Recommendations for portable battery charger

Comments

• Jumping Jacks. not cheap but very good, some work on mobile phones etc.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 December 2017 at 1:20AM
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    They are very good and would probably last 3 times as long as the Lidl/Aldi versions which do the same 'smart charger' things.

Only problem is they cost 5 times as much.
    Which goes back to the point raised in post #5. Also, the equivalent CTEK charger to the Lidl/Aldi ones doesn't cost 5 times as much.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    Jumping Jacks. not cheap but very good, some work on mobile phones etc.

Never had to jump start a mobile phone, don't know anyone called Jumping Jack either so probably don't need one.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Which goes back to the point raised in post #5. Also, the equivalent CTEK charger to the Lidl/Aldi ones doesn't cost 5 times as much.

You are right on both points - but the one you mentioned does cost approx 5 times as much. ;)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are very good and would probably last 3 times as long as the Lidl/Aldi versions which do the same 'smart charger' things.

Only problem is they cost 5 times as much.

Are Lidl / Aldi chargers £6.50 then? ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-XS-0-8-12V-1-2A/dp/B004RADNCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512382305&sr=8-2&keywords=ctek
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »

No it doesn't but I googled the one that was recommended. ;)

CTEK chargers tend to get good reviews, particularly the MXS 5.0.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=CTEK+MXS+5.0+Battery+Charger

and there are even dearer ones than that.
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    Another vote for CTEK, they can actually recover poorly batteries, along with prolonging the life of good ones.

if you use it a couple of times a year on a good battery, you will get years more life out of it, easeily recovering the initial investment in the charger.
  • motorguy
    No it doesn't but I googled the one that was recommended. ;)

CTEK chargers tend to get good reviews, particularly the MXS 5.0.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=CTEK+MXS+5.0+Battery+Charger

and there are even dearer ones than that.

I think the point being its wrong to assume a CTEK unit is x5 more expensive.

The more expensive ones are expensive for a reason and offer additional functionality that some people may or may not need. I've the MSX 5.0 as i had specific requirements for a car i kept in storage during the winter months.

But for general requirements i'd prefer the "standard" CTEK unit over some spurious unit from a supermarket, particularly given one can be bought for £30 ish.
  • motorguy
    sk240 wrote: »
    Another vote for CTEK, they can actually recover poorly batteries, along with prolonging the life of good ones.

if you use it a couple of times a year on a good battery, you will get years more life out of it, easeily recovering the initial investment in the charger.

+1

At £30 odd, they're great value. The 5.0 is worth the extra if you need the extra capability, but the standard unit is great. :beer:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    geek84 wrote: »
    Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.
    You've had suggestions for a cheap-supermarket-brand that's occasionally available.
    You've had suggestions for an extremely good, widely available premium brand - CTek chargers are rebranded by most of the premium car manufacturers.

If neither of them's good enough, what are you after from a recommendation?

FWIW, I have two CTeks - an MXS5.0 and an MXS3.6 - the difference is the maximum charging current, so the amount of time to fully charge a battery. The 5.0 is fitted into my camper van, the 3.6 is for use in the garage. For the chargers with maximum currents below 3.6A, the reconditioning features are missing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure