Focus group - is this a scam???

I've received FIVE identical emails within the space of half an hour, from a company called Focus Pointe Global and/or Fieldfacts.com. They are offering quite a lot of money for a focus group, although they want a lot in return (in my opinion). Four hours online and then two and a half hours being interviewed in your home.

I'm suspicious because I received so many identical emails all close together, and I don't recognise the company name, but then again I've registered with all sorts of companies that get mentioned on here.

Just wondered if anyone else had got these emails and if you are also suspicious?

Comments

• OK, just checked, I did register with Field Facts Worldwide back in August - so I must have got the details from this forum. Just seems odd to me that they would send out multiple emails like that.

I'd still like to know if anyone has experience of this company.
  • Hoop-la
    Hoop-la Posts: 33 Forumite
    OK, just checked, I did register with Field Facts Worldwide back in August - so I must have got the details from this forum. Just seems odd to me that they would send out multiple emails like that.

I'd still like to know if anyone has experience of this company.

I have done a focus group at their London offices and got paid cash on the day.

I am also on their mailing list but have not seen this particular email, but it does seem odd that you have got 5 copies. I'd be a bit suspicious.
  • Thanks. I am slightly less suspicious now that I realise I did register with them and they haven't just plucked my email address from a spamming list! But I did think 5 emails was odd, and also the fact that there is a sentence in the email assuring me that they are legit... Well that's a red warning light straight away!!!
  • bexifer
    bexifer Posts: 70 Forumite
    Hi Scaredy Cat,

I've attended a Global focus group in London and Birmingham as found it really enjoyable. I was paid £45 for talking about beer for 90 minutes, and £50 for talking about fast food.

So, for me to have been paid for discussin two of my favourite passtimes, I think it's well worth doing :p

All the best,

Bexifer
    My Mind Not Only Wanders..... Sometimes I Lose It Completely.....
  • Having previoulsy worked in market research and managed the team responsible for focus groups I would not think that just because you got 5 e-mails it is not legit.

We had things like this happen somethimes, most of the time there is only x number of people being invited and I myslef have sent invites twice by mistake etc..

Generally it is all done manually so it could be simple human error.

I belive they are a legit company
  • Before I registered with Focus Pointe Global, I should have listened to posters on a couple of other websites that said that this company is a sham and that they scam you instead of helping you make money. I have completed over 30 "screener" surveys to see if I qualify for a paid survey.

Each and every time I've been rejected, but what I've noticed is that the information I've submitted on the "screener" surveys IS the actual information that companies want, and Focus Pointe turns around and sells my answers to their client companies, making Focus Pointe tons of money while I and other survey participants get nothing. Don't fall for this scam, as it is making Focus Pointe --focusgroup D0T com-- a ton of $$ at the expense of people who willingly answer their questions.
    I've received FIVE identical emails within the space of half an hour, from a company called Focus Pointe Global and/or Fieldfacts.com. They are offering quite a lot of money for a focus group, although they want a lot in return (in my opinion). Four hours online and then two and a half hours being interviewed in your home.

I'm suspicious because I received so many identical emails all close together, and I don't recognise the company name, but then again I've registered with all sorts of companies that get mentioned on here.

Just wondered if anyone else had got these emails and if you are also suspicious?
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2012 at 12:06AM
    Congratulations on resurrecting a 3 year old thread

I see you only joined to warn of this potential scam. Well done to you
    Before I registered with Focus Pointe Global, I should have listened to posters on a couple of other websites that said that this company is a sham and that they scam you instead of helping you make money. I have completed over 30 "screener" surveys to see if I qualify for a paid survey.

Each and every time I've been rejected, but what I've noticed is that the information I've submitted on the "screener" surveys IS the actual information that companies want, and Focus Pointe turns around and sells my answers to their client companies, making Focus Pointe tons of money while I and other survey participants get nothing. Don't fall for this scam, as it is making Focus Pointe --focusgroup D0T com-- a ton of $$ at the expense of people who willingly answer their questions.
  • jizzler
    jizzler Posts: 160 Forumite
    Congratulations on resurrecting a 3 year old thread

I see you only joined to warn of of this potential scam. Well done to you
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • CharlieBilly
    CharlieBilly Posts: 2,319
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    yawningbaby1.jpg
  • Marteebies
    Marteebies Posts: 296 Forumite
    I know this might not be totally relevant to the conversation but I have taken part in focus groups recently to earn some cash on the side. Yeah they are often fun and interesting but I believe from my past experience that online paid survey sites and product testing is far more beneficial.

The two main websites that I use and would always recommend are:
    https://www.panelopinion.co.uk --> have a very low cash out rate so you can earn money quickly and withdraw it almost when you want!
    https://www.paidproducttesting.co.uk --> You get to try out latest products and 9/10 times you get to keep them as well as being rewarded!

I find well paid focus groups are too hard to find and they are often very strict on your characteristics, thats why I prefer sites like panelopinion where you are regularly given fun surveys to fill in which aren't time consuming!

However good luck to those of you who do take part in focus groups :):D:)
    :eek: 2014: £20 voucher from SurveyFriends, £10 cash payout from Panel Opinion too and working towards more from Valued Opinions currently.
    2013: £35 and £50 vouchers from SurveyFriends! More than £15 made from other paid surveys sites (Yougov, Panel Opinion, Valued Opinions, Pinecone, etc.) Happy so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure