PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    NSD here

To be honest felt like pants all day post halloween party head ;)

Nearly cancelled the party due to cost, but friends were great and pitched in.

On Thursday, I went to Ald! For a few bits not in GC budget, used my £5 off a £40 spend, I had another, as I,d bought 2 papers, lady behind me was genuinely shocked when I offered her the other one - I was almost embarressed at her gratitude - was no skin off my nose, the voucher ran out that day, and I,d bought what I needed to - bless her:D

Made a huge vat of SC chilli with Mr L,s £1 mince, Ald,s 69p onions and peppers, their cheap passata etc

Also made bread with AF cheapo bread flour, and nigella brownies using Mr S 30p choc x 4 and eggs donated by a friend, with all the other bits, I spent less than £20 for tonnes of food for 20 people - bargin:rotfl:

Even managed to make dinner today, HM rubber chicken pie from freezer, frozen veg and left over baked spuds, scooped out and made into mash - with my thick head, it was a miracle:cool:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • I switched my tesco club card to a Christmas only one, and have saved up £10.50 in points. Frustrated that these have all arrived as £2 or £1.50 vouchers, so not a single one I can double up!

Will be doing my first food shop of the month tomorrow. Food list prepared!
  • First NSD of the challenge so far. Hoping for alot more.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • I switched my tesco club card to a Christmas only one, and have saved up £10.50 in points. Frustrated that these have all arrived as £2 or £1.50 vouchers, so not a single one I can double up!
    !

I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure you can hand them all in and double up, and the 50p thats left over will be added to next years points. I'm sure my mother did that last year (sorry if i'm wrong)

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Hi all, I need to get control of house hold spending as I am about to be a self employed child minder. I don't really know what we spend so my target will be moveable as I see what we spend but I am hoping for a family of 4 plus 10 pets and 2 mindees to feed I would like to come in under £400 but over time want this to be a lot less than this xx
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    NSD here

To be honest felt like pants all day post halloween party head ;)

Nearly cancelled the party due to cost, but friends were great and pitched in.

On Thursday, I went to Ald! For a few bits not in GC budget, used my £5 off a £40 spend, I had another, as I,d bought 2 papers, lady behind me was genuinely shocked when I offered her the other one - I was almost embarressed at her gratitude - was no skin off my nose, the voucher ran out that day, and I,d bought what I needed to - bless her:D

Made a huge vat of SC chilli with Mr L,s £1 mince, Ald,s 69p onions and peppers, their cheap passata etc

Also made bread with AF cheapo bread flour, and nigella brownies using Mr S 30p choc x 4 and eggs donated by a friend, with all the other bits, I spent less than £20 for tonnes of food for 20 people - bargin:rotfl:

Even managed to make dinner today, HM rubber chicken pie from freezer, frozen veg and left over baked spuds, scooped out and made into mash - with my thick head, it was a miracle:cool:[/QUOTE

Sorry about your head but it sounds like it was worth it, I am so impressed at how little you spent on the party food, well done.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72 wrote: »
    Was absolutely stunned to see woman in front of me pay 10.74 for 6 packs of microwave baked potatoes, 2 in a pack, 400grms, that was 89p a potato, and a not very big one at that, total 2400 grams, less than a standard 2.5 killo bag which I can get on our local market for 1.00;

That mark up is just ridiculous. I have been tempted to buy a pack though (on good offer), as they do look nice and crispy on the pack, and I want to see how they get them crispy in the microwave (I'm assuming they're already oven-baked).
    I might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure you can hand them all in and double up, and the 50p thats left over will be added to next years points. I'm sure my mother did that last year (sorry if i'm wrong)

I don't know, when they first started this initiative a few years ago, I was told the voucher had to be for £5 minimum, and it wouldn't work with e.g. 2x£2 and 1x£1. I will definitely go in and ask - this was a few years ago now and it might have changed since then!
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This is my last October GC day but I was lonely over on the old thread. Need to sort out my sig.
    Dinner was lamb steak + roast potatoes, parsnip + brocolli, brussel sprouts, leek, + stuffing ball + gravy.
    Sundaysdinner_zps07792e34.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • Islandmaid wrote: »

Awwww that's so kind of you :)

Spent £9.56 in B**ts on Saturday stocking up the medicine cabinet, including 16 cold and flu tablets for £1.99 - does anyone know where to get them any cheaper? I was hoping Ald! would have them better value, but couldn't see any.

Made homemade pizza tonight - it was minimal effort as I did the dough in the BM, and topped it with cheese and mushrooms which I'd grated/sliced in bulk and frozen :D little bit of tomato paste, some mixed herbs, chopped peppers and ham, delicious!
    November GC: £50.55/£130. October GC: £72.60/£150
    September GC: £131.27/£170. July GC: £62.48/£80. May GC: £135.00/£150
    April GC: £201.91/£140. March GC: £194.98/£200. January GC: £111.41/£200.
    December GC: £67.45/£80. Nov GC: £159.32/£220. October GC: £208.07/£250.
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    NSD #2
    I have a bowl of windfalls that need sorting so tomorrow will be peeling, cooking and freezing them before they go off.
    Have also taken out some nice and am thinking spag bol tomorrow as have mushrooms, onions and celery in.

Meg - those potatoes really made me think how some people spend their money
    Florenceem - your lamb steak meal looks right up my street - any left? if so will be around.
    Emmad5689 - good luck
    MARCH £62.38/250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family