal Bank of Scotland with the Bank of Scotland.

Lloyds got never merged into the HBOS group - Lloyds Banking Group owns HBOS, alongside Lloyds Bank and other financial institutions.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    HBOS is/was just a holding company - it was never a bank itself.
    Halifax and various other smaller companies were all merged into BOS prior to LBG.

At the time of the hbos merger Halifax was approximately twice the size of bank of Scotland by market cap.
  • bigadaj wrote: »
    At the time of the hbos merger Halifax was approximately twice the size of bank of Scotland by market cap.
    This is true.

The idea of bringing Halifax, IF and Birmingham Midshires under the BOS banking licence was to save money by not needing to meet regulatory requirements for a formal board of directors for each banking licence. I believe the amount saved was c£1m a year.

While Halifax was by far the biggest entity at the time, the decision to retain the BOS banking licence and let the others lapse was the advert in every Scotsman's wallet - the printing of Scottish bank notes by the group would have ceased if they'd chosen a different brand's banking licence.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This is true.

The idea of bringing Halifax, IF and Birmingham Midshires under the BOS banking licence was to save money by not needing to meet regulatory requirements for a formal board of directors for each banking licence. I believe the amount saved was c£1m a year.

While Halifax was by far the biggest entity at the time, the decision to retain the BOS banking licence and let the others lapse was the advert in every Scotsman's wallet - the printing of Scottish bank notes by the group would have ceased if they'd chosen a different brand's banking licence.

Yea and it all went so well, like that other reverse takeover with rbs and natwest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure